1/72 Tamiya Mosquito FB VI SB-U 464 SQN RAAF Amiens Raid

Hello all,

Here is my Tamiya 1/72 Mosquito FB VI mostly OOB but using Xtradecal RAF Sky Code letters and Ventura Decals 8" serial numbers to get the aircraft I was after. It was a simple job of cutting off the kit SQN codes and serial number, then applying the ones I wanted. There is some footage available on the 'tube which shows SB-U MM410 scooting low across the channel on its way to the raid.

What I'm happy with:

• the way the SQN codes and A/C serial number turned out, 
  • for the last couple of builds I've become a fan of black basing (although it doesn't show up that well in the photos) it seems a little bit more realistic to my eye,
  • my dirty wheels. Something to improve on later, and
  • slight weathering on the bombs.

What I'm not too happy with: 

• the paint condition in a few spots (LH wing root), which after a bit of research here is a result of the paint drying before it hits the surface (maybe because I was spraying when it was around 36-38 deg C), 
  • a little bit of silvering under the kit decals, and
  • my exhaust staining on this particular build.

Anyway you learn something new with every build.

Now I just have to improve my photography skills.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Jay Gee.

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

The Tamiya Mosquito is a pretty nice kit, and yours turned out good.

The exhaust stains may not be perfect, but they are no focal point, so no big problem.

My flat has no AC, so I am familiar with difficulties of spraying paint at high temperatures;

I usually relegate all paint work to the early morning/late evening hours during summer (when mercury drops below 30°C inside) to avoid paint drying before it hits the surface!

Best greetings from Vienna

Roman

Thanks for the kind words.

@Roman Schilhart I have thought about spraying at a later time, but I've usually had one too many beers by that stage so I don't think it is a safe option😆.

I've worked out lowering the pressure and getting closer is the way to go.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Really great result, just done the same model recently myself.   Did you use the decals for the interior of the canopy?  

Thanks. I looked at the interior decals and decided against it.

I used Eduard masks, painted the canopy interior green, primed, then painted exterior colours on top of that. 

• Like 2

That's a lovely little Mossie Jay.

Not sure how you tackled the exhaust staining but I now use pastels rather than paint. I find it gives much greater control, and you can always wash it off if it goes awry.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jay Gee said:

Thanks. I looked at the interior decals and decided against it.

I used Eduard masks, painted the canopy interior green, primed, then painted exterior colours on top of that. 

Yes, I didn't bother with the decals either and just brush painted instead....  Sadly though not my best canopy I must confess.

I use Tamiya weathering powder - oil stain on the exhausts.   Crushed pastel also works well.  

• Thanks 1