1/32 Revell Hurricane Mk 1+++FINISHED+++

I have chosen this kit as, i think, it was the first non 1/72 model i ever built. 

I had always liked the bigger scale stuff after my Dad built me a 1/24 Airfix Spitfire kit, which had the motor for the prop. I could never save up enough for the 1/24 Airfix Hurricane so the Revell one was what i got. 

I remember back in the early 70's Revell had a large range of 1/32 scale aircraft kits - i always wanted the Beaufughter, and they all had great boxtop art. My Hurri graced my childhood bedroom ceiling for yeras until it got lost when we moved house in 1975. I recon the removal guys dropped the box and quietly hid the evidence rather than nicked it!

I remember this model well as i had painted it only using dark earth for the upper camo due to the plastic being green (i won't do that this time) it probably looked a right state. 

So jump forward 20 odd years and Revell reissued the kit as part of their Classics range. I HAD to have one. Imagine my dissapointment when i found out it was a re-tooled one not the original as promised on the box! 

My plan is to do a OOTB build with a better paint job. Thees only one decal option and less than 50 parts so i should be finished by this time next week!!

TFL Cheers Greg

49797692898_f7d96f3dd2_z.jpg

49797692803_db40033550_z.jpg

49798244691_95ab9bd87f_z.jpg

49797692638_ef1d56e03c_z.jpg

49798550062_e022a47c98_z.jpg

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Titles
  • Like 14

Don't panic, the kit is basically the same as the original, it was modified to look like a Mk.II but the mods did not change much at all, they did not alter the fuselage length and just added bumps and bits on the wings for the cannons. I built an original one a few years ago and compared it to the MK.II lash up it showed the following.

Here is a very old build of the kit from 2009

Wings from an original kit

spacer.png

Modified wing

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey Greg, that's got more pimples than a greasy teenager!

I do have a soft spot for the Hurricane so i'm very interested to see what you can do with this one.

Those pimples were what passed for surface detail in 1971!

• Haha 2

Excellent choice Greg,I remember a friend had this one as a birthday present and I got the 1/32 Seafire a couple of week's later,I had a chance of this

kit for eight quid a year or two back at a show wish I'd bought the damn thing now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Excellent choice Greg,I remember a friend had this one as a birthday present and I got the 1/32 Seafire a couple of week's later,I had a chance of this

kit for eight quid a year or two back at a show wish I'd bought the damn thing now.

Cheers mate 🍺

I think this cost me just under 20 quid when it was 're released so if you'd got it for 8 it would have been a bargain! I have the Seafire in the stash as well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hewy said:

One thing i can say for sure greg is that this kit goes together far far better and less stressfull than the fly 32nd hurricane, 

Sounds good to me 😄

• Like 1

Morning Folks!

Progress so far......

Well after checking out Dennis's build from 2009 i decided to derivet my Hurricane, so it was out with the wire wool & dettol to remove what Craig described as "pimples" from the wings and fuselage.

This took more effort than i expected, and as you will see from the photos still needs a bit of work. Rescribing has begun but is not finished on the major panel lines. Back in the early 70's when i first built this kit doing such a thing would never even have occurred to me! The plastic is somewhat rubbery and in places my micro chisel bit in a wee bit too deep. Still its a learning curve for me as i don't regularly rescribe etc. 

In between sanding and attacking the surface detail i built up the cockpit and the pilot figure, assembled the Merlin engine, wheels and prop, and decided to drop the stabilizers sochopped off the rear part in prep for assembling it drooped. 

All good fun so far, thanks for watching, heres the pictures....

49832804887_7469cc5670_z.jpg

49832804977_2bdd411a64_z.jpg

49832804952_7138de45ef_z.jpg

49832497686_b6ab067145_z.jpg

49832804927_cb79775633_z.jpg

49832497641_3a40e0e1e8_z.jpg

49831960978_a5477219e9_z.jpg

49832804852_9abe7e2e69_z.jpg

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Thosee rivets look like they were deep greg, some primer and that'll be fine, you've painted the pilot up very well too

24 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is some excellent work Greg, particularly on the cockpit and pilot.

Thanks chaps 😀

I decided to use the pilot as I did  back in the day. Not so many modellers include them now owing to a higher level of detail in modern kits. As you would see from the first photo there isn't much to the cockpit, and would suit someone who loves scratch building. 

