Spanish "Blue Squadron" Fw-190A queries

Fernando

Hello, gentlemen,

I am looking for information about the camouflage and variants of Focke Wulf Fw-190As used by the Spanish Blue Squadron. I understand both A-3s and A-4s were used, probably sequentially. There are a couple of pictures in "Jagdwaffe Vol. 4 Section 3" (what a complicated nomenclature for a rather simple thing) showing a dark camouflaged A-3 (but the caption says "standard 74/75/76 camouflage) and some pictures in the internet showing A-4s in standard camouflage. At the same time, there is a small Kora decal sheet showing A-3s in typical "Dark Green" JG.51 camouflage (the parent unit to BS)

Does any of the esteemed members have anything else?

Thank you very much, stay in stay safe.

Fernando (in and hopefully safe at Buenos Aires.

Hi

these links might be of interest 

cheers

jerry

https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/297798-Escudrilla-Azul-Forums

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/spaniards-in-russia-the-blue-squadron.29703/

hevia-segunda-guerra-mundial-kAE--1024x5

Edited by brewerjerry

The Fw 190As that the Spanish pilots of the 15.(span.)/JG 51 used were, indeed, A-3 and A-4s, during the summer and autumn of 1943; the last contingent of Spanish pilots to serve on the Ostfront.  One of the links (above) states they were using A-8 & G models, but this is incorrect.

The photo that Mr. Brewer posted shows the "weiße 5" of their top-scoring pilot, Gonzalo Hevia Alvarez Quiñones, who claimed twelve.  The low-contrast of this print doesn't show that the yellow  beneath the wingtips extended all the way to the outside edge of the cross (typical for the JG 51).  Very few of the airframes have been specifically-linked with particular pilots, but Damaso Arango used "weiße 20" and Fernando Sanchez Arjona (9 claims) used "weiße 21".  This last one had the front of the cowl (not just the armored ring) and spinner painted yellow (and the usual yellow under the cowling, under wing tips, and rear-position Rumpfband as well).  The numerals were unoutlined.  Sanchez Arjona was killed 19.Nov. 1943 in a transfer-flight crash due to icing.

As you have surmised, the camouflage finish was uniform on these, two dark greens, although one photo, of "weiße 15" being lifted back onto its legs following a belly-landing, shows more contrast between the colors.  The rear location of the thin Rumpfband was consistent (and the norm for the JG 51).

I do not have a photo-hosting service, so cannot insert images here, but if you wish to send me a PM with your email, I'd be happy to forward some.

Enjoy your build, GRM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1