ESCI 1/48 F-8E Crusader

Hi guys,

I will build the 1/48 ESCI F-8E. As I collect from memory it was my first build. I got the model then from my dad then when I was boredat his work and it would take hours before we could get home.

I found this model earlier this year at a model meeting. It was out of nostalgia that I bought it and now I can use it.

I will build it with the wheels up on a standard. It will have a aerobonus seated pilot in it and some better armament.

O, and also some better decals. The rest will be done straight out of the box.

I will place some pictures soon.

Cheers,

• Like 11

On 20 april 2020 at 10:36 PM, modelling minion said:

A great choice Arnie, the Crusader is a fantastic aircraft.

Which markings will you be building it in?

I will build it as a Marines Crusader. It will be from VMF 333.

This scheme comes from a Aeromaster set of colorful crusaders pt. VI.

I have also robed a Hasegawa crusader from it's wing pylons and his zuni rockets. I will also get the Y pilons from that same set, as I won't be needing them in the Hasegawa kit. O, and for under the wing pylons I will use two mk. 84 bombs out of a armament set from Hasegawa as well.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Here are some pictures of the box plus content. 

The kit is quite basic, but closed up and with a pilot in the cockpit it will be fine .

The box art that is still quite interesting to me.

IMG_4964

The content in the box with a lot of silver coloured plastic.

IMG_4962

And some of the extra's

IMG_4963

I have already  two not used wing pilons from a Hasegawa kit and two 2000 pound mk.84 bombs for it as they used these to bomb bridges.

And also some zuni packs from a Hasegawa kit. 

Hopefully I can make a start tomorrow.

Cheers,

• Like 7

Hi guys, here is a update after starting the Build. I first rescribed the whole model. I took the hasegawa kit as a partial template. Not all the panellines are in the right place, but it looks a lot better. when this was done I placed the intake part and the empty cockpit tub in one half of the fuselage and closed it up. Before I did that I gleued on the underside a small stroke of plastic card to get a better fit there.

IMG_4972

As you can see I used a few clamps to get everything together, till all the glue had set.

I was looking at the Aerobonus pilot in his seat and I noticed for a inflight model I couldn't use him. He was missing a oxigenmask. So I took the liberty to free the pilot and seat out of the Hasegawa box.

IMG_4973

And luckily they fit right into the Esci model. I have also changed the instrument panel to the Hasegawa one and modified the esci part for it.

IMG_4976

I will use the decals for the side panels in the cockpit from Hasegawa. After everything is painted and the cockpit closed it will look good. 

Tha is it for now.

Cheers,

• Like 13

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great start Arnie, good of Hasegawa to make their seat and pilot to fit the old ESCI kit isn't it!

Yes it is. I also wanted to use the tub from the Hasegawa kit, but that is smaller and wouldn't fit properly. But I am not complaining. The rest fits good. I have already started painting the cockpit, seat and pilot. Hopefully I can finish that in the next few days. I have also put the wings on today. Needed some clamping because of warping op the wing. 

I have also thought about doing the standard for a inflight look. 

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Here are some pictures of the progress. 

The wings on and some clamping

IMG_4977

And a picture of the cockpit with pilot.

IMG_4979

I have also placed the canopie. This needs to dry now and then it is on to the wheel hatches that needs to be closed.

Cheers,

• Like 10

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That is looking really good Arnie, I really like the camo pattern you have done on the pilots uniform, looks just like the ones seen on pilots serving in Vietnam.

There is the idea from from the uniform. The only downside is that VMF333 didn't fly with the crusader in vietnam. 

Maybee I should take a different scheme for it or let it be. I will see.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have made some more progress. I closed the canopy, closed up the wheel bays and made everything ready for the first paint.

So I first putted on black for the nose, tail and also as a pre-shading. THis evening I putted on the white for the underside and other things.

Here are some pictures.

After the pre-shading and masking

IMG_4995

And here after the first white.

IMG_4996

Hopefully I can put tomorrow the grey on after masking the white.

Cheers,

• Like 7

Hi Guys,

Here is again a update.

I have painted the topside after masking the underside and the flaps and rudder.

IMG_4997

And now after removing of the masking

IMG_4998

Then I gave it a coat of Klear and this morning I painted the tail end with Testors metaliser Iron and burned Iron. after dry I gave it a soft buff and then sealed this with some Klear.

IMG_5000

Then it was time to put some decals on and this is the result.

IMG_5001 IMG_5002 IMG_5003

I have put it on with some decal softners and these needs to dry, before I can give it another coat of Klear and give it a panelwash.

Hopefully I can do that tomorrow.

Cheers,

• Like 9

Wow Arnie!

What an update! She really has come on leaps and bounds hasn't she.

Your painting is really very good indeed and your pre-shading has worked very well. The decals have gone on really nicely too and certainly add a splash of colour to the scheme.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she looks after the panel wash.

• Like 2