Airfix Bullnose Morris Cowley ++ FINISHED ++

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Funnily enough gents, I was already considering yellow :coolio:.  There's one in the background of the kit's artwork and there's also a nice set of photos of a restored one on the net (part of the sales particulars from an auction).

Between us, it looks like we've made the decision!

Get in, you know it makes  sense,  now all you've  got to do is find a similar scale (or scratch build) an old police box,

Bingo🤗,

great stuff cliff

• Like 1

On 03/05/2020 at 07:27, CliffB said:

I'll have to do something about that number plate though!

P1110348.JPG

Cheers

As an MG fan the number plate is entirely appropriate as the first MGs were rebodied Bullnose Morris's.

Hence MG stands for Morris Garages

Real trip down memory lane with the Mk1 lotus Cortina, lots of these were being produced back in the late 1970's and early 80's from standard Mk1's with salvaged parts from other cars and a white paint job with green stripe.

Caveat emptor as they say !

Keep up the great work Cliff

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

i  really didn't  know that pat

I have a long history with MGs

This is me at 18 months with my parents MG,

IMG_2956

I still have it, currently trying to get it back on the road to reunite it with its 91 year old original owner who got it as a 21st birthday present, met his future wife in it by offering her a lift, and used it for their honeymoon.

Apologies for the thread hijack Cliff

Cheers Pat

• Like 12

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

If you paint it yellow you could perhaps call it "Brum"- at least that's what I think the little yellow car on the kids TV prog was many years back when my pair were small.

I missed that series Pete.  I see though that Brum was actually an Austin Seven (as might be expected I suppose with a name like that ;)), so I couldn't possibly call my Morris that!  There was fierce rivalry back in the day.

Cheers

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hewy said:

Get in, you know it makes  sense,  now all you've  got to do is find a similar scale (or scratch build) an old police box,

Bingo🤗,

great stuff cliff

More to the point, was that the Sarah Jane Smith era?  Say no more!

Cheers

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

As an MG fan the number plate is entirely appropriate as the first MGs were rebodied Bullnose Morris's.

Hence MG stands for Morris Garages

Hi Pat.  The reg. looks like MG, but it's actually MC (for Morris Cowley).  Airfix tended to use their registration numbers as labels - so for example their 1915 Rolls Royce was RR 1905.  So using this convention, my car should be MC 1926 (rather than the  MC 1923 of the front axle's donor car).  Now I look though, the reg. plates provided by Airfix for my Cowley (you can see them on the instruction sheet below), are totally random and I've no idea why they have hyphens?

P1110356.JPG

8 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I have a long history with MGs

This is me at 18 months with my parents MG,

I still have it, currently trying to get it back on the road to reunite it with its 91 year old original owner who got it as a 21st birthday present, met his future wife in it by offering her a lift, and used it for their honeymoon.

What a great story Pat and I'm very jealous of your MG!  Unfortunately, the closest I can get is this (is yours a TC?)

P1110357.JPG

Good luck with your re-build.

Cheers

• Like 5

Hi Cliff

Absolutely same car and colour, mine has a beige interior. I've threatened to build that kit a few times but still haven't managed it !

Really enjoying watch this build.

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

I really must get back to my Lancaster and Navy builds, but before I go here's a current shot of the Morris,

P1110396.JPG

Everything above the chassis is still loose.  I've just been cleaning stuff up and making sure it fits.

The driver's seat looks a long way back to me (and certainly further back than shown in the box art). No panic though - there are plenty of photos out there to check.

Cheers

• Like 10

• 2 months later...

I've finally got the keys back in the ignition for this one and we're moving again.

I've spent a couple of hours this afternoon adding some card bits to provide a little more detail.  Very therapeutic!

P1110548.JPG

P1110549.JPG

Cheers

• Like 9

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see this one motoring along again Cliff, some nice added details there.

Thanks Craig :)

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see you back with this one again Cliff. I've got a can of Castrol R in the garage if you want it to smell like the original as well !

cheers Pat 

Thanks Pat.  Have you seen the coaster on my modelling desk before? :winkgrin:

P1110550.JPG

An ironic gift from my wife while we were in our last house.  The garage adjoined my modelling room, so I could enjoy the smell of the TVR for a day or or two after a good run!  My wife was less appreciative.

Unfortunately, the garage is detached in our current house :(.

Cheers

P.S.  To be honest it's more petrol smell than oil - lest you start worrying about the state of my engine!

• Haha 3

I know this is thread drift but any chance of a picture of the TVR being a petrol head myself.

Currently 2.5 MGBs, Mk2 Jaguar and an MG TC occupying our garage plus a friends MX5 I'm trying to sell for them !

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I know this is thread drift but any chance of a picture of the TVR being a petrol head myself.

Currently 2.5 MGBs, Mk2 Jaguar and an MG TC occupying our garage plus a friends MX5 I'm trying to sell for them !

No problem Pat (although I can't compete with your impressive collection :worthy:).

Here it is, a 1978 TVR 3000S (Ford Essex V6 engine).  The photos are a couple of years old, taken before one of our cats got locked in the garage and took out her frustration on the seat backs :mg:

P1000451.JPG

P1000505.JPG

Cheers

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant thanks very much Cliff

The only one of mine on the road is the Jaguar Mk2, here's mine with a bigger Cat at the local airport, the crew all had a turn sitting in mine and returned the compliment as I got to sit in their aircraft !

IMG_3586

Cheers Pat

• Like 8

That's stunning Pat.  Is it an original colour? 

I'm interested because I have a few 60s car kits in my stash and would like to do some in metallics.  I can't remember when metallic colours first became widely available?

Cheers

Hi Cliff

When i found the car, it was half in half out of a shed, and a strange blue colour.

We stripped the car right back to a bare shell and found the original colour behind the heater box.

According to the original build sheet it is Imperial Maroon, which i believe looks more like a pearlesnt than a metallic.

I will dig out a better picture of it just after it was sprayed.

Edit Picture below

IMG_2161

Do you have a Mark 2 kit to build ?

cheers Pat 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Cliff

When i found the car, it was half in half out of a shed, and a strange blue colour.

We stripped the car right back to a bare shell and found the original colour behind the heater box.

According to the original build sheet it is Imperial Maroon, which i believe looks more like a pearlesnt than a metallic.

I will dig out a better picture of it just after it was sprayed.

Do you have a Mark 2 kit to build ?

cheers Pat 

Great idea for you, Pat, to reproduce your 'pride and joy' - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-great-britain-h-902-jaguar-24-litre--180204 (I think it is meant to be 2.4litre BTW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Great idea for you, Pat, to reproduce your 'pride and joy' - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-great-britain-h-902-jaguar-24-litre--180204 (I think it is meant to be 2.4litre BTW).

You are shocking, I'm trying to reduce my stash and you are tempting me into additional purchases.....

Which following you lead brought me to this

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24151-jaguar-mkii-saloon--129353

Must resist, must resist....but I do have some paint left over !

Cheers Pat

PS Cliff please rescue me by updating us on the Bullnose !

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

You are shocking, I'm trying to reduce my stash and you are tempting me into additional purchases.....

Which following you lead brought me to this

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-24151-jaguar-mkii-saloon--129353

Must resist, must resist....but I do have some paint left over !

Cheers Pat

PS Cliff please rescue me by updating us on the Bullnose !

The longer you fight it, the more it's going to hurt.

You know it going to happen...so you might as well just get it over with.  :poke:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2