H builds “Double Harrier Trouble” FINISHED

With the “As Airfix made it” Harrier ready for paint, it’s time to have a crack at updating the old kit. Here’s my attempt at making the massive hole (or cockpit) more respectable. 

160C4F2A-BC1D-47D4-8039-E0D2BCD7CFB4

Not accurate by any stretch of the imagination, but much better than it was. I will be fitting a new Airfix seat and pilot in this as they were in the spares box, along with a new gr3 cockpit decal. 

More to follow. 

• Like 5

Time to put this to one side while I BlitzBuild,

AA4CAD88-D5D8-403D-87AA-C06D8B064095 339ECB77-979B-43D6-A6F9-9414DC506A7A FE6A6E39-83DB-4C22-9E53-FDF7D3AC013D

APU vents drilled out, need to find something grill like to cover the right side one. 

Flt Lt Victor Nozzle, in his seat with some controls. 

• Like 6

I was wondering what to fill in the APU intake with. I did think about using the PE I have for another Harrier as a template, but then found a radiator from a Mustang I forgot to fit and went hmmmmmmmmmmmm 🤔 🤔 

B38A402E-485B-4E1A-9CC0-EEE3D1260BB5 B4EB76BD-4C91-4546-9A00-3A616C317CC4

Job done

• Like 5

Some more details, the front of the engine is extended to join into the fuse using a spare rocket pod

BD53BED8-7981-4D3C-8280-CB9D22636E65

Fuse joined and correct panel lines for engine covers marked for rescribing 

EF9AAA27-00E6-4454-9FAE-9D7DBA12CFDC

And that’s the top done

D2398310-02F0-4107-9E07-FDF586E4ACC8

Now, to do the front wings, back wings and tail fin. 

• Like 5

Great work H, that's a nice touch utilising the Mustang radiator and a neat job on the rescribing. I have found that using a razor saw is also a good alternative when rescribing over the curved sections of a fuselage. You can still use tape as a guide, and work a small area at a time but don't cut too deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great work H, that's a nice touch utilising the Mustang radiator and a neat job on the rescribing. I have found that using a razor saw is also a good alternative when rescribing over the curved sections of a fuselage. You can still use tape as a guide, and work a small area at a time but don't cut too deep.

I have been doing a bit both both. 

You may recognise the spare sprue dude. I used the 144 Lancaster exhaust shrouds to replace the top vents on the engine bay. Just cut down a bit and one end rounded off. 

17313A71-0A74-4313-8A45-9BABA1FB0A72

I didn’t  realise you could draw crap arrows in the editor. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Here we have current Airfix versus old Airfix

3C49A1CA-A9E8-4E2E-A4BD-56D93A7C8DF6

I will be using the gun packs and the U/C from the new kit. 

Ready for Primer

7836C2F7-4467-4433-A02D-7886C9E02F15

with new gun packs fitted. Also visible is the scratch built new rear U/C door and the heat shields have had ribs fitted made from an old paintbrush bristles. 

• Like 5

On 5/14/2020 at 4:09 PM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Airfix Pilots, the only aircrew who can fly by the power of thought only. 

The force is strong with this one!

• Haha 2

Tamiya RAF dark green versus Humbrol 163 dark green

FBC43E97-E4AD-4DE0-900F-64B3C1D6962D

The plan is to let the Tamiya dry, then spray light coats of Halfords white primer, do some scratches and weathering on the white, then add the grey camo wrap...... well at the moment it is. 

The “As Airfix” will have the grey camo wrap and then decals, rocket pods, u/c etc and then will be finished. No weathering will be done. 

• Like 6

That's really nice work buddy, good to see that you are managing to get some modelling done. I am on a short break from stripping a garden bench in prep for painting, just waiting for the foreman to crack the  :whip:.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

That's really nice work buddy, good to see that you are managing to get some modelling done. I am on a short break from stripping a garden bench in prep for painting, just waiting for the foreman to crack the  :whip:.

Thanks dude,

Gardening here at H towers has taken on a somewhat macabre tone over the past few days. Two nights ago one of Little H’s rabbits died and was buried in a pot under a plant, today Puddle Duck died & has been given the same treatment. Still plenty of pets left alive, we are just running out of pots. 

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Two nights ago one of Little H’s rabbits died and was buried in a pot under a plant, today Puddle Duck died & has been given the same treatment. Still plenty of pets left alive, we are just running out of pots. 

My condolences for your losses. 

• Thanks 1

Your Harriers are looking great H, I really like your plans for the winter camo, I did a Kinetic T.4 in a faded and worn winter scheme a couple of years ago.

Very sorry to hear that lost two pets in such quick succession, never good losing a pet but two would be terrible, deepest sympathy mate.

Edited by modelling minion
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear your said news mate, any idea as to what may have been the cause. It's always sad losing a pet, and when we lost our dog Roxy a few years ago, I went on our usual walk with her collar in my pocket for quite a while after. Hope that you are all OK and that Little H isn't taking the losses too badly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Corsairfoxfouruncle, @modelling minion, @nimrod54,

thanks for the kind words about the pets. The rabbit was the runt of the litter and always sneezed when we got them. I thought it was funny as I’m allergic to them but she was the one sneezing. As for Puddle Duck,  I have no idea, he wasn’t himself. We have 17 runner ducks left, each named and with their own personalities. Little H is doing ok now. 

As for the Harriers I hope to get some white on today, but the Welsh weather has reverted to its default setting :angry:, meaning I get very wet on the dash to the garage. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Your Harriers are looking great H, I really like your plans for the winter camo, I did a Kinetic T.10 in a faded and worn winter scheme a couple of years ago.

I’m sure I remember that Harrier Craig. Feel free to post a picture, after all there may be some ideas I can “borrow” :whistle:

• Haha 2

Thanks Craig,

Heres mine minus the grey

EF57336B-623D-4E22-9437-B41E6539540C

You won’t believe me but, I will be fitting a refuelling probe and doing the same load out of wing tanks. Absolutely not borrowing any of your ideas what so ever :whistle:

:crap:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2