American heavies

Hi all,

I currently appear to have a thing for American bombers. I recently finished the Airfix B 25 and it made me realise that I don’t have any of the big guys, the heavy hitters, the strategic bombing team! Yet I have, at last count, 7 in the stash! 

so to thin the heard as it were and because I’ve been wanting to build a four engined beast for ages, I’ve decided to build two at once! Why not we are quarantined after all!

so here they are, both were bought for me by my lovely girlfriend on the last two birthdays! Isn’t she a love.

rahAQzE.jpg

Airfix’s B17 G and Hase’s B24 J.

so that’s a lot of plastic right there, and if I’m honest I don’t know where I will put them once done.

options I want to go with are as follows....

B17:

I got this lovely set on eBay, which was a nice find. It has lots of options but only really the nose art and not the letter codes, unless they are none standard.

tSr8Ndy.jpg

VJXaY8w.jpg

I liked the look of ‘shoo shoo baby’, ‘sleepy time gal’ and ‘heaven sent’ but have decided on.

XTruMJx.jpgsleepy time gal, I like the scheme and the missing bits can all be masked or taken from a generic sheet (like the codes on the tail fin). I found a beautiful pic of her in formation, it’s off a the IWM

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/2510

696zfhj.jpg

and here is the close up of her on the right.

3r9vVFa.jpg

so that’s the one! On to number 2!

B24:

I have the sky model decal shee which has a great choice of J’s D’s and even a H. And the toss up was between the below.

fFpT2sc.jpg

K4P09pM.jpg

and the decals as the colour guide are pants.

2rAkbya.jpg

oHfthpX.jpg

‘bat out of hell’ and then shack’ I’m going to go with ‘bat out of hell’ as I like the big nose art and the fact it’s NMF with grey undersides. There are pictures of it in all over NMF and with the grey.

pictures from here, this guy really likes bat themed aviation.

http://www.bathead.com/noseart1.html

PXWup7a.jpg

looks all NMF

kDMgQhL.jpg

looks like grey undersides, there was a better pic of this but can’t find it at the mo.

so that’s it, work will commence soon. And as always help and feedback welcome! I might not act on all of it but it’s good to hear!

Rob

• Like 20

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Now THAT'S the kinda girl I'M talkin about...... ‼️😎

she is also a red headed nutter as well, and I would like to add she was given clear direction! But yes she’s a cracker

2 hours ago, elger said:

:popcorn:

Hope you’re comfy 

23 minutes ago, giemme said:

Wow Rob, you've set yourself to a BIG task! Well, two actually :D

Following... :popcorn: :popcorn:

Ciao

Well yes it could be considered ambitious I suppose, but I’m sure it will be fine!

it only took 4 years to build 7  1/2 spitfires, this has the same amount of engines but only two fuselages! It’ll be a snip!

Rob

• Haha 3

Not sure I've got this quite right.

Is your B-17G going to be (4) 2107112?

If so, it is from production block B-17G-35-DL, 42-106984 to 42-107233 and, as the photograph shows, has the 'long' early, original Boeing tail turret.

I did not know the Airfix kit was buildable with anything other than the Cheyenne Modification tail turret, being the short one.

Your decal sheet illustrates the Cheyenne turret well on 'Sleepy Time Gal' but I believe that illustration is in error. It certainly conflicts with the photographic evidence.

Hope I am not messing things up too much here,

Michael

Edited by Michael51
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice to see the big guns being built Rob, nice choice of markings too. :popcorn:

I have a few multi engine bombers in the stash, seems Lancasters are winning with 3 and Forts about the same.

Cheers, I have two Lancasters that I want to build but need a few more bits before I start them, so that’s a while off.

5 hours ago, Michael51 said:

Not sure I've got this quite right.

Is your B-17G going to be (4) 2107112?

If so, it is from production block B-17G-35-DL, 42-106984 to 42-107233 and, as the photograph shows, has the 'long' early, original Boeing tail turret.

I did not know the Airfix kit was buildable with anything other than the Cheyenne Modification tail turret, being the short one.

Your decal sheet illustrates the Cheyenne turret well on 'Sleepy Time Gal' but I believe that illustration is in error. It certainly conflicts with the photographic evidence.

Hope I am not messing things up too much here,

Michael

You are 100% right Michael, also the little 0 on the tail is a different shape and size to the one on the decal sheet..... hmmmm. I need to think now as I don’t really what to buy the replacement tail, there is a 3D printed one but comes with out clear parts.

hmmmm

Rob 

• Like 1

Rob,

You have, I think, 43-37707 "Madame Shoo Shoo' on that sheet.

