Hitler´s personal aircraft after taking power (election campaing)

AlCZ

In many non fiction movies is saying a Hitler was first politican whey used airplane in their election campaign (in prezidental election and later in election to Bundestag). But on movies are Hitler´s famous Ju-52 Immelman II D-2600 f.e. (III. reich flag with swastika and Lufthansa Marking) but i presumed it is after taking power, when was Hitler a Reichskanzler and Führer. But - what looks their aircraft in election campaing ? And Hitler was rich man, because Mein Kampf was bestseller in times after taking power, but Ju-52 was in this time a state of art aircraft, and i think is very expensive... (Yes, i know a Nazis have many rich sponsors). But used Hitler in election campaign really a "Tante Ju"  or small "bussines plane" ? (In germany exist many light bussines types as  He-70, Junkers F-13 or  G-23... and what marking have ? I don´t think a after taking power, in Weimar republic times (after was Feldmarschall von Hindenburg election a president) have Lufthansa Aircraft on tail nazis flag with swastika... So, what aircraft Hitler really used in election campaign ? I think he have small Junkers F-13 (this is a bussiness jet/private airplane) and not "Tante Ju" - this is as today private person used a Boeing 737 or Airbus 319.... and not Learjet... And i know, few very rich peoples or rock bands used a their personal Jumbo jet too.... (Iron Maiden), but this isn´t  a standard personal aircraft. And when Hitler flies on small towns but with power electoriat really he use a big Tante Ju ? I think he have a F.13... or G.23. It is true ? 

Not clear answer, but gives some direction.  Ju-52 D-2600 was purchased when Hitler was chancellor. So that plane definitely was not used. But Hitlers personal pilot Hans Bauer was serving already in 1932. So something was definitely used regularly.

12 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

Would chartering of aircraft have been a thing then? It might have been whatever was available rather than one particular aircraft.

Duncan B

That's exactly what is described in Sweeting's biography of Hans Baur, Hitler's pilot. A Rohrbach Ro VIII Roland II, Wk Nr 46 Registartion D-1720 named Niederwald was used during the 1932 election campaign. Baur made the arrangements for the aircraft, (it's not clear in the book where the airframe came from, or who owned it) with flights starting on March 3 1932. Later in the campaign, Ju 52/3m D-2022 was leased to the NSDAP for flights to Italy. Hitler eventually lost this campaign to Paul Hindenberg. 

Source: Sweeting C.G. (2001) 'Hitler's Squadron - The Fuehrer's Personal Aircraft and Transport Unit 1933-45' Brasseys Inc, Washington DC. 

Edited by SafetyDad
Correct source details
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Despite a pretty serious search this morning I have failed to find something (Google ain’t  what it used to be), I am sure I have seen early film of Hitler using a Junkers W34. It was one of those cases where you see it from the corner of your eye whilst watching yet another ‘Yesterday‘ channel ‘Hitlermentory‘ but, like seeing a Spitfire, you know what it IS rather than what it might be. 

Someone mentioned we’re aeroplanes rentable/leasable at that time. Commerce is commerce and if there is a way of making money someone will be in there like a flash. As soon as aeroplanes we’re reliable enough to get from A to B without more than a 50% chance of crashing They will be either offering rides and if you can do that without having to supply the people a pilot AND an aeroplane the margins may look even lovelier! Remember the first commercial London to Paris was as early as 25 August 1919. You can add another ten years of progress to that before Hitler starts campaigning.

Hallo

Actually, I quote from a source: The diary of Goebbels.

The aircraft used for all flights were usually scheduled flights from Lufthansa in the pre chancellor time.

There exist color private films for the southern journey of Eva Braun etc. with a Condor.

Happy modelling

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/04/2020 at 09:18, SafetyDad said:

That's exactly what is described in Sweeting's biography of Hans Baur, Hitler's pilot. A Rohrbach Ro VIII Roland II, Wk Nr 46 Registartion D-1720 named Niederwald was used during the 1932 election campaign. Baur made the arrangements for the aircraft, (it's not clear in the book where the airframe came from, or who owned it) with flights starting on March 3 1932. ++

There is gossip/allegations the "Lufthansa" of those days did supply aircraft to "his" campaign(s),

and googleing "Rohrbach Ro VIII Roland II, Wk Nr 46 Registartion D-1720", I find http://www.histaviation.com/Rohrbach_Ro_VIII.html

"Roland II46D-1720, D-AHOL"Niederwald".  Used by the DLH until 1935, then given to RLM"

(DLH like Deutsche Luft Hansa https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Luft_Hansa )

• Thanks 1