Your Impressions/experiences building a Trumpeter 1/48 Westland Wirlwind

Tokyo Raider

Greetings Brits-

I am trying to decide what to build next after the Beaufighter I am doing now...  I have a Trumpeter Westland Wirlwind and was thinking about that...  Have any of you have opinions or experiences about the Trumpeter 1/48 kit?  I am looking for a fun experience, I hear its a fast build.  I am worried about the quality of the kit decals...  Anyone build this yet and use the kit decals?

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Hi

Not the best effort by trumpeter,

the instrument decal will make you laugh,( more suitable for a jet a/c ) 

as will the colour of the squadron code letter decals

overall trumpeter missed the chance of a decent kit

mine are relegated to future what if whirlwinds

( lanc engines on one & floats on the other )

but i understand if someone is not really interested in accuracy it is an ok kit  

cheers

jerry

Hi Tokyo,

As @Alan P kindly pointed out, I'm right in the middle of my Whirlwind build. You're more than welcome to check out my WIP, but here's a brief summary of my findings to date:

a. Cockpit floor is about 1/8" too low - I've chosen to scratch the cockpit as a result

b. Pilot's seat is too wide

c. Instrument panel shape is compromised due to (a) - IP decal as mentioned could be be a microwave control panel, but it certainly has no place in an aircraft!

d. Gunsight is missing, as is the rollover brace on the rear cockpit deck

e. No option to build open cockpit without messing with rear cockpit deck

f. Wheels are wrong - Barracuda do an excellent resin set

g. 20mm Cannon are rubbish

h. Wingtip position lights are solidly moulded, as is the fin receptor for the antenna wire

i. Wing root is inaccurate - apparently easily corrected (I'll let you know when I get there)

j. Decals are not good - colours too bright and squadron codes are white not light grey/sky. I've sourced a Montex mask set designed for this kit

k. On the VE*F scheme I am building, the colour callouts miss the yellow leading edge strip

For all these issues I'm enjoying building the kit - it's only my second go at scratch-building and I'm pretty satisfied with the results to date. I've had a load of help from others on the site, and more than happy to share references I've gathered if they will help. I really enjoyed your lovely Night Intruder Hurricane, so the best of luck with this one!

All the best,

Roger

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Hi Tokyo,

As @Alan P kindly pointed out, I'm right in the middle of my Whirlwind build. You're more than welcome to check out my WIP, but here's a brief summary of my findings to date:

a. Cockpit floor is about 1/8" too low - I've chosen to scratch the cockpit as a result

b. Pilot's seat is too wide

c. Instrument panel shape is compromised due to (a) - IP decal as mentioned could be be a microwave control panel, but it certainly has no place in an aircraft!

d. Gunsight is missing, as is the rollover brace on the rear cockpit deck

e. No option to build open cockpit without messing with rear cockpit deck

f. Wheels are wrong - Barracuda do an excellent resin set

g. 20mm Cannon are rubbish

h. Wingtip position lights are solidly moulded, as is the fin receptor for the antenna wire

i. Wing root is inaccurate - apparently easily corrected (I'll let you know when I get there)

j. Decals are not good - colours too bright and squadron codes are white not light grey/sky. I've sourced a Montex mask set designed for this kit

k. On the VE*F scheme I am building, the colour callouts miss the yellow leading edge strip

For all these issues I'm enjoying building the kit - it's only my second go at scratch-building and I'm pretty satisfied with the results to date. I've had a load of help from others on the site, and more than happy to share references I've gathered if they will help. I really enjoyed your lovely Night Intruder Hurricane, so the best of luck with this one!

All the best,

Roger

Thanks for the help...  This is great to see and be able to follow along...  I have no problem fixing a few things but these kits should be 'accurate' not fantasy...  I dont have alot of references so I will check out what you post...  Thanks!

• Like 1