228 OCU colours

Charliesausage

I'm sorry if this has been asked, but I couldn't find the answer.....anyone know which Humbrol enamel colour best suits the blue tails of the 228OCU tooms?

Also where should I look for 1/72 decals for said aircraft? Hannants?

Regards

Granteee

It's probably Roundel blue or Oxford blue but remember that the Toom's had gone to pale blue roundels before the blue tails came in so it was probably something they found in store. There's quite a discussion for example on the blue used for the 19 and 92 retirement aircraft, especially as the finish on the 2 were different.

You can get roundel blue in xtracolor at X30, however it looks a bit light and I used Humbrol 15 Gloss Midnight Blue which matts down to a pretty good match.

For decals - look in the xtradecal range, they fairly recently brought out some new sheets, or look for the old Modeldecal sheets. I'm not going into specific sheets because half the fun is looking yourself!

You could also look at XV498 - the 92 COs aircraft with it's blue tail - which I'm sure are on the xtradecal sheets.

• Like 2

Good morning Granteee

On his Modeldecal instruction sheets, Dick Ward lists the colour for 228 OCU's blue tails as being Roundel Blue, BSC381-110.  There isn't a direct Humbrol colour match but Gloss Midnight Blue is said to be a close match, alternatively there is Xtracolor's X030 Roundel Blue if you can lay hands on a tin.

Inadvertently spoiling your fun:

Hannants will also be a good source for the decals: either Modeldecal sheet 89 (which also includes the markings for 43 Squadron's special scheme) or 95 which contains markings for the 1988 display scheme; Xtradecal's own range of Phantom FG Mk.1 and FGR Mk.2 decals include markings for the OCU but I'm not as familiar with the contents of each sheet.   

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Charliesausage said:

In my Airfix kit, it has 92Sqn as Humbrol Matt Blue 25, is that way off for the tail of a 228OCU jet? It doesn't look quite right, but it was 30 years ago I was clambering all over them!

I've just had a look at some pictures in various books and, given printing caveats etc etc, would say that 25 looks a little light. That said you could argue scale effect would make it lighter. If you have 25, try it on a spare piece of sprue or something and see what you think. Worst case is that it'll make a decent undercoat for the Gloss Sea Blue. Dick Ward's book "Phantoms of the RAF and FAA" states that XV498 had a roundel blue tail and he was never wrong and roundel blue is a bit darker than 25.

PS - as you worked on the old beasts a) I'm sure we'll drag lots of interesting info out of you and b) did you ever come across Phil Thomas aka FluidDruid, who's a mate of mine and is on here somewhere.

Ian

I really wish I'd taken some photos back in the day. I could have had some pearlers. Live Sparrow & Winders fitting, loading of Centreline tanks (what a joy. You wouldn't believe how we fitted them 😉 ) Hand winding in thousandds of rounds into the SUU gun, fitting Mk7 ejection seats, using 'hernia bars' to fit the Sergeant Fletchers.....I could go on. All just stored now (very dusty) in the old grey matter I'm afraid.

I worked, Tomb 228OCU (Leu), GR1 IX Sqn (Bruggen), F3 56Sqn (Leu), F3 43Sqn (Leu) and GR4 14Sqn (Lossie). 228 was BY FAR the best time and the jet was a joy ot work on.....for an Armourer anyway.

I knew a 'Fluid Druid' but his name was Taff Teague. And was only on Tombs for 18 months till they disbanded. Gutted I didn't get a back seat. But did in the F3. Twice

Thanks for the advice on the Blue. I think I'll try it that way, 25 as a possible base coat and go from there.

Who do you guys, now that COVID-19 has us under lock & key, get your paints etc from?

I'm looking at anticsonline, as they seem reasonable £1.99 a 14ml pot of Humbrol enamel and only £4 delivery on multiple loads.

Not sure of delivery as this will be my first time!