American heavies

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Looks like you're making some real progress.  How's the parts fit on the kits?  For example, and from my vantage point, it looks like you can build the B-24 in sub-assemblies, paint, and then assemble without prejudice to the final product.  If so, that's a good feature, and probably why it's such an expensive kit.

Yeah the parts fit perfectly on the internals, you can just use the fuselage as a gig while the dry. The wings build up on their own but the fit to the body needs a bit of fettling. The only area I would say to look out for is the fit of the clear nose, I think I got the line up a little wrong and that has affected the line up of other parts! Also that clear plastic goes soft with glue that won’t turn normal, I found this out adding the weight! 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to the very kind @M.T.Dolby I received a new set of transfers for Bat Out of Hell, and I’m so glad I got a second chance at the as love the scheme and would have probably messed the repaint.

anyhow the transfers are on and I didn’t melt them!

Hl0eqLJ.jpg
and the rest of the main decals

zGPXwet.jpg
GWeZgfg.jpg

D7rUk3j.jpg

zT3x9mF.jpg

then I gave it an oil wash to bring out some detail but it didn’t do a lot.

gnzQ1vU.jpg

I won’t lie the step between the top bit and two lower bits of the nose is really annoying me but it’s a bit beyond me to rectify it without ruining the whole model. 

and the two together, not much to do now!

6HSKKXB.jpg

cheers all

Rob

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Can I ask what you used for the streaking on the wings of the B-17? And is it sealed in?

The streaking should go between the fuel tank vents, and not from them. 

resized_771fb524-4011-4e29-9f96-d1764881

Cheers for pointing it out, I see what you mean, no not sealed. It’s a tamiya weathering pallet so nothing fancy and shouldn’t be too hard to remove. I was going off a few pic’s of other builds as don’t know a huge amount of technical detail.

Rob

On 11/29/2020 at 7:04 PM, CedB said:

Looking very good Rob, a lovely pair (snurf) :) 

Who doesn’t love a...... oh yes the models, glad you like them!

On 11/29/2020 at 8:14 PM, giemme said:

Great to know you were able to save the decal job! :clap:

Both looking good - and big!

Ciao 

Cheers Giemme, not really sure where they will go when finished! A worry considering I have another 5 4 engined bombers in the stash

On 11/29/2020 at 8:19 PM, M.T.Dolby said:

Looking really great Rob, glad to see the decals put to such a great use! 😀

Well thanks again for the kindness, it was a real big help!

Rob

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, rob85 said:

not really sure where they will go when finished! A worry considering I have another 5 4 engined bombers in the stash

You'll have to go @CedB's way and hang them from the ceiling... :D  :D  

Ciao

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, giemme said:

You'll have to go @CedB's way and hang them from the ceiling... :D  :D  

Ciao

You joke, but this has been seriously discussed by my girlfriend, however her eyes glazed over when I started talk to her about arranging them in a holding pattern for landing as they are all built wheels down and would need to look authentic 

Rob

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Tiny bit more work this week, just some more weathering on both of these and masking the bomb aimers window on the B-24.

The B-17 had the exhaust staining re done with the above advice in mind.

J18o0pO.jpg

And then a little work on the B-24

DKls6RB.jpg
sK8p7ns.jpg

still needs a bit more work on the underside to get it where I would like it to be, a bit darker on the superchargers.

I’ll be realistic and say I won’t get any work done until 2021 dawns. This weekend/next week will be busy! My work load has really gone up due to redundancies and due to my new manager (technically an old manager that’s come back) is very.... very, ‘hands off’ and is passing most of the jobs he doesn’t want onto me! The issue I have is that I complete them so I’m not helping myself! Factor into this the prepping of Christmas food orders, 20 per half hour slot for 12 hours over three days which some fool put me in charge of, and store queue system, and social distancing, it’s going to be intense! I moan and say all this but actually, I enjoy it when it’s done and goes well... so here’s hoping.

hope your all having a safe and merry time!!

Rob

• Like 8

On 12/19/2020 at 1:15 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

It's looking good!  I think the Citadel paints give good effect.  I've been using Vallejo metallics on recent projects, but those need to be airbrushed on.

Cheers glad you like them!

I used Vallejo, really liked the depth of colour but when brushed I found they peeled away once dry.... could have just been my lazy surface prep though!

