Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III - 'new tool' first build

Ventora3300

I had a look around to see if there were any images of an 'A-Apple' flying with 460 Squadron (Code 'AR') - I found this!

HREI4OH.jpg

LINCOLNSHIRE, ENGLAND. 1943-09-08. EMBLEM OF "A" FOR APPLE, A LANCASTER AIRCRAFT OF NO. 460 SQUADRON RAAF OF BOMBER COMMAND BASED AT RAF STATION BINBROOK. THE ROSE, KIWI, MAPLE LEAF AND KANGAROO REPRESENT THE DIFFERENT COUNTRIES TO WHICH THE MEMBERS OF THE CREW BELONG. THE BOMBS REPRESENT THE NUMBER OF OPERATIONAL TRIPS OVER ENEMY TERRITORY, AND THE THREE B'S DENOTE THE RAIDS ON BERLIN.

(and I believe 'Ice Cream Cones' stood for missions to Italy).

I've done it now - I'll need to produce this as nose-art for this build!

• Like 4

All the transfers are on now - with the exception of eight tiny dots which are to go on the upper wing tips. What are they? I tried a couple and they just look like specs of dirt on the paintwork.

LwM2KM5.jpg

Props are on, the aerial loop, the pitot tube and the bomb aimer's perpex bubble too. The turrets are underway and I think a lot of touching up on the frames is required. The rear gunner is in and the others are being 'altered' to fit in.

SRrA1Rw.jpg

I made up the AR-A codes from those included in the BBMF set I got from somewhere. Hope the joins are not visible.

0HdkII7.jpg

Vr4TDw6.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on the turrets on A-Apple.

Front turret was popped in and had to slide under the 'post cap' already on the fuselage - immediately popped off the perspex - I think the whole turret unit should go on before the retaining post part is put on.

5p2ndfX.jpg

Perspex on now and you can see both occupants in the front. Where has all that dust come from?

JvvMB2V.jpg

Charlie in the rear turret can be seen as well. Some satin cote required on the DG touch-ups.

9SyBRlh.jpg

Mid upper turret is ready to go on now and the additional gunner can be seen as well. You can see the vast improvement that Airfix have made in the turret shape from the original G-George kit, and the Stirling Mk.III brought in as a mod by me.

Pdfli36.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

This new tool Airfix Lancaster B.III is finally finished now with the main canopy framing painted and on. The nose art for A-Apple of 460 Squadron has been reproduced - had to get my son to take the B/W image and colour it in using Photoshop and he was amazed to see it appear on the finished kit, via clear decal paper of course. 

zCXYjGL.jpg

yJ7wyxn.jpg

978ZxgT.jpg

0queOvE.jpg

Lovely wheel well detail in this kit and of course the option via the 'Re-Supply Set' to add in a full bomb load.

MrDJcow.jpg

(I looked too closely and now see that the main canopy still has a gap to be filled underneath and the bomb tally needs a touch up).

oe7pkGF.jpg

G-George has swooped in to see what all the fuss was about and to join in a comparison. Main of the new details in the new tool kit did come across to G-George but this elder sister will stand a bit more handling. Look at A-Apple the wrong way and some small part detaches itself! An enjoyable experience all round.

a2HVKn7.jpg

jWxuTaE.jpg

po3h4KY.jpg

• Like 2