Revell 1/72 red arrows kit

nicesub

Hi,

I am old/new modeller and I got myself from Revell 1/72 Red Arrows kit, level 3.

Before I start any work I am studying the instructions and checking if I miss anything. So by checking the instructions I found some illogical steps in terms of painting. 

So the model parts are already in red colour and when I go through instructions I am not instructed to paint entire plane again in red. However, they do tell to pain some small bits in red (which are already in red) which makes no sense. The kit is red and why I am being told to paint some small parts in red if surrounding parts are already red? or maybe it is understood and expected that I paint everything?

See below step pictures from instructions:

Step 1 - also it looks like if I need to paint this part from the inside side, the side not facing out?

Step 2

I am just trying to understand here what are the instructions telling me and what I am doing.

Also another question is about colours. The kit came in with 3 colours and I need to buy the rest that are required. They gave me 3 aqua colours. Shall I stick with those or get equal enamel?

Also I struggle to find these colours from Revell or to convert them to other equivalent, I would appreciate if you could help me how to find them or find same but from other manufacturer. I managed to find them on eBay but it would cost close to 20 pounds to get them here for two colours.

Anthracite matt #09

Iron metallic #91

Thnx for the help.

Welcome.

A few general points to your questions but I'm afraid a) I haven't built that particular kit and b) your step 1 and step 2 links appear not show anything.

As for overall painting, once you have built the kit you will have joins/seams which will still be visible so really you will want to paint the model the overall red. You will want to paint the cockpit - because that certainly isn't red. I think it would be a medium/dark grey and you would paint that before joining the fuselage parts. You may want to paint the instrument panel black and pick out some instruments in white (I use a cocktail stick). Check the internet for pictures of the cockpit and ejector seat and decide how much detail you want to add.

In regard to paint types. Basically 2 types, acrylic (aqua) and enamel. The former dries quicker and can be washed out of the brush with hot water and soap, the latter needs white spirit. Personally I have never got on with Revell paints and red is a funny colour anyway. You may want to explore Hannants for Xtracolor/Extracrylic paints or the Airfix site for Humbrol paint. I think they both do a specific Red Arrows red. 

Exhaust/jet pipe colours - I tend to start with a bit of silver and add black to suit - usually on an old plastic tray.

At some point you may want to go down the airbrush route which may, eventually, give you a better finish. Personally, I stick to brushes even after 55 years of modelling. Lots of us use spray cans - Halfords is good for grey and white primer and some of their stuff is a very close match for a/c colours if you're not too pedantic.

Good luck, enjoy it, learn from your mistakes (we all make them) and always ask on here because the level of knowledge and advice is outstanding.

PS I'm assuming its a Hawk not ta Gnat

This kit?: https://downloads.revell.de/Manuals-Modelkits/64921_%23BAU_BAEHAWK_T.1RED_ARROWS.PDF

Look at step 36, It tells you to Paint the plane red.  I have no experience with Revell colours so I can't say anything about them. I see that you are located in London? It has been a very long time since my last visit so things has probably changed. At the time Hamley's still sold some models so they might have paints or visit the RAF museum  and look in to the Hannant's shop close by but check it they are open first.