I really like the citadel paints for the metallic pigments and shades, these to have citadel, humbrol, revell and god knows what else I used! One I really couldn’t get on with which is normally my go to brush paint brand was tamiya.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, giemme said:

Love the weathering,  Rob :clap: :clap:

Enjoy your busy time, when you get back to the bench it will be even more fun :)

Ciao

thank Giemme, that means a lot! 

On 12/19/2020 at 3:10 PM, CedB said:

Very nice Rob, great finishes on both :) 

Cheers Ced, really appreciate the comment! I really like how the B-17 has come out but need to keep tweaking the B-24

On 12/19/2020 at 10:33 AM, Alan P said:

Two excellent builds, great to see such convincing results from brush painted finish, really good skills 👍

thank you! I really enjoy brush painting, I know it has limits but it enjoyable to try and find ways to get round or up to the limits. I just find it relaxing (when it goes right).

cheers all!

Rob

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’m still plugging away at these, and they are so close to the finish you could taste it! Not sure what it would taste like, probably not very nice.

so a few little jobs done which no one can really see but here’s a photo any way.

9yJz1sz.jpg

just little bits added here and there, guns paint touch ups etc.

The top of the B24’s nose ended up getting removed as I wasn’t happy with the fit and couldn’t fit the the side windows in.

DbqlDAX.jpg

side guns were then added, and a few pointed out bit on the top. Also did the little probes on the nose (not in picture).

kx4dDen.jpg

But they are in this one...

veapw8o.jpg

Props on and they were then given another layer of paint.

m6XAwIq.jpg
mqab7NE.jpg

masking taken off the bombers window (you can see where the plastic melted with the glue used for the lead weight, remember it’s weathering... a dented panel.

fYe4yx1.jpg

Also added some weathering to the wheels.

HDqiJhq.jpg

FMN11T2.jpgpic of that second layer of black paint on the probs.

Darkens the superchargers with some pastels.

elVQmuW.jpg

GIwLZba.jpglittle decals added to the props after paint dried.

and added them to the tail planes.

KCMSzAj.jpgAnd added to the tail.

vmJ2C8o.jpg

JfDKL5c.jpg

so that’s where we are at with the B24, yellow tips on the props and a few finishing touches and we are there! Done!

now for the B17!

gJgzW25.jpgAdded the pokey out bits.

T3Ur64l.jpg
2lH7sPm.jpg

wheels got touched up and made dusty.

SnOh3Bl.jpg

decals were added to the props

1Op28RR.jpg

mans that’s it really! Just needs a couple more decals on the tail, last bits of painting touch ups and add the bomb bay doors then we are done!!

just need to consider the next build! Maybe something slightly smaller!

Rob

• Like 6

Wonderful job on the metallic finishes!

Having just paint stripped my current tiny build twice and resorted to a rattlecan of Halfords Aluminium in the garden I am freshly reminded of how hard it is to brush paint a nice metallic finish!

Hope your job is giving you less stress now too...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

They do look very nice indeed.

As for hanging them from the ceiling, You've weighted the wheels, That's what your Girlfriend wasn't telling you! She sounds like a keeper! :laugh:

Thank Pete! I’ve decided to put them in the front room now, they will be a nice surprise for her when she sees them, she will love them I’m sure!

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice job Rob, a couple of stonkers :) 

Cheers Ced I’m pretty pleased with these two.

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wonderful job on the metallic finishes!

Having just paint stripped my current tiny build twice and resorted to a rattlecan of Halfords Aluminium in the garden I am freshly reminded of how hard it is to brush paint a nice metallic finish!

Hope your job is giving you less stress now too...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian! Brush painting it is a paint, I’ve tried spraying before and it always ends in tears for me.

brush painting reminds me of the ‘fast show’ sketch based on Wallace and gromit animators  

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Both looking gorgeous, Rob! :clap:  :worthy:

Ciao

Cheers G very much appreciated 

Rob

• Like 5

So chaps these two are now complete, sorry there’s no progress shots but it was just tiny jobs so didn’t feel the need. 

both RFI post are below:

so that’s these all done.... not sure what to do next... possibly a RAAF Mustang or maybe something Italian 🤔

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1