Airfix Avro Lancaster B.I - 'G-George coming in, ready or not'

Second entry for this exciting GB - the well known Avro Lancaster B.I, coming in with an engine on fire! Excuse me while I drool again over the box art! 

I got this kit several years ago when I was going overboard on picking up the Airfix 'Red Stripe' boxings in preparation for many trips down memory lane. This example was a bit grubby but I resisted the temptation to get a better condition boxing.

When I built this as a kid, I put it all together, wheels up, then applied the paints - not sure if my eyes are up to that these days but I can always try again, taking a bit more care this time.

Here is the box!

uFoqbWS.jpg

Open sesame and I've gone straight back to 1969! I may be some time.......

fL1iSud.jpg

• Like 24

Nice one! Best of luck with this build.   One that I built as a kid, but haven't seen in kit form since.

I did buy and build an 80s Airfix Lancaster which was released with the same artwork.

A neglected and incomplete example of this model turned up at Jet Age, which I was able to restore with new decals.

I had an original set of G George decals, which I'd hope to use.  Sadly it just wasn't possible - so have a plan B ready.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dansk said:

Fantastic. Now THAT is boxart. 🤩

The contents look really fresh , are the decals usable?

The Instructions and decals look like some sort of dirty oil has leaked on to them so we will find out about those decals later. I'll try to get them pressed up against a window to be improved by sunlight and I'll give them a coat with 'Decal film' to give them a chance.

By coincidence Mike,  I just picked up one of these off eBay for a reasonable price a few weeks ago. 

Definitely nostalgia kicking in for me too as I recall getting this kit as my "big present" for Christmas when I lived in Singapore in 1966. I was was six years old, mad on aircraft and Airfix models and so, so excited by the box-art. It was however huge, a bigger and more complex model than I had attempted, being used to pocket money 2/6 kits in plastic bags (Zero's & Spitfires etc), so my next door neighbour's son was asked to build and finish it for me. I recall he did a great job and it looked fantastic!

Unfortunately I don't think it lasted long when it was delivered back to base to commence operations... in the hands of its inexperienced crew... not sure what happened to it... took some heavy damage and certainly never completed a full tour... reported missing in action at some point :). But I loved that kit.

I have often wondered if I could do that kit justice today... So as I've some time on my hands at the moment, I've bought one to build alongside an Airfix 2nd generation Lanc from 1979 and plan to give it and its younger brother a few after market upgrades and see how it goes. I've installed a CMK resin cockpit and scratch built the front interior structure. It will get resin wheels and lowered flaps in due course. Unfortunately I have discovered the port engine is AWOL in my kit :rant:. I've dug out an old half built 2nd gen Airfix Dambuster from the loft as a donor kit: fortunately the engine is a pretty good fit!

I am undecided what to do with the surface detai at the momentl - I could rub it down or, as rivets are back in fashion, I might have a go at adding panel lines and leave the rivets (lightly sanded maybe - I know they aren't at all accurate but I think might create a nice effect under the paint). I've also got some modern decals from the later gen kit which Airfix once released as G for George. I have to say the old girl is looking pretty good for her age so far (and not a sticky glue finger mark in sight!).

Good luck with your build!

Rich

• Like 3

Thanks, Rich, and I was also thinking about getting the 1979 kit as I thought it came complete with bombs, whereas G for George and even the latest kit doesn't. If you are posting your builds then I'll enjoy seeing them. All the best. Mike 

• Like 1

OK, Pat, thanks for the offer. That's the reason I got the 'Bomber Re-supply Set' to go with my new tool Lancaster because it has all the bombs included. I don't want to be saying 'The more bombs, the merrier!' but wait until the dust settles after this GB and I may take you up on your offer. Thanks. Mike.

• Like 1

A couple of early boxes to give you a shove in the right direction.... 😁

The first G for George...

IMG-1432.jpg

And the second.

IMG-1354.jpg

I've tried to pick a favourite and failed every time. They both look stunning to me!

• Like 6

Such a cool subject choice Mike and honestly this would have to be THE best box art ever to grace a plastic kit’s lid. 

Now it’s always surprised me that both Airfix and Revell chose ‘Australian’ Lancasters for their respective kits decal schemes and even Matchbox supplied decals for A66-1 of all the famous Lancasters that they could have selected. As an Aussie, this was always great to see and thankfully this trend continues today with HK models huge 1/32 Lanc having both G-George and S-Sugar decals included OOB.. might hint this to Mrs RL as a possible 50th Birthday pressie!! 

Cant wait to see this one Mike. I’m sure you know, the original sits in our National War Memorial so there’s plenty of good photos online to help you through. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

I've tried to pick a favourite and failed every time. They both look stunning to me!

Thanks Tony. I've never really sat down and had a look at all the early / pre Roy Cross artwork but looking at these boxes, there is plenty of action there - flak flying and guns blazing. Even though I formerly thought it might be like looking at coloured drawings of the Lancasters, they really still have loads of life about them. In the second box, my impression is that G-George is flying straight out of the mission into the kit box and into a 10-year old's life! This kit will be on the go soon - I promise!

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Such a cool subject choice Mike and honestly this would have to be THE best box art ever to grace a plastic kit’s lid. 

Now it’s always surprised me that both Airfix and Revell chose ‘Australian’ Lancasters for their respective kits decal schemes and even Matchbox supplied decals for A66-1 of all the famous Lancasters that they could have selected. As an Aussie, this was always great to see and thankfully this trend continues today with HK models huge 1/32 Lanc having both G-George and S-Sugar decals included OOB.. might hint this to Mrs RL as a possible 50th Birthday pressie!! 

Cant wait to see this one Mike. I’m sure you know, the original sits in our National War Memorial so there’s plenty of good photos online to help you through. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

Thanks Dave - that box art must have seared itself into my consciousness as a kid because even in adulthood, when I had a touch of cellulitus (after a snapped Achilles Tendon) with a fever, I remember being a bit delirious in bed at night and lying there thinking 'Got to keep the four engines going....' Mrs V said I was making no sense - situation normal, then!

It's probably no surprise it's a RAAF Lancaster because of the numbers of Aussies in Bomber Command at the time - also, maybe the Aussies were quicker to recognise the great sacrifice of the crews, the Brits being a bit slower off the mark. 

Thanks for that mention of the Australian National War Memorial - I've copied the link here for myself so I can keep coming back for a browse - there is G-George!

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/george

Fingers crossed for the Christmas pressie!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

The first G for George...

IMG-1432.jpg

And the second.

IMG-1354.jpg

Wonderful stuff tony, i can’t choose either, both are fantastic.

• Like 2

Hi,

I got this as a Christmas present when it first came out - the same year as the as the Wellington if my memory is still working. I am trying to remember if this has the IP printed on the paper of the instructions to cut out and glue? The Wellington certainly did but the instructions were printed in red ink so guess what colour the IP was?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Yes, Pete, this one has the IP and the Flight Engineer’s Panel printed on the Instructions for cutting out. I was going to photocopy to avoid damaging the Instructions.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yes, Dansk, getting towards the end of the new tool Lancaster B.III which carried on from the recently finished STGB and desperate now to get ‘G-George’ started. I’m getting my ideas together on what to do about the fuselage windows for which no clear parts are included!

• Like 1