Jolly Rogers Pt 4 - Tomcat

Now, here's where I lost my head...   I meant to take photos of it primed up and ready to go, followed up with photos of it in various stages of painting,

I didn't.  :sorry:   :fraidnot:

What I did do was start off spraying things, while drinking a glass of Old Speckled Hen.  🍺    OSH can tend to make me a little creative.  Especially if I have another.  And another...   :beer:

Before I knew where I was, I had sprayed the whole thing... 

spacer.png

a quick rundown of the paints used.

36375 Light Ghost Grey undersurfaces.  Vallejo 70,615 was the intention.  In the event, I used Lifecolor UA-026, which is an exact match but easier for me to get my hands on for future use.

36320 Dark Ghost Grey nose cone.   Vallejo 71.120

35237  Medium Grey  uppersurfaces   Vallejo 71.114 was the intention.  I used Xtracrylix XA1126 which again is an exact match but easier for me to acquire.

The uppersurface mottling was a thin overspray of Tamiya XF-053 through some Uschi masks

spacer.png

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

:hmmm:  Huge disappointemnt with this one.  :sad:   I was thoroughly enjoying the build until I came to apply the decals.  Sadly, the decals are the wrong colour.  They should be FS16081 Engine Gray.  Instead they are 35237, the same colour as the uppersurfaces.   If I had followed the decal instructions and painted an inaccurate scheme, everything would have been okay.  As it is, they simply blend in.  :fraidnot:

So I'm withdrawing this one from the GB as it won't get finshed in the time constraints.  I'll have a think about what to do and come up with a plan.  I do want to finish it as it's part of my Jolly Rogers theme for this year.

I'll post some photos in the next few days to show you what I mean. 

• Sad 6

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Are there any aftermarket decal sheets that will cover your needs? Perhaps @Tony Oliver can advise?

This one actually is an aftermarket sheet.

I'm currently investigating using markings from general sheets.  It seems feasible. 

12 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Sorry to hear you’ve hit trouble.

I hit trouble in every build.  Usually of my own making!  :lol:

It will definitely be finished, even if it means respraying the whole thing.   I'd prefer not to 'cos I like how it looks, but we'll see. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2020 at 18:12, Enzo Matrix said:

Sadly, the decals are the wrong colour.  They should be FS16081 Engine Gray.  Instead they are 35237, the same colour as the uppersurfaces

Damn that’s a shame.  Even the sqn/tail markings?

Very frustrating how they can get it wrong. They use the same pictures we look at presumably and it’s their job, someone is selling these to make a living? Or perhaps they just don’t care and 75% effort is good enough for them. 

Similar has Happened to me before aswell with tps schemes. Mainly with stencils/data etc that are either too light or too dark and can throw the whole look off. 

However on a current build also have tail markings that should be dark gunship/ engine grey like 36081/36076 or possibly just faded black, but repliscale printed them in 36118 gunship grey. I feel your pain 😢

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Damn that’s a shame.  Even the sqn/tail markings?

Even the tail markings.  But oddly enough, that wouldn't matter too much as they are on a lighter background and would show up well.

I will post some photos.  Promise...  :fool: