MiG-23MS Red Eagles YF-113E

7 hours ago, Duncan B said:

I might have to have a look for the book.

It's a great read, deeply researched with interviews and footnoted.

Apparently the Flogger's motor spooled up was so loud it made the ground crewmen feel physically ill.

As TheyJammedKenny! mentioned earlier, try to get the 2012 edition, it has a red band at the top and says featuring new recently declassified material. Seems to be 70 pages more.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Just found my copy of Red Eagles, and unfortunately it's the 2008 edition...😣

That's all I had. It's a great read. I've ordered the second edition though, too tempting, I've got a couple of those YF-110s (MiG-21s) in mind to build still and hoping the extra info might add more light into a still very dark program.  Even Col. Peck whose done some online lectures recently about the program found little help from the USAF in locating the airframes so many years later.

This fellow on on another forum found what seems to be Red 44 that's featured on the cover of Col. Peck's book, full of holes. I had seen this before I found the photos of the one I ended up making thinking 44 was the only gray camo that was in the clear. Even better discovering Red 39  was that it was in full wrap around camo, which having never done a wrap around before was tougher than anticipated. 

TGfBAFY.jpgvOFKisG.jpgvSZ4yLp.jpgzSR5elU.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Very impressive weathering & painting on that, & the back story is fascinating.

I feel for you regarding that canopy, but when you look at both the overall build & your close up weathering, it's barely noticeable.

I also like the diorama you did with the hangar & the tug driver! You'd think that driver was reall!

😉

Martin

• Haha 1

Really great Flogger, and I really love the Flagon too !!

Nice collection !!

Do you know that one of the US Flogger ended up in Brussels army museum ??

I can show a pic if you're interested...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 5:58 PM, corsaircorp said:

Do you know that one of the US Flogger ended up in Brussels army museum ??

I can show a pic if you're interested...

I think I've seen photos of a MiG-23BN there, post any photos you have. 

The Davies book suggests that most of the MiGs were buried after the program was closed down. Some went to museums, some remained flying. Even Col. Peck wasn't able to get any new info on what happened to the aircraft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

I think I've seen photos of a MiG-23BN there, post any photos you have. 

The Davies book suggests that most of the MiGs were buried after the program was closed down. Some went to museums, some remained flying. Even Col. Peck wasn't able to get any new info on what happened to the aircraft.

Here it is, The MiG 23 has been tagged by some Texas ANG unit

The MiG 21 has all its instruments in US measures....:whistle:

WP_20180318_15_50_44_Pro WP_20180318_15_50_33_Pro WP_20180318_15_50_38_Pro

They said that it was a gift from a phylantrop... And it's not a relative to me :rant:

These 2 MiG would have looked good in my garden !!

Sincerely.

CC

6 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Hi CC, can't remember seeing that MiG-21 at Brussels last time I went.

Did it go to another museum do you know or did I just miss it?

Martin

Last time I get there he was behind the '23

But I must say that it was some years ago...

I was about to say 3 to 4 years but it's more 10 or 11....

Sincerely.

CC

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Last time I get there he was behind the '23

But I must say that it was some years ago...

I was about to say 3 to 4 years but it's more 10 or 11....

Sincerely.

CC

Just been looking at my photos from Brussels, it definitely wasn't there in June 2017. Still, another version of the 21 that I haven't seen in the flesh. 

• Like 1

Great photos, thanks CC. A couple more MiGs have turned up on FB. Declassification has a lot more people from the program talking about it. 

One fella even said in 1987 he flew against the MiG-23 I used as my model's subject. 

Such an incredible build.

I wanted to do the exact same aircraft, and in my mind’s eye it looked like this! The reality would be much different! Would love to know what after market bits you used, and which paints...

I have about an hour of 4477th TES video that I will be releasing later in the summer. Check out my YT channel 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKRC6h8Vk4d2a9hHDrS1hMA/

Would love to see you do one of the air-to-ground Floggers.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by 10PT
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, 10PT said:

Such an incredible build.

I wanted to do the exact same aircraft, and in my mind’s eye it looked like this! The reality would be much different! Would love to know what after market bits you used, and which paints...

I have about an hour of 4477th TES video that I will be releasing later in the summer. Check out my YT channel 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKRC6h8Vk4d2a9hHDrS1hMA/

Cheers

Steve

I will definitely be watching that. Col Gail Peck was due to come over later this month for a wedding, and was going to give us a talk at our museum. Reading his book at present.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 10PT said:

Would love to know what after market bits you used, and which paints...

Wow, where to start? Cold War Studio nose (rescribed to MS), Aires cockpit, wheel wells, intakes, engine, Master pitot, SAC gear, Armory wheels. Paints were lightened versions of the two ghost grays, Model Master enamels with AKAN Egyptian colors on top. 

Neat video you've posted of the 4477th. I would like to see more photos and videos surfacing since it's declassification.

13 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Col Gail Peck was due to come over later this month for a wedding, and was going to give us a talk at our museum. Reading his book at present.

I bet his talk is getting better each time, hope he comes back. Try to get ahold of the Steve Davies book too.

14 hours ago, 10PT said:

I a MiG-27 and a MiG-23 MLD that are ready to go and I will get to them but I've currently got Trumpeter/aftermarket fatigue so feel the need to do something that has little putty and sanding requirements.  Right now I'm making a quickie of a Constant Peg MiG-21 F-13 (Trumpeter!) to sit next to it.

• Like 1