Mirage Models1/48 RWD 8 Polish Trainer/Observation Aircraft

Hi All,

I currently have a passion for the History of Polish Fighter Aces from 1939 through to 1945, I have spent the last year collecting various 1/48 and 1/72 aircraft kits with which I intend to build a homage collection to my favorite Aces. The two main characters I am interested in are Joself Frantisek (who was in fact a Czech) and Fraciszek Grabowski. I am also fascinated by the aircraft that the Poles flew in France during the spring and early summer of 1940 during the Battle of France.

So far I have built 6 of the French aircraft and have now started on the Polish ones, having just completed a 1/48 Mirage Models RWD-8 Trainer and Observation monoplane. Frantisek escaped from Poland to Romania with a few Squadron colleagues, their party escaped in a small number (6) of RWD 8's and PWS 26 trainers. Their journey ended on 25th September 1939 when they handed the remaining aircraft over to the Romanian authorities at Pipera Aerodrome near Bucharest. There is no reference to aircraft serial numbers or codes apart from the aircraft originated from the Polish Air Force Training base at Deblin and their aircraft were coded with a 'D'.

The kit was built from the box with stretched sprue used for the control wires and pitot tube.  The nose panels were a nightmare to put together but after many expletives I got there in the end.  The model was sprayed using Tamiya acrylics the green being XF 62 Olive Drab which was the closest colour I could find although in retrospect could have done with a bit of lightening up. Black and brown oil paints were used to weather the fabric.  The decals although a little thick went on very well, Microsol and Microset being used. The model was sprayed with Humbrol Gloss clear varnish pre and post decaling and finally sprayed with a mist of Hataka Clear Matt varnish.

spacer.png

The cockpit detail in the kit wasn't bad at all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Worth noting that the box top picture example is not on the decal sheet! Overall a very enjoyable build of an unusual and relatively rare subject. The first of several Polish aircraft to come.

Thanks for looking, stay safe.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 9

• 1 month later...