Airfix SH-3D Sea King

With my preferred options out of reach I realised I had the Airfix SH-3D Sea King in the stash which I built in the late 70s along with the Airfix Lunar module (another kit have in the stash).

So this will be my build.

49800136646_ef2a82c9ca_b.jpg

The decals are a tad yellowed, so I will replace them with aftermarket decals

49800445872_1ffb9a980d_b.jpg

And I have  stand that I might use :D

• Like 13

Yes the box art is awesome! I had and have this kit but its a pre-started charity shop buy and well, at £2 not going to complain but represents a lot of work to knock it into shape and besides I have the Dragon/cyber-hobby SH-3D kit for a long planned Apollo recovery vignette, so I'll follow along with this one. Good luck.

• Like 2

Great choice Ray this would have been a dead cert for me for this GB sadly I realised my kit has the two forward windows missing,had it been the

doors I could have improvised but they're shaped as you will know so I'll watch your build come together instead.

• Like 1

Well, what a welcome!

To answer a few of your questions...

@modelling minion I will be using decals from, funnily enough, 'Old 66 Decals'. the sheet has options for Old 66 from 4 recovery missions.

@Hewy I will see how time goes about the Lunar module, but I have builds going left right and centre at the moment.

@Jinxman On the original build I did add the tread, so it could be a goer, after all the kit comes with that classic stand!

I am looking forward to a straight forward build in the spirit of the GB, OOB!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Another classic Ray. The plastic looks much nicer in white (rather than the bright yellow versions)!

Cheers

Yes, just as I remember it. I am sure I won't be finishing it in 2 days like I did the last time!

• Haha 1

Great stuff Ray, an absolute classic and popcorn at the ready!

When you're assembling the front end, just double-check the main glazing fit - I think if you glue the nose-halves together as indicated, you end up with an overhang on the canopy edges. Adding a spacer/shim between the nose halves helps with that.

Looking forward to it!
Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Welcome Ray and good luck with the exciting build. I really love the Sea King.

I wonder if anyone keeps these beautiful old boxes after the kit is built?

In my younger days I had a scrap book full of box tops of the kits I built. Long gone now unfortunately! 😞

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

Welcome Ray and good luck with the exciting build. I really love the Sea King.

I wonder if anyone keeps these beautiful old boxes after the kit is built?

Oh yes. My built models usually get displayed with them, alongside paints and glues and whatnot.

Blowing my own trumpet here a bit, but there's an old thread of mine that goes into my slightly odd method of collecting and building here...

Sorry for the thread hijack. The Seaking has been on my 'To Do' list for ages, I'm really looking forward to seing this one come together.

Tony.

• Like 1

Loved it! I think my astronaut may have got himself attached to the sonar dipper so he could be wound up and down. I don't think I appreciated that wasn't actually how they were winched up...

I also remember putting the torpedo crutches on upside down so that the torpedoes would sit in them without glue. 

Multi-mission helicopter or what? 😀

John 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

I finally got some time to start and did not take many initial build shots. The painting instructions for the interior were non existent, so I found another later release Sea King kit and got the colours from them.  The aircrew are in paint and will be added before the glazing goes on.

49955261701_df8724e686_b.jpg

On the stand

49955261666_18633b1be3_b.jpg

49955261581_63e7f088ed_b.jpg

49954758423_6f17bc59d0_b.jpg

With a couple of related (and unfinished builds)

49954758643_c7540cecc3_b.jpg

49955544317_46a5e557b2_b.jpg

• Like 9

Nice kit Ray,

I got a vac form radome and Modeldecals decs and built my first as an RN version in Blue. Later I built the yellow Rescue one as the Brawdy based ones used to fly over my house quite regularly - noisy beasts, but I miss them now they have all gone.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I had updated since the last instalment.

I have been priming and have white base coat down and well as the start of the rotor paintwork

50031913323_5b4a495ba3_b.jpg

I also modified the tail wheel to extend to oleo for an in flight pose, pictured next to an unmodified part

50032451786_3c74309bf4_b.jpg

• Like 7