Airfix RNLI Severn Class Lifeboat 1:72 scale

Hi everyone. 

These are the build pictures I took as I built this kit. It is the new version of the Airfix kit as I heard that so many people had problems with the old kit. Overall I had no major problems though the hull was a little tricky but I glued it in stages. I have made the cabin section removable to show the interior and this was not too hard to do but forward planning is essential before going too far. I love the plastic that Airfix uses as is has a lot of flexibility and a softness that allows you to cut the thin rails without hearing that brittle sound as the part snaps.The decals were brilliant to work with as they were strong enough for plenty of sliding back and forth to get the correct position sorted. The one thing that would make this kit outstanding would be if Airfix had included a few crew members and I think that for a few pence extra they should think about this when they produce other kits of this scale.

Thanks for viewing these pictures and I hope they help others as much as the many pictures I found on the Internet that helped me to see what I was getting into before starting this build.

The finished pictures and a video can be found in the RFI section.

Build02 Build04 Build05 Build06 Build08 Build10 Build11 Build12 Build15 Build16 Build17 Build18 Build20 Build22 Build24 Build25 Build26 Build27 Build33 Build36

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Nice clean build and I really like the orange shade

Do you mind me asking - what paint did you use for the orange?

Rob

Thanks Rob, appreciate your comments. The colour that I used for the cabin was Revell Aqua 36130. I must admit that I did not use undercoat, so it was sprayed straight onto the grey plastic and went on really well. I hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

Just now, JosephLalor said:

I've got Halfords Ford Galaxy Blue and Volkswagen Brilliant Orange lined up to use on mine

When I was gathering info before starting this build I saw that everyone seemed to use different shades of blue and orange so I think it is down to choosing colours that you feel is right.
I've used Halfords colours before and you get some amazing results with them and there are so many shades to choose from. 

6 minutes ago, ukmodeller said:

When I was gathering info before starting this build I saw that everyone seemed to use different shades of blue and orange so I think it is down to choosing colours that you feel is right.

Absolutely.  Your choice certainly looks the part and reminds me of the orange blob I see in Howth Harbour whenever I fly into Dublin on a westerly approach.

Thought occurs that if one decided to model the entire Severn fleet it might almost be worth one's while to get the appropriate British Standard colours mixed.  Can't see myself doing that though!

27 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

Absolutely.  Your choice certainly looks the part and reminds me of the orange blob I see in Howth Harbour whenever I fly into Dublin on a westerly approach.

Thought occurs that if one decided to model the entire Severn fleet it might almost be worth one's while to get the appropriate British Standard colours mixed.  Can't see myself doing that though!

Another thing I noticed while looking at real life pictures of the Severn fleet, no two ships seemed to have the same colour interiors, decks or guard rails. So really there is a lot of flexibility when it comes to colour schemes.