Republic F-84G Thunderjet - Tamiya 1/48

Hi!

A few days ago I started this model. if I complete it before the end of the lockdown it will be the third. I've never been so productive!

Tamiya 1/48 F-84G Thunderjet with Aires Cockpit and Gun Bay

49788541927_7bac2472f9_b.jpg
49788541857_e78e990a55_b.jpg
49796626398_2496b91bdf_b.jpg
49796626373_1ecd302631_b.jpg
49796626368_5f39bf90f1_b.jpg
49797171516_6bc6712ed1_b.jpg
49797171476_f210d8b7a1_b.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you Antti

My fav is FS-271 (the boxart) which I have a couple of photos

49797683257_bf302e68f7_b.jpg

but I also like FS-460 which I can't find the photo of and FS-454 which is very well documented

49797683237_c63ba058ce_z.jpg

49797373156_715ab1d34d_z.jpg

I also have the decals for FS-868 and FS-994 but they are a very early F-84G's that doesn't have auxiliary intakes

49796882213_52b513dc6a.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kushan_Farsight said:

I really like the rendition of the jet as shown on the boxart, quite fetching!

great work on the interior details! do you apply a primer layer before going to paint the resin parts?

Thank you

I am a little unruly, I never use primer 😳

Your build is coming along beautifully. It appears the aftermarket additions slotted right in with no issues. Am I correct? The cockpit is beautiful. You have a work of art in the making!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Your build is coming along beautifully. It appears the aftermarket additions slotted right in with no issues. Am I correct? The cockpit is beautiful. You have a work of art in the making!

Thank You

I was surprised at how well the detail sets fit. I only had to remove a little plastic to get them in

@Pierpaolo,

FS-460 was an F-86G-15RE that was attached to the 8th FBS of the 49th FBG and was shot down by AA fire on 3/27/53. See the link for the loss report.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/86297

Here is a good color photo of another 8th FBS F-84G from the 49th FBG; closest I could come to your FS-460.  

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-8th-fbs49th-fbg-one-half-left-front-view-of-a-republic-f-84e-thunderjet-129295930.html

We have a few members who have a lot more  Korean War aircraft knowledge and references than I, so hopefully one of them can be of more assistance, I found plenty of good color photos of other F-84G's in the same colors and markings, but not FS-460. 

Mike

• Like 1

Thank You!

@Harry Callahan like many other Tamiya kits this F-84 is excellent

I spend part of my modelling time in photographs because I think that a good photo of my work offers those who see it a better chance to criticize or advise. My photos are only resized and sometimes made more or less bright, I do not retouch also because I am not capable of it

@72modeler Thank You very much for your interest

I have that photo of FS-613 (s/n 51-613) in an osprey volume but unfortunately that's an F-84E. In the same volume I have 2 photos of FS-466 (s/n 51-10466 which is also on the cover of Squadron Signal F-48 Thunderjet in action) which is from the same production batch as FS-460. It has 2 black/3 yellow chevrons on the tip tanks instead of 3black/4 yellow but otherwise is very similar

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pierpaolo said:

unfortunately that's an F-84E

I'm not so sure about FS-460 being an F-84E. In the accident report I posted and on the Forgotten Jets website, it is listed as being an F-84G-16RE, and it's not impossible, but not likely that both sources would have the wrong variant and block number. If you look at that color photo again in the Osprey Korean War F-84 Units monograph, you can see what appears to be -460 as the buzz number on the nose, but look at the serial on the tail, 51-10386, which does not match the buzz number, but is correct for an F-84G-16RE that also served with the 8th FBS, 49th FBG! That threw me off, as I at first thought that I had found your F-84 and the pilot's name, until I saw the serial on the fin was not correct and didn't match the buzz number. Now I'm wondering why the heck the  mis-match of numbers, as 51-10460 is clearly a G, as was 51-10386! With all the punishment the FB jets took from AA fire and accidents, it was fairly common for the tail section of one aircraft to be mated to the center/nose section of another, thus possibly the mis-match between the buzz number and serial. Is this a great hobby, or what?

Mike

• Like 1

Hi

Than you again

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I'm not so sure about FS-460 being an F-84E

I was referring to FS-613 (the link you gave me) when I wrote that it was a F-84E

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Here is a good color photo of another 8th FBS F-84G from the 49th FBG; closest I could come to your FS-460.  

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-8th-fbs49th-fbg-one-half-left-front-view-of-a-republic-f-84e-thunderjet-129295930.html

According with Joe Baugher usaf serial site http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1951.html , FS-460 (s/n 51-10460) was certainly a F-84G-16-RE 

Could you tell me where you found the photo with the numbers that don't match? Is this the book?

1242230._SX318_.jpg

57 minutes ago, Pierpaolo said:

Could you tell me where you found the photo with the numbers that don't match? Is this the book?

