Engine air brake

marky sparky

Well, that looks different!

I understand the principle of swirl to reduce noise.  It's one of the reasons for the scalloped cowling on the B787.  I'm not sure how this will apply to large turbofan engines where the majority of the thrust (up to 85% in some engines) is generated by the bypass air.  The exhaust gas stream on a RR Trent, as an example, produces very little thrust.

Looks like an alternative for "reverse thrust" on landing, directing some of the thrust slightly forwards.

Interesting.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:41 PM, klubman01 said:

... large turbofan engines where the majority of the thrust (up to 85% in some engines) is generated by the bypass air.

I've taken to calling the amount of propulsion due to rotating blades "propellor driven". A mate of mine is 1st officer on a dreamliner & I ask him how his prop aircraft is handling nowadays... He laughs.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, hairystick said:

Looks like an alternative for "reverse thrust" on landing, directing some of the thrust slightly forwards.

Interesting.

To me it looks more like eliminating spool up times when you are at low thrust settings but need a lot suddenly.  Like go arounds, missed arrestor cables, etc...

So mire like a thrust killer than a drag increaser....

Might be wrong though....

Edited by exdraken

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

To me it looks more like eliminating spool up times when you are at low thrust settings but need a lot suddenly.  Like go arounds, missed arrestor cables, etc...

So mire like a thrust killer than a drag increaser....

Might be wrong though....

A bit like the Blackburn Buccaneer did?

The earlier engines were slow to spool up so the engines were kept at power with the tail airbrakes open. Good for carrier landings.

• Like 1