Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III - 'new tool' first build

Ventora3300

I'm a bit late to this one as I've been trying to finish off 'P-51 Comparison Builds' which gripped me after that STGB finished. I was desperate to get in on this STGB and to graduate to doing one of the bigger Airfix 'new tool' kits so here I go - I recently treated myself to the Lancaster B.III kit and, because no bomb load is included, also the Bomber Re-Supply Set. I might be daft enough to attempt to complete the Lancaster build before the end date and include the bombs but no way will I be able to do all the re-supply vehicles as well.

There are several builds of this kit already in progress so thanks to you all in advance for all the hints I'll pick up.

(I am putting myself under this pressure to avoid the excuse of inflicting another 'old tool' Airfix kit on the BM community - I'm going to do that in the 'Kit I built as a kid' GB!).

Here are the boxes then - gulp!

IbLHBjF.jpg

uRFWGSK.jpg

T052MWW.jpg

FFeFZaD.jpg

• Like 11

That's the spirit! Go for it, the kits are well worth the effort. 

You have really given yourself the best of all worlds here, what with your earlier G for George build as well. I don't have the current Lancaster kit, but it looks a gem. I do have the resupply set and it really is a stunner. I thought the £20 or so it costs a bit much, but once I took a look inside the box I was blown away, the contents are just incredible. The price is a real bargain.

I'll be following for sure.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nice to see you here Mike, you’ll be busy but have many friends on here to encourage you on the way.  Looking forward to seeing another one of these great kits being built. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Lovely sunny day and lovely and quiet in my corner of the house so this new tool Lancaster kit is getting started!

e4ZqP3g.jpg

Lovely soft plastic and lovely fit. Lovely, lovely, lovely...did I say lovely? I'm also taking the OOB option literally.

2gdQENc.jpg

The cockpit and bomb bay just dry fitted to the starboard fuselage at the moment. The spars were a bit tight to the port side and were refusing to go in. I've taken note of the option suggested by others to chop off the ends of the spars that locate in the inner engine nacelles so that the wings can be built up and completed separately - having a think on that....

oylfDND.jpg

• Like 6

On 24/04/2020 at 19:39, dogsbody said:

Before you cut off the ends of the spars, build up the undercarriage bay detail first, then saw those off the spar ends.

Chris

Thanks, Chris, that should make the section removed quite robust. I am going to leave the decision at late as possible during building up the undercarriage bays and wings.

The navigator's and radio operator's table with partition and one seat (?) is assembled and fitted. The thought occurred to me here that most of the crew are sitting right on top of the bomb bay! Bomb sight and Engineer's seat are in.

I'm getting some black colour on first and want to make sure that the inside surfaces of the window ports are painted black - seen it done on other builds and it makes the windows look realistic rather than seeing bare plastic around the 'perspex'. I put masking tape on the outside surfaces of the fuselage to avoid paint going through and running down the outside. Bomb bay and inside bomber's compartment also in black. Since there is going to be a lot of black on this kit, I'm using up some spare Humbrol 85 'Anthracite', which I normally use on tyres. It's satin in finish but I can varnish in matt as required.

Oi9mn8Y.jpg

954SVBj.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 6

Good to see you getting this one started Mike. Nice progress so far and always good to think ahead and get those windows sorted out early. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike,

I pride myself of being a simple man, and when I saw the contents of the box and the size of it, I blanched. 

That is a hell of a lot of plastic in there! I am not sure I can count that far...

Anyway, you've jumped in, and I am sure you will take to this kit like a fish to whisky!

I shall be watching from the back.

Great show.

JR

• Like 1

On 27/04/2020 at 10:57, Rabbit Leader said:

Good to see you getting this one started Mike. Nice progress so far and always good to think ahead and get those windows sorted out early. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks again, Dave, - this tip I picked up for the black window surrounds was from your Antarctic Beaver build, if you remember!

On 27/04/2020 at 17:53, jean said:

Hi Mike,

I pride myself of being a simple man, and when I saw the contents of the box and the size of it, I blanched. 

That is a hell of a lot of plastic in there! I am not sure I can count that far...

Anyway, you've jumped in, and I am sure you will take to this kit like a fish to whisky!

I shall be watching from the back.

Great show.

JR

Yes, JR, there is a lot of plastic. I had a moment of panic when I looked at one of the other 'new tool' builds and saw that there was something mounted at the end of the Navigator's table which didn't appear in my kit. Putting 2 and 2 together, it must be something to do with one of the early radar installations - my Instructions for the B.III tell you to cut something off the table support end - see pic below. I thought it was a bit of spare plastic, there because of the molding process. The Instructions for the later 'B.III (FE)' kit give it as an 'A/B choice'.

