Fairey Barracuda

diamant

Hello,

Some of you may know me (Santiago Hrubisko) or my father (Raul Hrubisko). We build models in series trying to represent the aircraft selected in as many as possible version during WWII (scheme colour camuflage, trials, amo, markings, etc).

In this case I have started to look for information about the Fairey Barracauda. Although we have some books an articles there are some issue that I cannot resolve. I wonder if some of you could help us or point me out how to follows.

This is the list of aircrafts selected that we have good information (at least one photo).

1Fairey Barracuda Mk I - P1767 (prototype with lower elevator)

2Fairey Barracuda Mk I - P1767 (prototype with upper elevator)

3Fairey Barracuda Mk I - P1767 with fixed main undercarrier

4Fairey Barracuda Mk I - RK328 with deep charges

5Fairey Barracuda Mk I - RK328 with four SCI

6Fairey Barracuda Mk II - P9647 used to test Merlin 32 engine fitted with a container as ballast

7Fairey Barracuda Mk II - LS789  July 1944 fitted with a torpedo and radar.

8Fairey Barracuda Mk II - P9726 M used to test low level recovery

9Fairey Barracuda Mk II - unknow serial number used to test air radar container instalation.

10Fairey Barracuda Mk II PM939 374/A 812 Sdn HMS Vengeance August 1945

11Fairey Barracuda Mk II P9597/G A&AEE June 1944 with CUBA canister

12Fairey Barracuda Mk II PM954 R1C 814 Sdn Ceylon Ashore RNS Katukurunda 1945

13Fairey Barracuda Mk II MX613 A&AEE January 1945 with a boat

14Fairey Barracuda Mk TR III DP855/G Defford Feb 1944 For ASV MK II band evaluation with rear fuselage mounted scanner and radome

15Fairey Barracuda Mk V P9976 May 1944 (third prototype)

16Fairey Barracuda Mk V PM940 Oct 1945 Fith prototype

And these are the ones we would like to add but we do not have enough information

17Fairey Barracuda Mk II known serial number - D Day invasion strippes. (We only have one photo but don´t know the serial number)

18Fairey Barracuda Mk II BC760 P 1700 RNAS Katukurunda Ceylon Nov 1945 small SEAC roundels. (We only have a profile but any photo)

19Fairey Barracuda Mk fitted with RATOG. We only have one photo but it is not possible to iddentify the serial number

20Fairey Barracuda Mk with SEAC roundels (Big blue ones with small clear in the center). We only have one photo but it is not possible to iddentify the serial number

21Fairey Barracuda Mk with shark mouth. We only have one photo but it is not possible to iddentify the serial number

22Fairey Barracuda Mk with up level scheme colour camouflage pattern 

Regarding the latest one, there is ony a profile in the Warpaint book about it but I was not able to find any photo.

414416005.jpg

Does any of you have more information on the above mentioned scheme?

Also, any comments or suggestion about adding more Barracudas to the list will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Santiago

Edited by diamant
I found one typing mistake
  • Like 2

Santiago,

You shouldn't be surprised to learn that I have some photo-copied reports on the CUDA float trials. They are of no use as regards colour schemes but they do give some idea of the size and shape of the Cuda Floats which should help Raul.

Incidentally the reports give the aircraft serial at P9795/G whereas your list shows P9597/G.

Alastair 

Hi Alastair,

Woow. That sounds really good. I am eager to see those reports . :-)))

You are right. I was my mistake on the serial number!!.

Cheers

Santiago

This is a post just to bring this topic forward as the forum seems to be very busy these Covid lock-in days.

Is there anyone else who can help Santiago and his father? My only interest in the Barracuda was the CUDA Floats and I've already supplied Santiago with the information (original source documents) I have on those.

Hello,

I have found that this photo was already posted in this forum two times. 

but I found a bigger version of this photo 

414419883.jpg

(Library and Archives Canada Photo, MIKAN No. 4950856)

A number of Canadian pilots flew with the Fleet Air Arm, most notably Lt (N) Robert Hampton Gray, VC, DSO. I found this shot in the Archives of a line-up of Fleet Air Arm aircraft at RNAS Mill Meece, HMS Fledgling ca 1943/44.  The facility was used to train WRNS Air Mechanics (Ordnance) on FAA aircraft. The aircraft in this photo include a Supermarine Seafire Mk. I, a Chance Vought Corsair, a Grumman Martlet, two Fairey Barracudas, and possibly a Hawker Sea Hurricane or Fairey Fulmar.

Reference; http://silverhawkauthor.com/canadian-warplanes-3-the-second-world-war-fighters-bombers-and-patrol-aircraft_310.html

I wonder if it is possible to guess the serial number with this information. It is my first time that I see the white serial number in a Barracuda.

The quality of the photo is not enught to see the serial number even using photoshop. Could be BV.....

Any ideas?

Cheers

Santiago

With regards to your photo of the Barracuda with invasion stripes; is it the one with the aircraft flying to the left in the photo and has nose art? Also no serial number visible.

In the link I've posted, there is a photo of one with it's wing folded atop some kind of tugboat.  Appears to have a plug right in the center of it's fuselage roundel.  Anyhow, there is a serial mostly visible:

image-asset.jpeg?format=1000w

regards,

Jack