American heavies

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Rob, you're just not a half-way guy, diving into two four engine bombers alongside your other ongoing builds - very admirable! And you're off to a great start too.

Cheers cookie, just trying to get through as much of the stash as I can before I go back to work and my build rate plummets!!

Rob

• Like 1

I’ve used this new stuff it’s called seam-be-gone

S5TPV6L.jpg

VSQHtZJ.jpg

Not really, but wouldn’t it be a great invention. actually, the front of the underside needs a tiny bit more work. I used glue where there were little gaps then emery boards to grind the seem down followed by micromesh. Then more dabs of glue where it wasn’t quite flat, or still showing a slight gap, and then sending and micromeshing again, it’s coming out alright.

Rob

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, rob85 said:

I’ve used this new stuff it’s called seam-be-gone

S5TPV6L.jpg

Not really, but wouldn’t it be a great invention. actually, the front of the underside needs a tiny bit more work. I used glue where there were little gaps then emery boards to grind the seem down followed by micromesh. Then more dabs of glue where it wasn’t quite flat, or still showing a slight gap, and then sending and micromeshing again, it’s coming out alright.

Rob

Ha! I was about to look that up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Ha! I was about to look that up!

6 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Who makes the 'Seam-be-gone'? (if you dont mind me asking).

I’m sorry it was a poor joke, nothing but elbow grease went into getting rid of it! Sorry.

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’m sorry it was a poor joke, nothing but elbow grease went into getting rid of it! Sorry.

Rob

😂😂😂👍 ok, ya got me there! Good one. 🤭 

Edited by Markh-75
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Very nice, I was just moments ago looking up 1/72 B-24Ds inspired by this assembly bird 

The assembly ships are absolutely nuts, would love to do one but the paint job scares me! 

I do like the D, I want to do a desert, olive green (probably ‘axis nightmare’) and a rocket firings coastal command version!

Rob

• Like 1

Yes I like the assembly ships too; B-24s in pyjamas!

Minicraft do a B-24d in assembly ship guise in 1/72, worth a look.👀

The Privateer I’m building is based on the B-24, it’s a Consolidated aircraft.

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a Minicraft kit from USA last week and it arrived just yesterday! It’s a Martin PBM5-a Mariner only 1/72.

looks like a very good kit, options for cowl flaps, bomb bays control surfaces, can either be an amphibious aircraft with landing gear and there is a beaching gear option, the sprues are good quality with most in a sealed bag each and the instructions are a page to a stage rather than 2 pages full of little windows per stage. I’m really looking forward to building this!

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Yes I like the assembly ships too; B-24s in pyjamas!

Minicraft do a B-24d in assembly ship guise in 1/72, worth a look.👀

The Privateer I’m building is based on the B-24, it’s a Consolidated aircraft.

Nice, your building a privateer, which kit?

Italeri do an option with an assembly ship but it’s a bit boring. That’s one of the boxing’s I have, it’s got screaming Mimi as well but not in black which is a shame. It does have a polish RAF option which I do really want to do but there’s just too many cool choices when it comes to B24’s!

My Privateer is the 1/72 Matchbox one, and I have added to it by drilling and cutting/shaping the air outlet for the oil cooler and drilled holes in the insides of the nacelles and added exhaust pipes. My build is in the  on BIP pages.

the Minicraft B-24 is silver with jagged red stripes!

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1

Italeri do an option with an assembly ship but it’s a bit boring. That’s one of the boxing’s I have, it’s got screaming Mimi as well but not in black which is a shame. It does have a polish RAF option which I do really want to do but there’s just too many cool choices when it comes to B24’s!

If you go online and look for http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/477/Polka-Dot-Warriors.aspx you will see many options; then go into Hannants online and see what they have available! The decals come with a colour/markings plan too.

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So this is creeping along, the front cockpit area looks messy on the sides as the sun is shining through the paint on the clear parts, it should look a lot cleaner once painted on the outside, and predominantly hidden! 

Tfr47s7.jpgdidn’t bother with the decals, my current luck with clear parts means you will be lucky to see if it’s back and green in there.

oM1FXMW.jpg

9E6bB5S.jpg

KdxcvPD.jpg

V5K5EKj.jpg
47x5Qge.jpg

deCfUqs.jpg

now nose weight, I added some forward of the bomb bay and in the nose wheel, but it would appear I’ve used about 170g... the instructions say 90g is needed.... this better not be a tail sitter!

9Y5iDNh.jpg

dry fitted the top of the nose, looks ok! Sides will need tiding up!

I’ve also tried a bit of experimenting with metal paint.

Citadel ‘ironbreaker’ buy itself two cotes so would need a third.

Nqd9fPk.jpg

and then base cote of humbrol aluminium with ironbreaker over the top

3nlqyNP.jpg

on the left is the ironbreaker for contrast, I’ll probably do this the paint different shades on different panels. I’ll try it with a gloss black painted first and see what the result is.

thats all for now.

Rob

• Like 5

Nice progress, Rob :clap:  The clear parts look like they would benefit form a bath in Aqua Gloss, though - or maybe it's just the direct sunlight, as you say

Lovely metal finish, especially considered it's done by brush! :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

FWIW Halfords do a very nice Aluminium in a rattle can. Foolproof (I’ve used it!) and a really durable finish so you can overpaint it and do more work without fear of marking or scuffing. 

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2020 at 9:43 PM, rob85 said:

S5TPV6L.jpg

This photo is so satisfying I've gotten out my Hasegawa B-24 and I'm seriously considering building it next.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, elger said:

This photo is so satisfying I've gotten out my Hasegawa B-24 and I'm seriously considering building it next.

Ha, I am pretty happy with the top seem too! You should build it so far it’s a cracking kit!

Rob