RAF Rescue part two

I thought I'd do at least one more yellow chopper for the time being, to display with the Wessex. The Whirlwind looks a bit simpler to build, though will probably end up needing lots of scratch building and mods to make it represent an RAF one. 

If I remember correctly I think I bought this kit from a stand at the Shuttleworth airshow in 2018. 

spacer.png

It looks basic! 

spacer.png

This is what I'm attempting to create. Any Whirlwind experts out there who can give some advice? It doesn't look too different to me. The door is moulded shut so no scratchbuilt cabin interior this time. I'll use some of the left over Wessex decals for the 'Rescue' titles, etc.

spacer.png

Not my photo, I'm not that old! Mods remove it if it breaks copyright, it was just a random Google image search, no credits.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 2

The Airfix kit is undersize, certainly in the rotor diameter.  It is a very early aircraft, basically a standard S-55 with the straight boom rather than the one kinked slightly down.  The belly is lacking.  The Rescue helicopters I recall were based n the later HAS variants: the one in the photo I'm less sure about.  Whirlybird do a range of Whirlwind variant conversion kits, so it might be worth looking at what they might offer.

• Thanks 1

Started with the seats, very basic kit ones but given that it's from 1958 I'm not surprised! It's hard to find any decent photos of the inside of these early Whirlwinds, so I've just guessed as to the seat colours. If anyone knows different let me know before I seal them inside!

spacer.png

Next up, I cut the side windows so I can have the two main ones open.

spacer.png

One of the joysticks was missing and there are no collective levers in the kit so I made my own, again from cut up rockets.

spacer.png

Although I scored around the edges of the cabin door to give it some definition, it will remain closed, so almost no detail inside this time as you really cannot see a thing in there.

spacer.png

Just a dry fit, and to show how blurry those cabin windows are!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Like it!

The Airfix kit has a straight ( ie ‘undrooped’) tail boom, as Graham has pointed out, which is appropriate for the early RAF HAR.2 variant like XJ728 in the colour photo in the first post. RAFDec RF7211 decal sheet has very nice decals for 17 RAF Whirlwinds, including 5 yellow HAR.2s, and is currently available from the usual online sources. I bought mine some time ago with the intention of building a collection of Whirlwinds using Italeri H-19 kits, which then promptly disappeared from the the shelves and haven’t returned! I live in hope...

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally some time to do a bit on the Whirlwind. I cut up part of a Lynx instrument panel decal for the cockpit, and made some collective levers from old Hunter rockets. Seats fitted and masking tape straps added. It's probably not accurate really but I couldn't find any photos so just made it look less empty. I'm calling the cockpit done.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Trying to squeeze that big round nose to minimise the join line.

spacer.png

I cut some masks from Tamiya tape, looks like they performed well on the cabin windows. Just need to touch up the struts between the cockpit windows now. Humbrol 69 should do it.

spacer.png

• Like 1

The yellow part of the stripe decal proved useful for covering up the gap from the ill-fitting canopy.  I also found out that it looks like these early RAF Whirlwinds had windows in the roof too. There's no way I could cut them out now so I've had to settle for decals and pretend they were tinted! I'll round off the corners with paint later.

spacer.png

Doesn't look too bad from a couple of feet away.

spacer.png

Does anyone know if these ancient Whirlwinds had one yellow rotor top like the Wessex?

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

Wow!  This is an impressive test of your perseverance, and with good results.  Yes, the white undercoat is "not just a good idea" when applying a yellow or red finish.  And the clear parts!  You're a saint.  The rear upper cockpit windows were probably slightly opaque in service anyway...

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Does anyone know if these ancient Whirlwinds had one yellow rotor top like the Wessex?

I never saw any Whirlwinds with the yellow rotor blades LR

Looking very good now,  nice job

• Thanks 1

More Whirlwind progress, I made a tiny aerial from wire under the fuselage and painted and fitted the tail rotor.

spacer.png

Amazing to think this plastic is over 60 years old! I'd love for Airfix to do a new tool Whirlwind HAR10 in 1/72 and/or 1/48. They could offer markings for a yellow one and a camo one from the Malaysian Campaign, a couple of nice options there! Strange they never released a Wessex either.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

These were based down the road at MAEE. Defo no yellow rotor blade. The roof windows are 'D' shaped with the straight edge parallel to the sides IIRC. The forward window was slightly larger than the rear. The outlines would have been moulded on.

Nice clean up job. My first one of these was in BEA colours, and there was no glazing back then. Just holes. My first helicopter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting that the rotors are medium sea grey on top and black underneath, so a quick repaint was in order.

J12rrX.jpg

Too many choices!

J12g1t.jpg

• Like 2