Airfix Black Widow - Finished.

Wow!

Mark your detail work just looks fantastic and is going to make a huge difference to the finished model.

34 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I hope people don't think that adding so much extra detail isn't in the spirit of the GB, but It's what I use to do as a kid but without being able draw on such reliable supplies of manual dexterity. patience, materiel and disposable income, anyway I'm really enjoying it!

You can add as much or as little to your model as you like, that is one of the brilliant things about Paul's ideas for this GB, there is no right or wrong and you can build it like an enthusiastic 5 year old (most of my build still look like this!) or you can add whatever details or resin sets you want.

I'm really enjoying this one Mark!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Evening all,

3 hours ago, Hewy said:

Awsome mark ,really impressive 72nd scale fettling

Thanks @Hewy its a test for the eyesight to be sure.

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Wow!

Mark your detail work just looks fantastic and is going to make a huge difference to the finished model.

You can add as much or as little to your model as you like, that is one of the brilliant things about Paul's ideas for this GB, there is no right or wrong and you can build it like an enthusiastic 5 year old (most of my build still look like this!) or you can add whatever details or resin sets you want.

I'm really enjoying this one Mark!

Glad you're enjoying it Craig, I certainly am.

A little more progress this evening got some primer and paint on the forward cockpit and seats:

49898881196_4139a064d8_b.jpg

The dials on the IP are actually leftovers from my 1/48 P-47 a while back plus some bits PE from my Lancaster and an old Blenheim build.

49898881321_1a6cd5457f_b.jpg

Its all been given a brown wash of Tamiya panel line accent.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 15

Afternoon all,

The Black widow is now looking like an aeroplane;

49923272661_7338daeb49_b.jpg

The main assembly is complete...it took a lot of filling and sanding to complement the expletives and curses when trying to get the parts glued together in some semblance of the correct geometry. The starboard vertical tail is slightly canted in, it doesn't look too bad from the front but is very noticeable when vied from directly astern. 14 grams of shot in the nose, hope it enough no where else for any more to go!

Other than that I have spent considerable time just cleaning up the various parts of the kit, the external tank halves barely matched each other at all so they have been sanded to a very thin wall in some places. The tyres looked very 'skinny' to me so I have shimmed them out a bit and had a go, reasonably successfully, at scribing a tread pattern on one with a razor saw I'll follow suit with the other. one concern is the main gear legs which are very weak at the olio point I can imagine the model looking a bit knock-knee'd after a couple of years!

49923272861_2f040aebfd_b.jpg

The engines are actually molded very nicely, you can even see a suggestions of bolts just inside the ring of cylinders......shame really because when installed in the cowling and with the props fitted you won't see anything at all! The clear parts have been fettled to fit and dipped ready for fitting. Plus the top mounted turret has been drilled ready for some brass rod gun barrels

The front and rear 'offices' have been finished off with the exception of the seat and sighting aid actually with the latter not sure if it should be fitted at all, still researching that bit:

49923272956_9a91964487_b.jpg

The floor of the front cockpit is pure fiction with no entry hatch or ladder etc.

49923576702_3975544473_b.jpg

Still lots of filler cleaning up to do around the airframe but at least I've got the P-61 to virtually the same state as the Greif.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 15

Evening all,

Had a mammoth masking session yesterday and got to prime the P-61 this evening, which showed up a fair bit of remedial work that requires attention:

49939157716_fc41c3f7dc_b.jpg

I have decided to use some AK worn effects solution to try and get a the hard working war machine look, so the black primer is a base for some metallics and Yellow chromate which has to be sprayed in the wheel wells anyway.

Cheers

Mark.

• Like 10

Evening all,

Preparation of the Black Widow for some paint treatments and a lot of masking of bits and bobs continued with the application and sealing of some Vallejo Metal Colour, I used various shades, most of it will be covered up but I just wanted to make sure there was some variation so it doesn't look too uniform or contrived. The metallics have been sealed with a sprayed coat of Klear. the next stage is to apply a couple of coats of AK's Worn Effects solution, I've used it twice before the first time successfully the second not so much so we'll see. Over that will be the Yellow Chromate which will be washed, chipped and scumbled away to expose the metallic as appropriate for the specific area of the airframe and then sealed and the process repeated with the overall black. That's the plan...and you know what they say about plans right!

Anyway the progress:

49957021956_95f13e7208_b.jpg

The nose hasn't been done in metallic because, well it weren't metallic were it! Perspex apparently.

49957306807_a092cd224e_b.jpg

49957022171_76941c6a5d_b.jpg

And some of the bits and bobs also sprayed metallic, the engine cowlings are going to be my trial pieces, the cooling flaps are in red so actually the most fiddling about to do the chipping and wear.

Cheers

Mark.

• Like 8

Hi all,

I've started on the painting process for the P-61, after testing out the AK worn Effects on the cooling flaps, which worked fine; although the results are quite small and subtle.....

49976941383_2d1c17f6c6_b.jpg

.....It gave me confidence to use it on the whole model, so a couple of coats were applied to the sealed in metallic and when that was dry I sprayed a single medium coat of Yellow Chromate, before it was completely dry I activated the chipping solution with plain water and by dragging a brush over the areas that I felt would get the most wear got back to the metallic underlayer a few scratches were made with a cocktail stick as well:

49976941453_91ae21ace7_b.jpg

This will now be sealed again and the process repeated with the black finish.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 10

Evening all,

An evening of spraying and weathering using AK's worn effects again over the whole of the main assembly (where appropriate):

49992281183_309f5d3f73_b.jpg

I'm fairly pleased with the result as I managed to achieve two effects, some of the Yellow Chromate shows through where there is general wear and just the metallic shows where there is chipping.  The Clear part masking is slightly less successful as the framing is very thin in places, so some paint brush intervention is going to be required.

I've just fitted the engine assemblies and applied the first coat of Klear to seal it all in.

49992802271_e303dcd165_b.jpg

When the decals are on and it is all sealed again, I can do some painted chipping to the red walkway lines etc, although from reading various sources the ground crew were under standing orders to keep main aircraft markings freshly painted and clear to view.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Evening all,

I have made a start on decaling the P-61. I'm using a sheet by Print-Scale which is very colourful and densely printed, however the individual decals are a bit thick and are not settling down that well, with a raised edge which is particularly noticeable on the red walkway strips. In addition the propeller markings are out of register and will need some creative and very accurate trimming to get rid of a white crescent on one side of each of them:

50002754666_03b0991a88_b.jpg

The propellers are only temporarily fitted. the walkway strips will need 'knocking back' as I feel they're a bit "in 'yer face" as it were.

50002754586_6b9d94c805_b.jpg

I've selected 'Lady in the Dark' as the subject, as that was the aircraft depicted in the Airfix kit. The Print-Scale decals, despite the aforementioned issues are somewhat better then those supplied with the kit.

cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9