Airfix Westland Scout - ## FINISHED ##

Another place holder I'm afraid, but the kit has been purchased and should be on its way soon, when it will arrive will require a gaze into the crystal ball. I remember building this around 1968, the kit was bought at the local cycle shop where they stocked a decent range of Airfix bagged kits, and this was also my very first attempt at a helicopter build. I bought the kit with earnings from singing with the church choir at a wedding. The version on order is a later boxed kit and I am hoping that the tooling has not suffered too much, but I'm sure that it will provide as much fun as it did for me back then.

I'll post photos here as soon as it arrives.

Having unpacked the kit, here are the photos of the box and its contents. 

49813087296_467493ee42_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49812545193_dec4af0e47_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49813087561_b91ebedcbd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 16

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

These were 10 a penny at one point but go for serious money now.

Yes ,a new one in 48th would be a money maker for sure,i do like the scout and wasp  helos though,

nice one john

• Like 2

Another favourite of mine. I remember the transparencies being quite a challenge to fit properly, but it was worth it. The second time I built it, I chose the Jordanian markings, and it turned out quite well (... or at least I thought it did).

• Like 2

We went on a family holiday to Rothesay in 1967. I was 5. It rained, unsurprisingly, and my dad bought 2 Airfix kits from Woolworths to pass the time. One was, I think,  the P1127 and the other was the Scout. 

I was completely hooked. 

I shudder to think how much that little Scout has cost me in time and money spent since then 🙂

Following with great interest. 

John

• Like 6

A great choice John and one that I re-visited myself a few years ago.  It's still a sweet little kit ……. apart from the transparencies ;)

I was lucky enough to have an Aeroclub vac form replacement canopy.  Well worth it if you can find one, although I appreciate that the chances are probably slim to zero.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the build though, regardless!

Cheers

• Like 1

Welcome To the GB John, an exciting build for sure.

So you’re local cycle shop sold model kits too? Can you imagine the thought process behind that combo?: What should we sell? bikes and....  bikes and... bikes and..ermm...what will cyclists need?!? I know.. Model kits!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Dansk said:

So you’re local cycle shop sold model kits too? Can you imagine the thought process behind that combo?: What should we sell? bikes and....  bikes and... bikes and..ermm...what will cyclists need?!? I know.. Model kits!

I know that its a strange concept, but in 1960's UK small shops would often diversify. I can remember my Dad buying our first Subbuteo set from the local pet shop - now that is a much stranger thought process. :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A lot of cycle shops sold kits. the one in my town was one of the few places you could sometimes find FROG kits. My uncle Bill ran a TV sales and repair business and he kept a stand of Series 1 Airfix kits in his shop. The fishing tackle shop just up the road from us also had the freestanding Airfix Series 1 rack.

The cycle shop thing isn't that much of a stretch. Humbrol made puncture repair kits and the shops would stock Humbrol paints for touch-ups. Might has well have a few kits for the paints as well.

One of the joys of visiting a new town back in the 1970s was that you never knew what you would find.

John

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John said:

A lot of cycle shops sold kits. the one in my town was one of the few places you could sometimes find FROG kits. My uncle Bill ran a TV sales and repair business and he kept a stand of Series 1 Airfix kits in his shop. The fishing tackle shop just up the road from us also had the freestanding Airfix Series 1 rack.

the cycle shop thing isn't that much of a stretch. Humbrol made puncture repair kits and the shops would stock Humbrol paints for touch-ups. Might has well have a few kits for the paints as well.

One of the joys of visiting a new town back in the 1970s was that you never knew what you would find.

John

I'd forgotten that.  As a kiddie I lived in West Park, Plymouth.  There was a little cycle shop and do it yourself shop.  They sold paraffin too.  Upstairs was the cycle side with a few toys AND the rotary stand of Airfix kits in bags (15p ?).  The memories are flooding back - especially as an 11 year getting a purple Mk2 Raleigh Chopper from the shop 🙂

...and back to the thread ....

Edited by Jeepboy
spelling
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeepboy said:

I'd forgotten that.  As a kiddie I lived in West Park, Plymouth.  There was a little cycle shop and do it yourself shop.  They sold paraffin too.  Upstairs was the cycle side with a few toys AND the rotary stand of Airfix kits in bags (15p ?).  The memories are flooding back - especially as an 11 year ild getting a purple Mk2 Raleigh Chopper from the shop 🙂

...and back to the thread ....

A purple raleigh chopper might just be the coolest bike ever, ...no, coolest thing ever.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Tasman make a vac form canopy if the one in the set does not fit. Some builds I have seen show the windscreen about 1 mm too short.

Regards Toby

Thanks Toby, the Tasman canopy may be my best option in the end, because I have noticed a slight crack in the kit item. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst I have got quite a bit on the bench at the moment, I made a start on this lovely little kit. I don't intend to get hung up about any faults that the kit may have because that would have been of no concern to me when I first built it. This is just a fun build and a test to see if I can assemble it without getting glue everywhere as I did back then. :D So I have cut some of the parts from the sprues, made up some sub-assemblies and had a dry run fitting those, which has gone a lot better than I remember.

49878648546_fa979d0f98_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49878113898_364dc5c54c_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

49878953862_4dd80b113e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Next job is to tidy things up and make a start on painting, just as soon as I convert those Airfix paint numbers. :winkgrin: 

• Like 7

WOW - I remember building this one John ...  Somewhat badly as I remember :doh:

I look forward to it & will doubtless enjoy watching your skills at turning a pigs ear into a silk purse ;)

Steve

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BIG X said:

WOW - I remember building this one John ...  Somewhat badly as I remember :doh:

I look forward to it & will doubtless enjoy watching your skills at turning a pigs ear into a silk purse ;)

Steve

Welcome aboard Steve. My first attempt at this was undoubtedly a similar experience, but whatever happens this time it should be entertaining. :)

I'm pretty sure it never got painted - but... what did when we were kids...

So I suggest a "clean build" with a quick gloss coat & then straight to the decals :)

• Like 1