Airfix Westland Scout - ## FINISHED ##

On 18/06/2020 at 11:58, nimrod54 said:

@Dansk, @modelling minion, @Jinxman

Thanks for your comments fellas. I hope to get some colour on the internal side of the frames this afternoon, whilst Mrs N is out doing her horsey thing, once that is dry I can fix the canopy in place and seal up any gaps with Glue 'n' Glaze. I then have to come up with a solution for representing the black shading on the top.

May I suggest black felt tip pen inside, broad strokes - not repeated.

Trust me it works if you practise on a piece of clear plastic first.

No prizes for guessing, one of my favourite helicopter families ever.

• Like 1

On 20/06/2020 at 19:22, perdu said:

May I suggest black felt tip pen inside, broad strokes - not repeated.

Trust me it works if you practise on a piece of clear plastic first.

No prizes for guessing, one of my favourite helicopter families ever.

A great suggestion from @perdu, the only problem for me was that I had already fitted the canopy before picking his tip up. I wondered if I would be able to adapt the suggestion by applying it to the outside and masking the windows up. To test the theory I had a bit of a play around with a Berol permanent marker and some acetate, applying a few patches of colour and allowing them to dry. I then covered a couple with Tamiya tape but when I removed it the colour was coming off on the tape. Looking at photos of the Scout, I decided that the shaded areas had a matt appearance, so I covered some of the patches with Winsor & Newton Galleria clear matt and when dry I masked across two of the patches, one of them without the clear topcoat. This time when the tape was removed the colour stayed in place on the clear coated patch. 

Ideally, perdu's suggestion of coating the inside of the clear part is definitely the best way to go, but it's good to know that this alternative method is a good standby.

With the canopy having previously been fixed in place, the shading was applied to the top panels using my alternative method.

50037438513_3266ddb321_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Previously, I had removed the small rear window on the starboard side as a means of improving the alignment of the canopy, this was glued in place first, and the gap between the main canopy was covered with some more strip for the rear framing and tidied up with Glue and Glaze.

50037438098_d3ec626a88_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50037980481_3b1a3172a8_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I still have to tidy things up where the front screen meets the nose, then I can mask up the windows and give the frames a light sanding to remove the black, before I start painting.

50038244562_b8596f8523_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Coming along nicely dude. 

Cheers matey. I've got to push on with some of these GB's so I can try to squeeze the FW 190's in, I have two ready for paint and want to make a start on the last build (No.4), I think that I understand how the resin cockpit should fit now too, so we will see if I have it right.

46 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking good John, getting the canopy on these always seemed to involve some kind of wizardry to me as a kid as I could never manage it.

Thanks a lot Craig, I don't think that I had things lined up quite as well as @825's build but it hasn't turned out too badly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With a few long standing domestic jobs to sort out here at 'Chez Nimrod' (I think that Mrs N is trying to ensure that they are done before my lockdown release date comes into force on Monday), progression on quite a few builds has been pretty sparse. However, I have been able to get the main colours for the Royal Jordanian Air Force version on the Scout over the last couple of evenings, there are some areas to tidy up and then I can get on with the detail painting.

50071711596_e49ff8cbe0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50071711471_ff7fd0d792_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Prior to painting I had scribed in a couple of panels on the nose and added the gutter and hinge detail using some stretch sprue.

50071963862_a54bc924be_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

That looks awesome John, what a striking colour scheme! Not much use for sneaking around in the desert though.

And I imagine there wouldn't be too many places to sneak away to, Craig. :D

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Wow fabulous scheme John. Do you have reference of the real thing we can see?

Thanks very much Paul. With only three Scout exports to Jordan photos appear to be rarer than hens teeth, so I am having to trust the box art on this one. :)

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I can’t imagine how precise your masking must have been. Awesome job with two difficult colours.

Regards,

Adrian

The ribs down the rear section helped a lot Adrian, using a new blade they proved to be a useful guide for trimming the tape. The trickiest bit was lining up the masking around cabin, and there are a couple of areas of paint bleed where I hadn't burnished the tape down enough. 

• Like 1

I am on the home stretch with this one chaps. I have added the skids, and completed the decals earlier this evening. I have a few more bits to tidy up and then I can get the last of dangly bits fixed in place. So, I have just grabbed the last of the evening sunshine to take a few pics.

50098195191_d20741ff5b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50097611228_ed9525fd0f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50097611093_c48f0d40f7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Don't tell anyone, but the flags have been printed upside down. 🤫 :lol:

• Like 9

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

Wow it looks super

18 hours ago, Jinxman said:

That looks very sharp. 😀

18 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That is looking great John, it certainly is an eye catching scheme.

Thanks very much guys. I finished things off this morning, then took a few photos a short while ago. I can honestly say that this turned out much better than it did when I first built it back in the 1960's. I am still on the lookout for a couple of wheels, but haven't found anything suitable in my spares, I'll have a root through my 1/144th kits there might be something that I can use in those.

50100187703_3548d92650_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50100187453_a986f633ea_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50100769521_0575270666_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

Love it John.

My Scouts never turned out anything remotely like that good, a fantastic result from a real classic of a kit.

Now if we could just have some new moulded kits in all the scales to go with the decals which are finally available for Scouts and Wasps then we would all be happy.

Very well done mate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Now if we could just have some new moulded kits in all the scales to go with the decals which are finally available for Scouts and Wasps then we would all be happy.

Hopefully S&M will turn to the Scout after they have done their Wasps, (this year?).

• Like 2