Wessex HAR2, XS675, No. 22 Sqn, RAF Valley, 1986

While we've been isolating far from the madding crowd, I've had some time to do a bit of scratch building on this one. The basic old Matchbox kit needed it too, whilst it appears a decent shape there wasn't the option for an RAF Wessex in the kit. 

I added a few bits to the cockpit and some rescue equipment in the cabin, as well as the various aerials, the spotlight on the wincg and an under fuselage cable and hook combo. 

I chose XS675 as I had no spare 1/72 letter Rs or Ts, so it seemed as good as any! I hope you like it. As always, all comments welcome. I'm thinking of doing either the Sycamore or early Whirlwind next, possibly.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 27

Very nice job! That brings back some memories too, as I managed to get a ride in a Wessex out of Manston on annual camp with the ATC. Can't remember the year but late 70's, maybe 80?  Sitting just aft of the open door flying low along the beach was something I'll never forget, or the view of just the lower legs of the pilots up (literally!) front.

Ian

• Like 1

Great job. Matchbox kits usually provide a great foundation for some detailing and upgrading.

Living in Bangor I used to see these on an almost daily basis. Did some great ASR demonstration displays too.

• Like 1

Hello LR,

The Wessex is never boring to look at. So this one, especially the Matchbox, is also very welcome.

The color scheme form the RAF is striking. My compliments with the results.

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

Lovely end result there.

Can't go wrong with those old Matchbox kits. Nice chunky plastic that can withstand a fair amount of hacking and filling, and a good basis for super detailing. Thanks to Revell we can still get our hands on quite a few of the Matchbox range.

• Thanks 1