1/48 Airfix Supermarine Seafire Mk XV (RCN)

Given that Airfix released the Spitfire MkXII and the Seafire MK XVII kits in 1/48 about 9 years ago, I think, I can assume by now everyone knows that one can kit bash them together to get a Seafire Mk XV? And this was before I knew of Special Hobby's Mk XV - which makes the effort of kit bashing the Airfix kits a bit pointless anyway. So not long after the Mk XVII release, that was my plan. But it all went wrong. 

My first mistake was to cut the fuselage to make use of the moulded open hood and rear section 'all in one' part (I won't do that again - vac-form or spares box will be used next time to get an open hood). My second mistake was to damage the part before I used it. And my third mistake was the damage the replacement part!! Doh! 😭

It ended up on the shelf of doom for many years. 

But, with lockdown time on my hands I've got it sorted - only to add to the list of screw-ups.

The main remaining issue, after polishing out my second canopy, was to paint the part such that the Dark Slate Grey colour showed through the open hood section as part of the rear airframe. All good. But... having masked the hood, I then managed to get the Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey around the wrong way on the camo pattern - causing a miss match of colour to that shown under the hood!! And I didn't spot this until well after several more coats of varnish and decals!! Double-doh!!! 💩

Anyway, here it is, complete with too much chipping (again!)... 

MG_0578.jpg

MG_0576a.jpg

MG_0577.jpg

I didn't want to waste the Mk XVII kit so I used a resin moulding process to clone some of the parts. (Here's a link to the Mk XVII kit I managed to finish some years ago!!)

Additional items used in this build:

• Cloned parts from the Airfix Seafire Mk XVII kit:
    • Large rudder
    • Large oil cooler/radiator tub
    • Carburettor intake
  • Use of the alternative tail hook (extended) from the Mk XVII kit.
  • Uses the folded main wings and supports from the Mk XVII kit.
  • Modifications needed:
    • Clipped wheel covers.
    • Fuselage strengthening strips – longerons
    • Lifting/hoist points
    • Catapult hooks
    • Re-shaped elevator horn balances to later double-cranked style
    • Scratch-built tail wheel guard
  • Enhancements:
    • Resin exhausts from Quick Boost.
    • Resin block tread wheels from Eduard.
    • Brass cannon barrels.
    • Decals from Model Alliance.

And, finally, in my haste to finish it up I forgot to add the radio aerial and undercarriage indicators... Calling it done, and moving on! 

If you're interested, here's a link to my Special Hobby Seafire Mk XV - 13-9/T (serial number unknown) of 806 squadron, Fleet Air Arm based at Trincomalee in 1945.

Edited by CplPunishment
  • Like 29

4 hours ago, trickydicky210 said:

Looks great, love the scheme

The Special Hobby kit doesn’t have wingfold options, so the kit bash hasn’t been done in vain

...that's a very good point, it doesn't!

I've made one of these Special Hobby kits already and I think it's a pretty fine rendition, with options to do either the early or late versions... here's my attempt here.

Thanks for the positive comment!

Cheers, Paul.

58 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

This is absolutely stunning! Fantastic work you've done there - what are you going to make out of the remaining parts :D

...hmm, since I did't waste the Seafire Mk XVII kit, all I have left really are the wings from the Mk XII - good for any 'c' wing Spitfire from Vc to XIVc. Perhaps there's a high-back Spitfire Mk XIVc if I combine these wings with an Airfix Spitfire Mk XIX, plus some other bits and bobs.

Thanks for the positive comment!

Cheers, Paul.

Very nice Seafire Paul, though I doubt they got that chipped while in service with the RCN. I built two Special Hobby ones, and one of them is the other airframe to sport code letter 'L', PR 479. I kept mine glossier as per some of the reference pictures I saw. I was tempted to bash the Airfix folded wing into one of the Special Hobby Seafires but the surface treatment is so different between the two manufacturers I decided not to try.

Cheers,

Wlad

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 5:12 AM, Wlad said:

Very nice Seafire Paul, though I doubt they got that chipped while in service with the RCN. I built two Special Hobby ones, and one of them is the other airframe to sport code letter 'L', PR 479. I kept mine glossier as per some of the reference pictures I saw. I was tempted to bash the Airfix folded wing into one of the Special Hobby Seafires but the surface treatment is so different between the two manufacturers I decided not to try.

Cheers,

Wlad

Yep, you're right. It's over done, again. No disrespect to the RCN intended. I need to change my methods. But it doesn't help that my objectives with this meandered over the years it took to build. At one point I was thinking of how it would look having been parked up ready for scrap - I was even planning on a flat tyre. The two Airfix kits really do fit well together making it a fairly easy conversion - as if one was a version of the other's mould - and I wondered why a Mk XV from Airfix wasn't soon available. They're pipped now by the Special Hobby kit which I think Revell re-boxed. I'm just glad to have finished it and cleared the bench.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul.