Something you dont want to see on your flight line!

Selwyn

Saw this on Reddit a few days ago.  The missile first flies through a fuel truck without igniting it, so even though there was the sad loss of a family in the house the missile landed in, it could have been so much worse for all if the tanker had gone up, as well as expensive as each successiver Su-25 went up in flames, while ruining the hard-standing under them.  The French Herc got a very lucky escape there too - possibly thanks to the impact with the tanker. :S

How many safety protocols weren't followed in order for that to happen?  It's not the first one, as that accidental Sidewinder release on the carrier shwoed.  Scary stuff.

.....and that's why you point armed aircraft in a safe direction which in RAF Leuchars case was at St Andrews until 43 Sqn had a Sidewinder go off the rail! It had the range to happily fly down the Old Course but decided to go for a bath in the River Eden instead.

Duncan B

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

.....and that's why you point armed aircraft in a safe direction which in RAF Leuchars case was at St Andrews until 43 Sqn had a Sidewinder go off the rail! It had the range to happily fly down the Old Course but decided to go for a bath in the River Eden instead.

Duncan B

I heard a tale that the one that went off at Leeming was running on a parallel course to the A1, have you heard of that @Retired Bob ?

26 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

I heard a tale that the one that went off at Leeming was running on a parallel course to the A1, have you heard of that @Retired Bob ?

News to me.  There were no armed aircraft slots that could really have done that, but a parallel course to the A1 could cover a multitude of areas.  But parking your fuel tanker in front of an armed aircraft......that's a big no, no.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

News to me.  There were no armed aircraft slots that could really have done that, but a parallel course to the A1 could cover a multitude of areas.  But parking your fuel tanker in front of an armed aircraft......that's a big no, no.

I heard that tale in the Green Dragon so you can draw your own conclusions. 🍺🤥😆

1 minute ago, Roger Newsome said:

I heard that tale in the Green Dragon so you can draw your own conclusions. 🍺🤥😆

Say no more, but when rumours of the Red Arrows coming to Leeming were rife, the council asked if the runway could be moved to prevent accidents on the A1 from drivers being distracted as the Reds practised.  🤣

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Whereas, last I heard, they might be going From Scampton (Alongside the A15) to Waddo. Alongside a different bit of the A15.

Hi Pete, hoping you're well.  Obviously Lincoln council know you cannot just move the runways.  Leeming would be in the options because 100 Sqn fly the same mark of Hawk. :nod:

Edited by Retired Bob
missing word
  • Like 1

Very well, thanks, Bob. Hope you're the same?

Waddington has traffic lights for use when aircraft are landing as they skim the hedge to hit the piano keys.

I live up the road from Scampton and the Reds were up again today. Good to see and hear.

Regards, Pete

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

the Reds were up again today. Good to see and hear.

All my family are fine, good job I have been practising social isolation since I retired, I just miss not going to model shows and club meetings.  100 Sqn are still doing the occasional bit of flying, I live about 3 miles from Leeming, as the Hawk flies. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Julien said:

Im told it could have been a stray voltage or RAD Hazzard that could set this off.

Most modern aircraft have their firing circuits screened to prevent the the possibility of Rad Haz, pulses from radar or radio transmissions, and if it was being refuelled the safety devices should have been installed, safety pins and safety breaks.  Without full information only guesses can be made, the disconcerting thing is that even if someone was in the cockpit and was operating switches, there should be a WOW (Weight On Wheels) switch to prevent accidental missile firings

• Like 1

If ot were a RAD hazard or radio transmission then this would be outside of the aircraft systems?

Looks to be more of an unguided rocket than a misile, im told these are more susceptible?

1 hour ago, Julien said:

If ot were a RAD hazard or radio transmission then this would be outside of the aircraft systems?

Looks to be more of an unguided rocket than a misile, im told these are more susceptible?

Says it was a rocket in the video description.

