RFI: Night Intruder Hurricane IIc 1/48 Hasegawa

Greetings Brits...  I recently joined the forum, and I got a lot of help from you all on scoping information for a Night Intruder Hurricane IIc...  I have always wanted to make a Hurricane in this scheme with Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green Topside and Black Underside, with the Red Codes that were eventually applied over the original Sky Codes...  This is a cool scheme on a hurricane and complements the all the models we make in the usual fighter day camouflage.

This is a Hasegawa 1/48 Kit, with some extras added to improve the model...  I first applied the extra PE seat belt harness left over from the Tamiya Spitfire to improve the interior...  Then ordered Quick Boost Resin External Tanks and Resin 'Type B' Cannons as the original Night Duty LK-R aircraft had.  It was great that Quick Boost offers the different cannon types so we can make the correct armament for our Hurricane IIc!  Next I used Techmod Decals Hurricane Insignia Sheet for the Proper Roundels...  Then I used Fantasy Printworks 27" Tall Dull Red RAF codes...  I did have to touch them up with some paint because they didn't match the insignia's (and I like all the colors to match)...  well the end of a long journey and a dream fulfilled for a Night Intruder scheme Hurricane!

Oh the best part...  I did learn that this camouflage was field applied and is a unique pattern.  It is different than the standard RAF Hurricane patterns.  I searched for many photos of this squadron 'LK' and found some great in-flight photos with other aircraft with this same scheme.  They consistently applied this to many aircraft so it was something they patterned.  I was able to generate a reasonable sketch of the pattern as the Left Upper wing was visible and outer half of the right outer wing upper was visible...  I had to conjecture the right side of the fuselage (but continued the wrap from the visible left side) and conjecture the inner/upper right wing appearance that was not visible in photos...

Here it is on the workbench, Ready for Inspection!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for checking it out and all the help!

-Bob

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful build Bob!   You've done some seriously fine modeling here sir! :clap2:  And of course, welcome to BritModeller! 🍻

Your title sure caught my eye!   One of the first build I posted here was a MkII "Night Intruder" too.  You might find another scheme interesting:

Hobbycraft Hurricane IIC Night Intruder

20 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

It does look striking in those colors.  Your paintwork is outstanding, and the subtle weathering really adds to it.

Cheers,

Mark

I am very glad you noticed the subtle weathering...  I used to just do 1/72 and airbrush solid colors...  But now after watching youtube videos and moving up to 1/48th I tried pre-shading and loved the results...  Now I also have found a great effect in the mottling and painting a panel at a time...  I am just learning, but seem to have a knack for a more realistic appearance with the pre shade process...  I have only done this on the last few models and so I am still learning...  This came out nice...

I was stumped by what to do on the all black underside...  as I usually use the black already in my preshading...  So here I used a Flat Euro 1 Grey (very dark grey) in the preshading panel accents...  Then did the panels in Gunsie C92 Semi Gloss Black...  I liked how it came out...  Even though its all black in the underside, you can see the panel lines accented by the flat charcoal grey...  So it adds dimension and interest in the monochromatic color underside...

Edited by Tokyo Raider

From your description of what you did during painting, it sounds like you're getting model building down to a science. Great work and a beautiful model.