MiG-23MS Red Eagles YF-113E

Wow!!

Fantastic model and story of course!

As you did not mount the R-23 missiles, no issue here, but the Egyptian Floggers were early and low spec  MS models, with the MiG-21s radar (shorter, smaler radom) and therefor without R-23 capability. Also no IR version of it...

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

Now that's what you call superior modeling. The weathering and paint chipping are extraordinary. Was especially impressed with the weathering and wear at the bottom of the rear fuselage, the wear in the landing gear wells and, of course, I couldn't help but notice how very well done the cockpit is. Truly amazing!

• Thanks 1

Exceptional Flogger! :clap2:  Man, everything about this model is great' the weathering and paint work is spot on and I love the close up pics!   Fantastic scale model MiG.  :worthy:    I appreciate the backstory as well. 

Oh, and I really enjoyed the pics with the, what, Su-15?    Very cool indeed!!  😎

• Thanks 1

Thank you!! I love this build and finish!! The main wheel well is excellent!  

Did you replace the nose with aftermarket from metallic details?? 

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Thanks 1

Ok, I had to do a double-take when I saw the rivet detail on the mud guards.  I honestly thought I was looking at a photo of the real aircraft.  This is a superlative model, and all I can say is "wow."

Red Eagles is an awesome book, and the 2012 edition has even more juicy details!  I was commissioned with a guy whose dad was "Bandit 3."  No wonder he was an LTGen at the time!  His son (my classmate) is now a two-star, and flew F-15Cs like his dad.  If he flew "other" aircraft, he has not advertised the fact.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also wow! That's about as realistic as models get. 

Brilliant. So many small details in the build and finish, but so sorry for you regarding the canopy incident, I can imagine the stream of expletives that followed 😩

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, exdraken said:

As you did not mount the R-23 missiles, no issue here, but the Egyptian Floggers were early and low spec  MS models, with the MiG-21s radar (shorter, smaler radom) and therefor without R-23 capability. Also no IR version of it...

You are correct about it being an MS, I used the Cold War Studio nose and rescribed it. 

In the Red Eagles book there is mention of using AIM-9 Sidewinder acquisition rounds to simulate the AA-2s. 

But there were IR versions too. I made all the missiles for an MLD that I will get to one day. 

FP1BTgm.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Did you replace the nose with aftermarket from metallic details?? 

Yes I did but I had to rescribe it for the smaller random MS version the Egyptians used as well as add the shrouded radar scope in the cockpit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Red Eagles is an awesome book, and the 2012 edition has even more juicy details!  I was commissioned with a guy whose dad was "Bandit 3."  No wonder he was an LTGen at the time!  His son (my classmate) is now a two-star, and flew F-15Cs like his dad.  If he flew "other" aircraft, he has not advertised the fact.

That's a cool story. And I just looked at my book, a 2008 edition. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be looking out for the 2012 version.

20 minutes ago, Alan P said:

so sorry for the canopy incident, I can imagine the stream of expletives that followed

Normally that would be the case but my wife and 5yr old were in the room at the time, I'm sure she was holding her breath at what was to follow yet somehow I held it together. 

I messed around with a vac canopy I have but I decided that the crack wasn't really that noticeable and in these strange days it seems foolish to waste several days on a canopy when the stash still stands high!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

Normally that would be the case but my wife and 5yr old were in the room at the time, I'm sure she was holding her breath at what was to follow yet somehow I held it together. 

I messed around with a vac canopy I have but I decided that the crack wasn't really that noticeable and in these strange days it seems foolish to waste several days on a canopy when the stash still stands high!

Great self control 😂 just had canopy woes of my own, and took a similar view! There's so much more to attract the eye on the finished model than a little canopy crack in any case 👍

• Like 1