1/700 HMS Cambeltown (Flyhawk)

Having found this kit as a surprise bonus in my Flyhawk Gold Edition upgrade set to their 1/700 SMS Lützow I thought I’d make this one first to practice in this tiny scale. I found it extremely challenging! I’m not there yet, but it’s been a great learning experience.

Not sure if I’ve got the Mountbatten Pink quite right? Just hand mixed Vallejo acrylics. I’ll be getting some of Jamie’s (Sovereign Hobbies) paints for the next build.

The (much simplified!) rigging was Uschi. I tried stretched sprue, but I couldn’t get on with it in this scale. It doesn’t look that great, any tips here would be most welcome.

The kit is amazing, but some of the small, thin parts were warped due to their fine nature.

Anyway, here she is...

Thanks,

Guy

Brief build log in the Lützow thread...

412946-C5-F21-C-48-D6-81-E5-BA98-F41-F2-

C8-AD998-C-5-B97-4349-A184-3-CFB87416113

185-E7-CF2-131-C-4663-88-E1-B220951061-C

7-D813358-51-B8-4-A84-99-FF-FB2-CC093-A6

71-CD896-A-2-CA6-4-CED-BD97-99-F1-F2-A52

929752-CC-0290-44-F9-8-D37-8-E6127393-CB

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 26

Thank you for the comments.

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Seriously impressive stuff for such a small scale.  Even more so when one realises that your WIP only started 4 days ago!

I do seem to race through kits, I don’t think I’d improve by going slower though - just my natural pace! I’m so glad I did this one first - learnt a lot...

I have this and a few other Flyhawk 1/700 kits in my stash. I've not started them yet as I need to invest in some quality magnification to deal with the small parts.

Great build by the way!

Great finish there, wait, 4 days!!! Brilliant finish!

Only thing I'd say is that the mast looks weird. Bit too bulky? Looks like it's not going to support the rigging for long either as the yards look bowed? 

Is that the one from the kit? Could be worth making your own masts from brass rod going forward?

Still looks great though!

Geoff. 

Thanks 😊

30 minutes ago, Bugle07 said:

Great finish there, wait, 4 days!!! Brilliant finish!

Only thing I'd say is that the mast looks weird. Bit too bulky? Looks like it's not going to support the rigging for long either as the yards look bowed? 

Is that the one from the kit? Could be worth making your own masts from brass rod going forward?

Still looks great though!

Geoff. 

You're quite right Geoff, the kit one was warped, I made a nice one of brass but couldn’t get the cross beam to stay fixed on no mater what I did (perhaps I ought to get a solder kit?) so ended up doing a rather poor effort out of plastic rod...

Guy

Hi Gisbod

what a little "jewel"!  However, the smaller the scale, the greater the problem with the plastic masts!

I was successful when I sawed metal wire in half, and then fixed it with CA glue. I think it will be worth to trie.

My eyes and sometimes shaky hands require a larger scale, on the other hand, 1/200 is too big (space requirement)

and too tedious for me. I like also "fast builds".

Regards

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
new text