Fujimi 1/48 T-38A -Sort of

Latest off the build machine Fujimis 1/48 T-38A or more precisely Fujimis F-5A in t-38 Clothing.. Not the most accurate out there, but I got this years ago when there wasn't anything else available. I want to do this as a simple slap and dash to prove to myself that I could still build a model and not take a year to complete.😜 Wasn't going to be anything spectacular, just straight from the box as had been created by the modelling gods. Well that didn't last long, I start to look at the cockpit anddd... there no front office. just two barcoloungers of dubious quality. SO I added a couple of Quickboost seats, made some side consoles out of plasticard and instrument panels out of some scrap resin pieces.

49803806497_d31726a63e_c.jpg

49802949548_22f9f941b6_c.jpg

49802949523_bd03797459_c.jpg

I did add some extra bits to fill out the empty spaces left over in the office.

I wanted to go with the older international orange High Vis scheme because I wanted to have this done when I finished the Great white Beast so it would have a proper chase plane but wasn't to happen.

I did use the stock decals. originally they were yellowed pretty heavily but I stuck them in a UV lamp oven to bake for an hour as an experiment to see if it was faster than taping to the window for a few weeks. gratefully it only took a hour to bleach them out enough to be usable. probably could have stood another hour but I'll remember that for the future. They did curl a bit at first but after a day flattened out. I gave them a couple of coats of lacquer just in case. There was a date stamped on the back Jan 1984! SO this model had been around for a day or two.

49803806442_4b882cae01_c.jpg

49803502321_4787d98d8a_c.jpg

49802949483_6cca1de6d2_c.jpg

The biggest blunder I had trough it all was at the very end In attaching the canopy to the fuselage the canopy cracked in a few places, not much I could do to fix. At a later date I may try to make a master of it and Vacuform a new one, we'll see.

49802949528_6587fbe9c9_c.jpg

Not much on the underneath except the glaring sight saying "This is an F-5 you FOOL!"

So there you have it, not quite a silk purse, but neither is it a sows ear.  It was an enjoyable brief interlude. I now return you back to your regularly scheduled program" Celebrity Death Match. Tonight's contestants Beyonce vs. the Olsen Twins

• Like 8

It pretty much was until I got too the cockpit. That was just one big slab of empty nothing. One of these years I'd like to try building another T-38 but in Thunderbirds livery. Probably a Wolfpack,from what I've read they're closer in accuracy as far as scale goes dimentionally than Sword or Trumpeter. I'll get a straight out of the box build done one of these days. Maybe😉

6 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Nice build 

Thank you trickydicky210

23 minutes ago, markmcguire25 said:

Nice build. Love the background story and the little date stamp in the pics. 

Thank you Mark, It had ts faults, but that was more to the technology of the time,no detail, slightly out of scale thick decals,etc. It did come out fairly decent. and was fun.