It was not in the Osprey book, but there was the  same photo that showed more of the rear fuselage with the tail number 51-10386 and the partial buzz number visible, xx-x60 on the forward fuselage, but no black/yellow chevrons on the fin and rudder on page 36 of the Squadron Signal 1224 F-84 Thunderjet In  Action, by Larry Davis.  The name 'Anne Belle' was painted in black, outlined in yellow at an angle below the cockpit. At  a glance, I thought the -60 buzz number was 51-10460, but then I looked at the serial. The caption below the photo stated: 'Lt. Randy Pressley, a pilot in the 8th FBS, kneels next to a 1,000 lb bomb specially painted to mark his 100th mission in Korea during December, 1952. The 8th FBS was based at Taegu (K-2) at the time' The bomb was painted yellow and had 'Anne' 'Merks' and 'Merks 100th' painted in black, and 'Merry Christmas' painted in red. Confusing, as if this was indeed Pressley's F-84, why was the bomb lettered 'Merks 100th and not Pressley's 100th? If that Thunderjet could only talk!

Mike

If it's any consolation, FS-460 and FS-613A have always been favorites of mine...something about those black/yellow chevrons!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

It was not in the Osprey book, but there was the  same photo that showed more of the rear fuselage with the tail number 51-10386 and the partial buzz number visible, xx-x60 on the forward fuselage, but no black/yellow chevrons on the fin and rudder on page 36 of the Squadron Signal 1224 F-84 Thunderjet In  Action, by Larry Davis.  The name 'Anne Belle' was painted in black, outlined in yellow at an angle below the cockpit. At  a glance, I thought the -60 buzz number was 51-10460, but then I looked at the serial. The caption below the photo stated: 'Lt. Randy Pressley, a pilot in the 8th FBS, kneels next to a 1,000 lb bomb specially painted to mark his 100th mission in Korea during December, 1952. The 8th FBS was based at Taegu (K-2) at the time' The bomb was painted yellow and had 'Anne' 'Merks' and 'Merks 100th' painted in black, and 'Merry Christmas' painted in red. Confusing, as if this was indeed Pressley's F-84, why was the bomb lettered 'Merks 100th and not Pressley's 100th? If that Thunderjet could only talk!

Mike

If it's any consolation, FS-460 and FS-613A have always been favorites of mine...something about those black/yellow chevrons!

I understand. On the Osprey book there is the same photo but the number on the tail is not visible because the photo is cropped, the caption says that the pilot was Lt Richard Merkling

I like the black/yellow chevrons too and I think Tamiya must have taken the profile somewhere, just have to understand where!

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

Not only does this build look like it's going to be amazing, that Lego-built jig is a great idea.

Thank You

The Lego-built jig has been my signature for at least 12 years.. I like it because it is easily adaptable to any situation

38471382426_102f3b3d53_b.jpg

29581259997_2edefbb174_b.jpg

46197027952_34373acbf5_b.jpg

31297356477_8580b5e2e8_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Pierpaolo, that Lego stand for keeping the bottles upright is simply ingenious. Thank you for the tip. Instead of a new kit I must now buy some Legos😉

Fell in love with that Tomcat also...

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pierpaolo said:

The Lego-built jig has been my signature for at least 12 years.. I like it because it is easily adaptable to any situation

Such a simple but great idea - one I may borrow occasionally, if you don't mind.  Mostly I've been balancing my build on paint tinlets, corks etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Pierpaolo, that Lego stand for keeping the bottles upright is simply ingenious. Thank you for the tip. Instead of a new kit I must now buy some Legos😉

Fell in love with that Tomcat also...

Cheers,

Antti

Thank you, my problem is that in addition to the kits I also buy Legos (VW beetle, London Bus , Apollo 11 lunar lander , Saturn V , the ISS etc etc..)

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

Such a simple but great idea - one I may borrow occasionally, if you don't mind.  Mostly I've been balancing my build on paint tinlets, corks etc.

No problem with this, we are here to share experience and informations

Edited by Pierpaolo
correction
  • Thanks 1

Pierpaulo,

That P-47D is a knockout! The 1/48 Hasegawa kit? I also love the Lego jigs and alignment  structures. I use them for bases when vacuforming parts, but hadn't thought of using them for jigs and keeping bottles from being knocked over! So simple it's brilliant! What you posted makes more sense, as that pretty much confirms that the F-84 was Merkling's, not Pressley's- also explains the lettering on the bomb. (One of these days, I'm going to realize that captions many times aren't much more accurate than color profiles!) Can't wait to see your Thunderjet finished- have you decided what to hang under it? I would imagine the Tamiya kit comes with plenty of ordnance and the RATO bottles, does it not?

Mike

Thank You again @72modeler

Yes, that P-47D is from Hasegawa , i've built it for the P-47 STGB in 2018

I will only put two 1000 lbs bombs (in the kit there are only these or 2 tanks) and leave the gun bay open

I have already assembled the RATO but I will decide whether to mount them on the model

Edited by Pierpaolo
addiction
  • Like 1

Hi all!

I chose the subject and placed the decals

I chose FS-454 "Four Queens" because among the 3 options it was the most documented and was operational in Korea
FS-460 needed the painting of the front ring in with a yellow that I don't have (and that I can't buy) and that should have matched with that of the decals

49843780147_5a60db1828_b.jpg

49843780182_84b63e9072_b.jpg

49842932048_691768e757_b.jpg

49842931943_78acca7bc7_b.jpg

• Like 6