It is from block B-17G-70-BO 43-37674 to 43-37873, a Boeing-built, probably to almost certainly Cheyenne tail-turreted (as in your Airfix kit) block of 200 aircraft (the DL in the previous message denotes Douglas-built).

The only caveat here is that although this particular B-17G block was built with the 'long' Boeing turret, there is a web site that infers that after initial production,43-37707 passed through the Cheyenne Modification Centre prior to going overseas.

There, it would almost certainly have had the 'long' original tail turret replaced with the more advanced Cheyenne version: see https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/43-37707-madame-shoo-shoo/

If I were making the Airfix kit, this would be enough to convince me: there are wiser and more knowledgeable people on the forum who may want to confirm or contradict this and hopefully they will.

So, given that they carry essentially the same red markings (as both groups belonged to 1st Air Division) and it is your preferred NMF finish, it could be an easy swap and solution.

Or, get the Revell B-17G, which has parts for a choice of either tail turret.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Edited by Michael51
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2020 at 11:45 AM, Michael51 said:

Rob,

You have, I think, 43-37707 "Madame Shoo Shoo' on that sheet.

It is from block B-17G-70-BO 43-37674 to 43-37873, a Boeing-built, probably to almost certainly Cheyenne tail-turreted (as in your Airfix kit) block of 200 aircraft (the DL in the previous message denotes Douglas-built).

The only caveat here is that although this particular B-17G block was built with the 'long' Boeing turret, there is a web site that infers that after initial production,43-37707 passed through the Cheyenne Modification Centre prior to going overseas.

There, it would almost certainly have had the 'long' original tail turret replaced with the more advanced Cheyenne version: see https://b17flyingfortress.de/en/b17/43-37707-madame-shoo-shoo/

If I were making the Airfix kit, this would be enough to convince me: there are wiser and more knowledgeable people on the forum who may want to confirm or contradict this and hopefully they will.

So, given that they carry essentially the same red markings (as both groups belonged to 1st Air Division) and it is your preferred NMF finish, it could be an easy swap and solution.

Or, get the Revell B-17G, which has parts for a choice of either tail turret.

Hope this helps,

Michael

Thanks for all the info, Madame Shoo Shoo it is! My little girl will be disappointed as you ‘could nearly make my name from it, and she not naked which is cool’ it was missing the i, shame, but at least madam shoo shoo has her clothes on! 

On 4/24/2020 at 2:07 PM, bbudde said:

Hello, I will also foollw here.

Cheers

Good to have you along.

hopefully will get started on this in next couple of days.

Rob 

• Like 2

So a starts a start right! And it’s started with the B-25.

I was daunted with the level of detail in a big kit as I’m maybe not the most precise builder and had a sinking feeling I would mess up the alignment and screw the build right at the start...

I needn’t have worried! It’s a Hase kit after all, but even so I glued the first internal bits together and placed them in the fuselage half to use as a jig and the just dropped in perfectly!

see

fjcaJrt.jpg

and the rest happily followed.

V8DQzJ8.jpg

the external detail is a delight.

vorVGIi.jpg

lovely

so I’ve opted for silver aft of the CP, having looked at as many internal pictures as I could it seemed the right way to go. Also I’ll use silver with a bit of green for the bomb bay. See below.

7rUCHhF.jpgfirst two cotes in the bomb bay and waist gunners area.

6T0V6aB.jpg

so there we are, like I said it’s a start.

cheers

Rob

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Nice start on that. I like Hase kits with one exception: The price here!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, giemme said:

Nice start indeed, Rob! :clap:

Ditto on the prices, @bbudde ....

Ciao

Cheers both!

Yeah, other than some old tool fighters I haven’t built many Hase kits, and definitely not any larger bombers like this! That’s due to the cost, I can’t justify it! However this was on an auction site for £40 including postage, so I sent a link to the girlfriend about 2 weeks to my birthday and told her to snap it up. Otherwise I’ve not seen them for less than £60 really, the odd one in the high 50’s but that’s it.

Rob  

• Like 2

Keep an eye out at shows, if they ever happen again.  Hasegawa B-17s in AAHales boxings are often only around £15, especially if you want a builder rather than MIB for a collection!  Similarly smaller planes are often only £5 to £10.  We have a vendor at our club who I’ve beaten down to a tenner for the massive Neptune and the same for the 1/32 F-5.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, malpaso said:

Keep an eye out at shows, if they ever happen again.  Hasegawa B-17s in AAHales boxings are often only around £15, especially if you want a builder rather than MIB for a collection!  Similarly smaller planes are often only £5 to £10.  We have a vendor at our club who I’ve beaten down to a tenner for the massive Neptune and the same for the 1/32 F-5.