Now I know what it looks like to be on the receiving end of one of these. 😬😬😬

• Haha 1

Even when rules and procedures are followed sometimes feces occurs, a case in point back in the mid-80's at CFB Baden, stray volts check done, rockets loaded, CF-104 taxis to arming point, pilot puts his hands up, tech crawls under wing sets the LAU-5002 rocket pod  to Arm and Single. Pulls safety pin out and WHOOSH one CRV7 fires hitting the base of the blast wall that is there for just that purpose. The only causality is a bunny who had taken up residence there.  Investigation revealed that wires inside the pylon had jiggled loose sometime after the pylon had it's last annual inspection. Of course there were lots of other times a combination of technical problems and incorrect personnel errors led to other accidents.

Jari

• Like 3

On 4/22/2020 at 12:26 PM, Selwyn said:

I would classify this video as a 

video included in the general cycle:

"Where is the cambula?".

This is a popular cycle in the Russian segment.  By watching these two episodes you's will understand why without translate.

"Where is the cambula?-1":

"Where is the cambula-2?":

After this video why are you surprised that the missile  flew out of the plane?

The video on the link could be called:

"Where is the cambula-3 ? The cambula

Strikes Back".

On 4/22/2020 at 4:32 PM, Mike said:

How many safety protocols weren't followed in order for that to happen?

I think - ALL, and more than ALL!

If this is a standard Su-25, then it is most likely that the Air-to-Air* R-60MK missile was launched.

I did not find the Flight Manual of the Su-25 on the Internet, it seems that it simply does not exist on the Internet, but at least launching a missile R-60MK from an APU-60-1 pylon is not possible if a safety pin is inserted into it, which opens the electrical circuit.

In addition, on Soviet aircraft, in addition to electronic locks, there is also a lock prohibiting the use of weapons while the landing gear is in the ground position.

As the way correctly wrote:

On 4/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, Retired Bob said:

Most modern aircraft have their firing circuits screened to prevent the the possibility of Rad Haz, pulses from radar or radio transmissions, and if it was being refuelled the safety devices should have been installed, safety pins and safety breaks.  Without full information only guesses can be made, the disconcerting thing is that even if someone was in the cockpit and was operating switches, there should be a WOW (Weight On Wheels) switch to prevent accidental missile firings

Thus, in order for the launch to occur, on this Su-25 the electronic blocking system must be faulty, the system blocking landing gear is in the ground position must be faulty and in

pylon should be absent a safety pin.

Probably the launch of the rocket is possible if the missile  received damage during storage and operation and also did not pass the proper diagnostics**.

It’s also not clear to me if the missile got into the house where the general lived with his family?  But as far as I understand, it is impossible to build residential houses for security reasons next to military airfields?

I’m  absolutely not racist, but what do you want from the guys who insert the cartridge belt into the machine gun backwards and throw the cambula*** under their feet ?

🤗

B.R.

Serge

*- b.w., there is a special regime where this type air-to-air missile can be used as an unguided rocket to destroy ground targets.

**- As far as I remember, after 12 take-off and landing cycles, Soviet missiles Air-to-Air should undergo diagnostics.

***- "cambula"

it seems that in some African languages this is a hand grenade.

Imma stop you right there @Aardvark.

1) In the first video those soldiers are conducting MOUT, and I'd bet 10 to 1 that the "cambula" is supposed to be a flashbang. Yes the soldier went through the doorway immediately following the deployment of the flashbang and if it was live, he would have been incapacitated and become a liability to the others going through the fatal funnel. However it would have provided an instrumental and interesting training opportunity. On top of that, I've seen American and British soldiers make the exact same mistakes numerous times and there is probably videos on YouTube of countless other Armed Forces doing similar "goofs." Even law enforcement makes the same mistakes. But that's why it's called training.

In the second video the soldier loads the belt fed ammo backwards in what looks like an PKM. Again I've seen too many young soldiers do the exact same thing on M249s, M240s (both Bravo and Charlie), and M2 .50 caliber machine guns. It happens. Especially at night when troops are tired and on ranges. Hell I've seen it in combat too when the adrenaline is high and nerves are totally racked. There's probably more videos floating around of the same thing from other militaries.