What I've also noticed that there is no seat for the Radio Operator to sit on and actually only the pilot figure provided - the rest of the crew are AWOL! I'll need to do something about that.

I've noticed that the fuselage windows sit in the 'black' area on the fuselage sides so this means I can paint the fuselage before putting in the windows and so no masking required. Done. Interior green areas next. 

CmFX2UX.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Mike,

yes, I believe it can quickly become fairly confusing.. Not just for the poor modeler, but for the Airfix techs as well!

Soon, there will be a notice on the box recommending how many PhDs are required to build the kit successfully.

For now, I am sure you'll do very well, and to be honest, if a seat is missing in the radio operator shack, nobody will ever notice!

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

Am I going mad? I've just spotted that this new tool Airfix Lancaster kit has four somethings hanging below the left hand side of the IP - are these supposed to be throttle levers? If so, aren't the throttle levers on the right of the IP and pilot, like in the Dambusters clip attached?

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Am I going mad? I've just spotted that this new tool Airfix Lancaster kit has four somethings hanging below the left hand side of the IP - are these supposed to be throttle levers? If so, aren't the throttle levers on the right of the IP and pilot, like in the Dambusters clip attached?

They should be the rudder pedals which, on the real aeroplane, were suspended on a bar behind the lower part of the panel.  It sounds like you might have a short shot as the pedals themselves hang between each pair of arms and have definitely been present in all of my Airfix Lancasters so far.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

They should be the rudder pedals which, on the real aeroplane, were suspended on a bar behind the lower part of the panel.  It sounds like you might have a short shot as the pedals themselves hang between each pair of arms and have definitely been present in all of my Airfix Lancasters so far.

Thanks, Stever219, that makes more sense - they are right in front of the pilot's seat. There appears just to be the sides of the pedals but nothing for the feet to rest upon - Instructions seem to show the same. There is a bit of a lump over on the right hand side of the IP  which could be the mounting for the throttle levers. Looks like I'll have to be adding in some plastic there. Thanks and all the best. Mike.

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks, Stever219, that makes more sense - they are right in front of the pilot's seat. There appears just to be the sides of the pedals but nothing for the feet to rest upon - Instructions seem to show the same. There is a bit of a lump over on the right hand side of the IP  which could be the mounting for the throttle levers. Looks like I'll have to be adding in some plastic there. Thanks and all the best. Mike.

My pleasure Mike, and thanks for posting that clip from the film, it always brings a lump to my throat.  I can’t get at my Lancasters just now but I’ll see if I can get into the Loft of Doom later and have a look at the B. I (FE).  Good luck with adding the throttles and prop control levers, not a job I’d fancy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Airfix instructions:

49837535043_481d042827_c.jpg

Airfix rudder pedals:

49837535073_2a7bcab65a_o.jpg

Does your part look short-shot?

Chris

Many thanks, Chris. I had a proper look now under a light and the rudder pedals are there, thank goodness. I also looked at the front of the IP using a magnifier and there is decent detail there of throttle levers - needs bringing out with some dry brushing. Panic over. 

• Like 2

On 30/04/2020 at 09:52, Ventora3300 said:

Has anyone noticed that this is a younger version of @Rabbit Leader sitting in the Flight Engineer's seat......

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Has anyone noticed that this is a younger version of @Rabbit Leader sitting in the Flight Engineer's seat......

Ha!! Well the BoB only lasted so long... beats flying a desk for the rest of the war! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Airfix instructions:

49837535043_481d042827_c.jpg

Airfix rudder pedals:

49837535073_2a7bcab65a_o.jpg

Does your part look short-shot?

Chris

Thanks for posting this Chris, I can defer my trip to the loft for a few days now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The windows are in, the ones beside the bomb aimer's compartment being very fiddly.

The Radio operators seat got made up and fitted and a good deal of painting done in the interior. Some control panels, boxes and switches picked out in different colours and the decals in.

vW4mVHI.jpg

LYDBkCz.jpg

The pilot is getting kitted up but we don't have a crew! Time to go to the 'crewing up' shed!

aN1Qp6B.jpg

Painting of the wings and tail pieces in progress while the crew get kitted out - they will need to go in before the fuselage is closed up. Recognition lights under the rear fuselage got drops of colour on the inside - looks quite good from the outside.

lVlKbpL.jpg

• Like 5

I’ve found that a little bit of aluminium foil glued shiny side down behind the I/d lamps and landing lights gives them a bit of “sparkle” and helps them to stand out against the dark undersides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2