Hasegawa Spitfire Mk. I 1/72

30+ years ago as a boy of 7, the loan of a video with Battle of Britain to a boy with an interest in aviation and ww2, led to an enduring love of all things Spitfire  and the the purchase of this same kit with saved birthday/pocket money for the princely sum of $10 (ironically this one only cost me 3x that including postage!).

From there I have bought and built numerous spitfires over the years, but I always remember my first one fondly!

will do this one without too many bells and whistles. Just to channel that inner 7 year old. Been looking forward to this one!

Nostalgia build!

Hasegawa Spitfire old school!

• Like 13

Another great choice and one I recall building (badly) when I was young. I loved the flat canopy and two blade prop option and I credit this kit to my longtime love for early Spitfires. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 2

John Menzies, which was a big Scottish newsagents chain, sold a lot of kits in the 1970s and were the first place I ever saw Hasegawa stuff, including the Spitfire. The first Hasegawa kit I ever got was from Menzies in Falkirk,  the Fuji T-1 jet trainer. It looked like a 2 seat Sabre. Nice little kit. 

John 

• 1 month later...

Have not forgotten this GB!

Finally on leave and underway. 
After a hectic few weeks of children’s birthdays, parents visiting, assignments and all the bumf of adulthood it’s therapeutic to get reacquainted with an old friend and put down some paint and glue something spitfire shaped together!

Old school Spitfire

going together nice and quickly!

Quick build!

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 6

On 4/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, John said:

John Menzies, which was a big Scottish newsagents chain, sold a lot of kits in the 1970s and were the first place I ever saw Hasegawa stuff, including the Spitfire. The first Hasegawa kit I ever got was from Menzies in Falkirk,  the Fuji T-1 jet trainer. It looked like a 2 seat Sabre. Nice little kit. 

John 

Hi John.

The local Menzies closed about 30 years ago - are they still in business? I picked up an Airfix B 29 in a battered box for a few quid in their closing down sale - must build it sometime. I seem to remember somebody on TV saying their name should be pronounced "Minghiz" - the English language is bad enough at times (Mainwairing = Mannering, Cholmondley = Chumley etc) but throw in Scottish local variations and no wonder visitors get confused, and that is before they come down here to Wales! 

Apologies for thread hijack.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi John.

The local Menzies closed about 30 years ago - are they still in business? I picked up an Airfix B 29 in a battered box for a few quid in their closing down sale - must build it sometime. I seem to remember somebody on TV saying their name should be pronounced "Minghiz" - the English language is bad enough at times (Mainwairing = Mannering, Cholmondley = Chumley etc) but throw in Scottish local variations and no wonder visitors get confused, and that is before they come down here to Wales! 

Apologies for thread hijack.

Pete

John Menzies got out of the retail business about 20 years ago and sold their shops to W H Smith. They have since concentrated on their airport services and logistics business.

The name was always pronounces Men-zeys hereabouts but in some parts of Scotland it was pronounced the same way the politician Menzies Campbell pronounces his name.

John

• Like 1

Hi @Rafwaffe, if you 're going for an early war Spitfire you should trim off the reinforcing bars over the wheel wells.  They were fitted to surviving early marks later in the war (by which time the planes were unlikely still in frontline use), so Hasegawa and Tamiya and others duplicated them from warbird survivors.  The early bulges for the tyres were much less pronounced too, a mod for the geometry change for concrete runways.

Of course if you're duplicating your childhood experience keep them on!  Or for a warbird, at least one has the bars fitted to only one wing...

Cheers

Will

1 minute ago, malpaso said:

Hi @Rafwaffe, if you 're going for an early war Spitfire you should trim off the reinforcing bars over the wheel wells.  They were fitted to surviving early marks later in the war (by which time the planes were unlikely still in frontline use), so Hasegawa and Tamiya and others duplicated them from warbird survivors.  The early bulges for the tyres were much less pronounced too, a mod for the geometry change for concrete runways.

Of course if you're duplicating your childhood experience keep them on!  Or for a warbird, at least one has the bars fitted to only one wing...

Cheers

Will

I’m just going for ‘spitfire shaped’ 7 year old me only worried about whether it looked like a spitfire, whilst 39 year old me knows better I’m going to leave it as is. It’s satisfyingly spitfire shaped if I channel inner 7 year old me even with the inaccuracies we all know the kit has...

Major assembly done

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

First layer of dark green on in approximate of a camouflage pattern.

True to what might have happened in childhood I accidentally ended up following a and b scheme instructions  and have come out with neither!🤦‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

50139869423_38edeef51d_b.jpg 50139868303_f9a88745fa_b.jpg

• Like 4