MD11F Fedex - finally

As promised here is the final presentation of my MD11F. The build took me about 1 year and finally i made some photos, not the best, but maybe you enjoy some of them.

the WIP thread is here:

for those who dont want to browse all pages, here is a summary of what i did and used:

- RCI clear part / basically i tested my own product

- self printed magazines and documentation on flightdeck

- Eastern express MD11 kit

- plotted my own masks for stabilizer guards etc.

- Authentic airliner decals detailsheet

- Authentic airliner 3d decals for the radom

- Authentic airliner PE pitot tubes

- Liveries unlimited fedex decal

- Mr.Surfacer primer 1200

- Mr.Surfacer primer 500 for stiffener plates along window lines

- MRP paints all, except purple (revell aqua) and metallics (alclad), molotov chrome for shock struts

- scratched beacon lights

- scratched Nav lights

- scratched APU intake and exhaust

- drilled oil vent on engine cone

- copper wire for LG hydraulic lines

- tamiya weathering set

- tamiya panel wash

i think thats it.

IMG_0793 IMG_0792 IMG_0794 IMG_0798 IMG_0800 IMG_0801 IMG_0802 IMG_0803 IMG_0804 IMG_0805 IMG_0807 IMG_0808 IMG_0809 IMG_0810 IMG_0811 IMG_0813 IMG_0819 IMG_0820 IMG_0821 IMG_0822 IMG_0823 IMG_0824 IMG_0825 IMG_0826 IMG_0827 IMG_0828 IMG_0829 IMG_0830 IMG_0832 IMG_0833 IMG_0836

thanks for watching and happy modelling!!

• Like 50
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Amazing work on this! MD11 is one of my odd favourites, I have a desktop model of one in the fedex scheme (not diecast, plastic or resin maybe) that I got a couple years ago when I went to New York and Washington DC- also saw a couple of MD11/DC10 freighters on that trip. 

• Like 1

Awesome model! I'm currently building the Revell A380 in the proposed freighter version that was canceled in FedEx colors. I have been looking for a good match for the purple as it seems it isn't really purple. It looks like it has a blueish tint to it. I would like to build an MD11, but the Eastern Express kit kind of scares me off from building one. You have done a great job!

• Like 2

That really is an amazing piece of modelling and your WIP is a masterclass in how to get the best from a kit that is ... er..... a complete pig, to use a reasonably polite expression. The one and only time I attempted to build the EE MD11 I gave up trying to fit the wings and after a spell in the loft the model was binned so respect from me for actually getting the thing together never mind making such a wonderful model. With the detail work and weathering you have really captured the feel of a hard-working, slightly unkempt freighter having a short rest before loading up for its next flight to CGN or CDG.

:goodjob:

Dave G

• Like 1

This is one of the best civil models I've seen in a long time.

I too have built this kit and know the time, effort and skill it needs to get the result you have - stunning!

Tom

• Like 1

everyone thank you so much for your kind comments!

38 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

That really is an amazing piece of modelling and your WIP is a masterclass in how to get the best from a kit that is ... er..... a complete pig, to use a reasonably polite expression. The one and only time I attempted to build the EE MD11 I gave up trying to fit the wings and after a spell in the loft the model was binned so respect from me for actually getting the thing together never mind making such a wonderful model. With the detail work and weathering you have really captured the feel of a hard-working, slightly unkempt freighter having a short rest before loading up for its next flight to CGN or CDG.

:goodjob:

Dave G

Dave, i totally understand you, and you are right - it is a pig. Sometimes this is what makes me wanna do something great out of it, but then when you are finished it takes a long time until you want something similar again. So, i totally got your point. haha :D

i also have seen them in CGN many times, i wonder how often this one brought models to me? 🤔

Finally! A one of kind build that comes along very seldom. I think all of us that have followed the WIP have been anticipating seeing the finished model posted here, knowing that it would be a work unsurpassed. What a wonderful build. So inspiring. ALL of the detail work...including the weathering...is above and beyond...and the WIP is most definitely, as Dave so appropriately called it, a master class. Followed the WIP closely. I have to say thank you for your diligent work, persistence, and willingness to share your work with all of us. Most of what I read about the EE MD-11 kit bashes it pretty good, but then the posts I see of the finished model are quite nice, yours being the leader of the pack in what can be done with patience and imagination. Inspiring. I am moving ahead with a build of my own of this amazing kit. Hoping your cockpit caps will be available again, as I most definitely would like to have one for my own build. Thank you for sharing. And...your photography is quite good...complimenting the model quite well. Love the desert scene, too. Wow. Wow. :star::clap::worthy:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GRIM REAPER said:

Awesome model! I'm currently building the Revell A380 in the proposed freighter version that was canceled in FedEx colors. I have been looking for a good match for the purple as it seems it isn't really purple. It looks like it has a blueish tint to it. I would like to build an MD11, but the Eastern Express kit kind of scares me off from building one. You have done a great job!

Do you have a WIP on that A380F?

• Like 1

Now THAT is one astonishing build!!! 😮👏

Absolutely amazing, superb weathering for a freighter as expected, and not gone over the top either, absolutely stunning for what, as seen in the WIP, looks like a right pain of a build! 

The detail is something else and blows all my builds out the water 😆

Thank you for sharing these masterpiece! :D

James.

• Like 1

Hi Sini,

This is just totally awesome, the zenith of the model makers art!

Everything from the finish to the detail is just flawless and the weathering really demonstrates how much of a workhorse these aircraft are, just superb!

I'm a decal window modeller but that is only really because I don't have the time or patience for the kind of cockpit modelling you've achieved here. How on Earth did you manage to keep it all so dust free inside!?

Easily the best airliner model I've seen.

Cheers,

Ian

Ps I really must check these MRP paints out!

Edited by Turbofan
  • Like 1