Mosquito Engine Instruments

11bravo

Hi folks,

I'm building the Tamiya FB.VI and am starting on the instrument panel.   One thing I noted is that some references show the engine gauges to be outlined in either red, blue or yellow.  However, most restorations I've seen (I know that the accuracy of these can vary), have the gauges in basic black.   From the decent B&W pics I've found of WW2 Mossies, it also appears that the gauges are black.

Any info would be much appreciated.  

Here's a restored IP with the colored gauges. 

4051547974_99035e4c86_z.jpg

Firstly, that's not an FB.VI - it's a bomber as evidenced by the access to the nose, the control yoke and the pitched windscreen :)

You did raise a curiosity in me though. This period photo of a nightfighter variant shows them in colours

c7d75e63bd460f7f98fa430b6070e86c.jpg

• Like 1

Colour coding of engine gauges appears common on British aircraft of the period, but doesn't appear to have been mandatory, as you've noted, some aircraft have plain black gauges.

Red boost gauges appear most common, followed by yellow or orangey/brown oil gauges, least common appear to be blue coolant gauges.

14 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Firstly, that's not an FB.VI - it's a bomber as evidenced by the access to the nose, the control yoke and the pitched windscreen :)

You did raise a curiosity in me though. This period photo of a nightfighter variant shows them in colours

c7d75e63bd460f7f98fa430b6070e86c.jpg

Thanks Jamie & Dave, I appreciate it.  I was aware that my pic above wasn't from an FB.VI but it was the only thing I had handy to illustrate those colored instruments! 

Regards,

John

• Like 1