Lockdown (or what the post person delivered)

In these strange times, it’s good to have our hobby. 

I have been furloughed and am now attempting to home school Little H. My good modelling buddy @nimrod54 is under house arrest self isolating for 12 weeks by order of the government, we have out thumbs in many pies over in the GB section, but I thought we needed something else to do. 

On evilbay the other bay I won a double kit selection, here’s mine below

ABC06D80-2EE7-4806-A629-B985C3DDE573

I have chosen my two options from this boxing.

Lets see what the post person delivers to Nimrod towers. 

• Like 6

Just now, Marklo said:

I reckon international post has almost ground to a halt I’ve many bits and pieces (decals, plastic sheet etc) ordered off evil bay and nothing so far.

Some countries have pretty much closed their borders, which is slowing things down quite a bit.  I bought something recently from one of the former sovbloc countries, and they had to go to Russia in the end to be able to post my item :shrug:

Well, as he has already said, my good modelling buddy @Hockeyboy76 was able to win two Mark1 boxings of the FW 190 when dabbling on evil-bay, and he has very kindly sent one of the boxes to me. This arrived yesterday and I have unpacked it this morning, here's what postie brought for me.

49813087941_6eed9b334e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49813390597_2f68bdf993_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Picking my options for building was made slightly easier because I built this Dresden-Heller based machine a few years ago.

49812545488_2dd4a33951_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

My choices for the kits that H has sent will be Option A and Option B, of course that does mean that with the second kit from my own boxing, I can build Option D too, and that will be the first time that I have built all four box options of any kit. It should make a nice line up in the display cabinet, so thanks for sending this H, and I will be returning the favour soon.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What are the chances of that? I hope to crack on with mine soon, just need to finish that Spitfire & Lancaster &.....................

I might start these tomorrow :rofl:

Thats a cracking one already built. I will have to raise my game taking on the Master of 144. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

What are the chances of that? I hope to crack on with mine soon, just need to finish that Spitfire & Lancaster &.....................

I might start these tomorrow :rofl:

Thats a cracking one already built. I will have to raise my game taking on the Master of 144. 

Me too mate, and the builds just keep on coming.

I don't think that will be much of a raise in your game, the bar isn't set that high. :lol:

• Haha 1

The postman delivered this today from my good modelling buddy @nimrod54

5C4CDBA8-3EC3-4A57-834D-1FA04C850658 18CAD119-955B-4481-B45C-00048C046A32

He has another box, so between the two of us we can build all schemes. 

Im thinking schemes A & C for me. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

The postman delivered this today from my good modelling buddy @nimrod54

5C4CDBA8-3EC3-4A57-834D-1FA04C850658 18CAD119-955B-4481-B45C-00048C046A32

He has another box, so between the two of us we can build all schemes. 

Im thinking schemes A & C for me. 

That's great H, the Jordanian AF example should go well with my planned Westland Scout build, but I won't be building Tower Bridge in 1/144 scale. :fraidnot: :lol:

• Haha 1

Looking to make a start on these. 

1/144 resin cockpit, but to fit you need to remove some of the plastic solid cockpit. I’m not sure I can file enough plastic away on both sides without damaging the outside. 

How did you get on @nimrod54?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

1/144 resin cockpit, but to fit you need to remove some of the plastic solid cockpit. I’m not sure I can file enough plastic away on both sides without damaging the outside. 

How did you get on @nimrod54?

From what I remember H, there is enough plastic there, but in order to get the resin part to fit, I did have to remove more from the flat area in the kits mid cockpit space than illustrated. I also scraped quite a bit of plastic away from the top edge of the sidewall to give the cockpit opening a better look.  HTH

• Thanks 1

1/144 Hunters as well? Now this is going to be an interesting thread.

Wouldn't happen to be good blitzbuild material would they? 

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

1/144 can be good for a BlitzBuild, depends how detailed you want to get and if you have the famous paint drying issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adam Poultney said:

And not at the speed that I build at Adam, I've not been too successful with Blitzbuilds even at 1/144. :winkgrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, nimrod54 said:

From what I remember H, there is enough plastic there, but in order to get the resin part to fit, I did have to remove more from the flat area in the kits mid cockpit space than illustrated. I also scraped quite a bit of plastic away from the top edge of the sidewall to give the cockpit opening a better look.  HTH

And that’s why he’s the King of 144. 

I was in the garage looking for something suitable for the upcoming BlitzBuild, when I found my cheaper version of a Dremel under some kits in the stash. A few zzzzzzzzzzrrrrrrppps later, hey presto, a suitable opening to fit the resin cockpits. Pictures tomorrow when I find where I left my phone in the stash. :rofl:

• Haha 1

That looks good to me matey. I made a start on one of my 190's this afternoon too. I opened up the cockpit in prep for the resin replacement, then had to do an emergency repair on the said resin part because I dropped it whilst test fitting, and unable to see it I thought that it must have gone under the chair - of course my size 9 found it when I stood up. :headbang: So I thought it would be safer to fit the darn thing, and with it in place I added a control stick using some brass wire. I painted everything up with some Dark Sea Grey instead of RLM66, and when that was dry gave the lower areas a dark wash using Citadel's Nuln Oil. Once that had dried I added some belts made from a couple of lengths of 0.5mm masking, and brushed lower parts of those with Citadel Reikland Flesh.

49870531923_2de59602a4_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49870531778_31de2b8d7b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The fuselage halves were then closed up and I completed that assembly, then had a test fit of the wing.

49871369872_1f68ec2e02_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49871062496_a73decab9c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I'll tidy up the fuselage joins once everything has set up, and there are a couple of small areas on the wings that need a bit of work before I fix those in place, so it's back to the Lancaster for a little while.

• Thanks 1

I sent my dad a 1/35 Tamiya T-62 kit. He is an avid aviation modeller, ex RAF mountain rescue and ground crew (electrical and paint in his latter days of service).  He is isolated so decided to give him something different to do, and I like the T-62. 

• Like 2