Does anybody know....

.... if there are any  IM kits of the TIE Defender and, TIE Bomber in a decent scale (1/72 or larger).

I know there us a resin kit of the Defender but, I don't like resin and, such kits are usually not only exorbitantly expensive but, only produced in small numbers.

Yes, I know, I could try Scale mates but, I don't think it's the most reliable database and, I find the wealth of knowledge here a lot more useful.

I have the FineMolds TIE fighter and, TIE Interceptor. Excellent models. Be nice to have their other incarnations to add to the collection.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Only resin kits of the TIE Bomber as far as I know.  The defender has been done by a couple of table top games companies but small scale.

There are a few 3d file sets out there if you have access to a 3d printer.

On 4/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, Albeback52 said:

I don't like resin and, such kits are usually not only exorbitantly expensive but, only produced in small numbers.

One of the reasons resin kits are expensive compared to injection molded plastic is the low quantity of production.  Generally these are labors of love produced by "garage manufacturers" who do well to make any profit considering the amount of labor they invest in researching a subject, creating a master, and casting kits for sale.  While the price is often high, the tradeoff is being able to have a model of a relatively obscure subject that you have a passion for.  When you compare to the time & effort it would take to scratchbuild, or not having the model at all, the cost of a resin kit may not be so high after all.

Barring a new theatrical film that highlights one of these vehicles, I would put the chances of an injection molded TIE Bomber at no better than 50-50, and significantly less for the Defender since its only canon appearances to date are from the animated series.

That being said, both of the types you asked about are relatively straightforward modifications of existing kits if you aren't afraid to try scratchbuilding.  The original TIE Bomber was actually created by ILM from the kit of Vader's TIE.  The TIE Defender never had a "real" studio model, but the basic construction can be created starting from a standard TIE cockpit ball and modified wings from a couple of TIE Interceptors.  Sites like the Replica Prop Forum and Starship Modeler can provide tons of helpful references and inspiring builds.