Converting Airfix 1/48 Merlin HC3 to the French Navy NH90

MarcV

1 hour ago, MarcV said:

Thanks both,

I thought they has a lot of shared development and both started out on the basis of the AW-101 design.

Regards,

No, the EHI 01 was an entirely separate project by a different outfit. The NH90 arrived somewhat later. Another similarity is that both types had major teething troubles, but not sure how much use that is from a modelling perspective! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

You can convert  a French Super Puma into a free spinning rotor a lot easier.

Please tell me how to in 1/48 though!!

:devil:

2 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Just seize the transmission in flight

Yeah but.... I am missing a suitible kit to start with in 48.... :devil: 

There simply is non.... but maybe a Blackhawk or Chinook is close enough anyways for the effect ;)

Edited by exdraken

On 4/21/2020 at 5:33 PM, MarcV said:

Thanks both,

I thought they has a lot of shared development and both started out on the basis of the AW-101 design.

Regards,

You could perhaps take 1/72 examples of both the Merlin and the NH90 and figure out a way to adapt the parts of the former into those of the latter and then upscale to 1/48 but I suspect that this would reveal that other than a very general similarity when seen in the dark on a moonless night while wearing sunglasses that the task would be enormous and would end up as a scratchbuild only using some minor detail parts of the Merlin.

Edited by Des
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It is do-able, but in 1/72nd scale only. The process in 72nd is fairly simple, I'm pleased to report.

First, buy the Revell or Italeri 1/72 Merlin HC3. Next, to realise the conversion, you'll require a donor kit. By far the best donor kit is the Revell 1/72 NH-90 NFH90 "Navy". Third, having obtained the donor kit, look carefully at the parts of said donor kit. Fourth think 'Oh. Yes. Fifth. Build the donor kit.

This is by far the most straightforward means of converting a Merlin HC3 kit into an NH90.

In 1/48th, you're not so much converting the Airfix kit as scratchbuilding...

• Haha 4

On 5/8/2020 at 3:41 PM, XV107 said:

It is do-able, but in 1/72nd scale only. The process in 72nd is fairly simple, I'm pleased to report.

First, buy the Revell or Italeri 1/72 Merlin HC3. Next, to realise the conversion, you'll require a donor kit. By far the best donor kit is the Revell 1/72 NH-90 NFH90 "Navy". Third, having obtained the donor kit, look carefully at the parts of said donor kit. Fourth think 'Oh. Yes. Fifth. Build the donor kit.

This is by far the most straightforward means of converting a Merlin HC3 kit into an NH90.

In 1/48th, you're not so much converting the Airfix kit as scratchbuilding...

I just spit my coffee on the floor!🤣🤣😂

Edited by Robertone139
  • Sad 1