This is ture, shows are good for bargains I’ve picked up the odd one and like to keep my eyes peeled. Sounds like you have had your fair share of them 👍🏻

36 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Lumme - a two hander and multi-engined. This should keep you out of trouble for a bit Rob. Sure to be a colourful pairing.

Well this and finishing off my Barracuda in the Navy GB, and at some point building up the nuts to paint HMS Belfast! Hands are truly full! As I said to @giemme once, I’m a quantity not quality kinda guy.

and I got a little bit more time today by ignoring the very lady that made this build possible, she is working from home and I think needs space.... my excuse anyway.

so here we go, little bit more done. 

the bomb bay has had a cote of mr metal colour to give the silver more depth and then a polish with a brush.

JKazcZW.jpg

followed by a wash made from tamiya smoke, clear red and brown, so bit of sepia to show up detail and give the look of grime and slight corrosion.

Fe8eoKZ.jpg

The same was done with the side panels 

d7o4nqk.jpg

and here it is all dry fitted

VuaqQM2.jpg
q0pueiw.jpg

then it was the turn of the waist gunners, they had their anti slip floor put down, then dry brushed with the brush I use to polish mr metal colour, and then giving the above wash. I also put in place the little 50 cal (?) stands.

0lz6Swx.jpg

also last thing for today I added the bomb racks which are green.

ZZGWhwU.jpg

the little post will need painting. That will get weathered and the bombs added.

I have also been painting lots of the other bits ready for assembly, engines, guns, cockpit etc.

cheers all

Rob

• Like 10

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That bomb bay has come up a treat! The wash has really worked well. And your girlfriend is obvs a keeper...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I’ve never used it before so was a bit worried how it would turn out, I’m pretty happy with it! 

yeah I would say she is!

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Love the B-24; one of my favourite aircraft; BIG and rugged!

I tried to build one before but the build stalled as I didn’t have what’s needed to complete the scheme. I have a real soft spot for the B-24, good thing really as I have 3 of the minicraft kits in the stash!

Rob

Mini craft look like being good kits, I’m waiting for my Martin Mariner and it’s a Minicraft; looks a very good kit. Last time I built a B-24 was the Airfix kit which I spent a lot of time with but it looked Ace! 
I like B-17 a lot but I have a real soft spot for the B-24! I’d have more but it’s finding space; I would like to make a Ploesti B-24D though. My B-24 is a die cast of James Stewart’s B-24, looks brilliant!

Edited by Markh-75
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Mini craft look like being good kits, I’m waiting for my Martin Mariner and it’s a Minicraft; looks a very good kit. Last time I built a B-24 was the Airfix kit which I spent a lot of time with but it looked Ace! 
I like B-17 a lot but I have a real soft spot for the B-24! I’d have more but it’s finding space; I would like to make a Ploesti B-24D though. My B-24 is a die cast of James Stewart’s B-24, looks brilliant!

It’s the ploesti markings that ended up with my buying 3 B-24D’ but I also want to build a coastal command aircraft as well, so they can wait in the wings for another project.

the minicraft kit is good and can be bought at a much more reasonable price. my issue was the base kit was a PB4Y-1 Which I though I could turn into a B24J used by the Dutch but the nose of the kit is a different shape to the J where it meets the turret. I would build it as a PB4Y-1 but the bomb aimers window was short shot and has a big hole in it. I may turn it into a D. 

love that Flying Fortress cartoon!

Rob

So a little more progress for this beast!

all the bombs were painted and given little yellow nipples

3eAW73V.jpg

phZA3pc.jpg

the yellow was painted by hand as you can probably tell. They were tidied up a bit and then fitted into the bomb bay on their ladders.

6EN0ek7.jpg

n9jEcvb.jpg

and then had a dry fit with the fuselage 

Which I thought I took a pick of but evidently didn’t! I added so weight in the little section forward of the bombs and more will be added when the nose goes on.

here she is closed up and then with the tail plane added.

W8IrrJ3.jpg
m1nZXEQ.jpg

bit of work to do on the seam but nothing that’s too scary hopefully!

thats all for now.

Rob

Oh apart from I found some flash!!

Ej7H2UR.jpg

shocking

• Like 7