I'm really enjoying the build and the GB.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

It's nice to see that my old build is proving useful, the kit is still a very nice one and accurate in outline so it should turn out well. Brave of you to have a go at re scribing, it certainly makes a difference it does take time and patience but is a great learning curve.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, spitfire said:

It's nice to see that my old build is proving useful, the kit is still a very nice one and accurate in outline so it should turn out well. Brave of you to have a go at re scribing, it certainly makes a difference it does take time and patience but is a great learning curve.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis,

're scribing is quite tricky and I am (at the.moment)only doing the panel lines I removed during the great sanding fest. If these turn out ok I will maybe tackle the others. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself!

I have been beavering away at the Hurri since the last update at the end of April but being facilitated by my work for remote working has slowed me down a bit.

However there has been progress. The kit is pretty much as i remember, and has gone together without much fuss albeit i have better memories of the overall shape being much better than it looks now. 

All the main construction is complete and i am getting near to applying a gloss coat for decals. Only the smaller breakable bits remain to be added - radio mast, landing gear etc.

I prolonged the build by going down the rescribing route, which was good to have a go at and as a result i am less fearful of it now. Admittedly its not been as neat as i would like in places but with practice i am hopeful that i will improve. Last photo shows how big this one is with my 1/72 Airfix Hurri as a comparison. 

Anyway, here are some pic's, TFL

Cheers Greg

49889527066_5ea71d1b31_z.jpg

49889527021_60d22295e5_z.jpg

49889526996_efe92e5e00_z.jpg

49889527121_3815b10151_z.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Greg. Sorry I managed to miss the start of this one but it looks like you have been making great progress and it's good you are enjoying the build. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

I've been lurking on this build, and thinking back on how much I loved this range of kits. 

In the Spring of 1971 - good grief that's 49 years ago- I went in to the old Falkirk Royal Infirmary Children's Ward for a minor operation. I think I was in for about 5 days and had a couple of weeks convalescence. 

To keep me in the house and not attempting any escapes into the Spring sunshine my parents took me to the local model shop a day or two before I was admitted and I was pretty much given free reign. A rare and wonderful opportunity 🙂

After what I'm sure was a serious amount of time contemplating the options, I left with the 1/32 Seafire. Engine, sliding canopy, retractable undercarriage, I  loved that model. 

Over the years I built the Bf109G, Stuka, Aleutian P-40E, MiG-21 and best of all the Mosquito. Later on I built the Hughes OH-6 and the Bell UH-1.

There were others I wanted but never got, particularly the Bf-110C that I *really* wanted but could never save up enough for, mainly because I kept spending what I had managed to save on other kits 🙄

I never managed to acquire the Hurricane either so I'm following this with great interest.

John 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. Sorry I managed to miss the start of this one but it looks like you have been making great progress and it's good you are enjoying the build. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

42 minutes ago, John said:

I've been lurking on this build, and thinking back on how much I loved this range of kits. 

In the Spring of 1971 - good grief that's 49 years ago- I went in to the old Falkirk Royal Infirmary Children's Ward for a minor operation. I think I was in for about 5 days and had a couple of weeks convalescence. 

To keep me in the house and not attempting any escapes into the Spring sunshine my parents took me to the local model shop a day or two before I was admitted and I was pretty much given free reign. A rare and wonderful opportunity 🙂

After what I'm sure was a serious amount of time contemplating the options, I left with the 1/32 Seafire. Engine, sliding canopy, retractable undercarriage, I  loved that model. 

Over the years I built the Bf109G, Stuka, Aleutian P-40E, MiG-21 and best of all the Mosquito. Later on I built the Hughes OH-6 and the Bell UH-1.

There were others I wanted but never got, particularly the Bf-110C that I *really* wanted but could never save up enough for, mainly because I kept spending what I had managed to save on other kits 🙄

I never managed to acquire the Hurricane either so I'm following this with great interest.

John 

Cheers guys,

I have been lax posting progress pics with this one but have managed to push it over the finish line in the last few days. To be fair there were only 50 odd parts in this so I should have finished it sooner.

Photos will follow shortly. 

Cheers Greg 👍

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling
  • Like 3

Well looks like i'm done with this one.

A nice kit to build that could still be a great model with lots mor eTLC than i gave it!

Thanks to all who have watched, commented or liked, all the support and interest is much appreciated. 

Here are some photos to be going on with, i will take different ones for the gallery later,

Cheers Greg

49940296518_fd94d72f26_z.jpg

49940810996_29527bb682_z.jpg

49940810971_e9305a4eaf_z.jpg

49940296463_7d2c3b1cef_z.jpg

49940810931_151e28ce09_z.jpg

49940810911_e914f58f03_z.jpg

49941112507_fbfed66460_z.jpg

49941112472_0c7b1b671d_z.jpg

• Like 9