This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Rafwaffe

Hasegawa Spitfire Mk. I 1/72

30+ years ago as a boy of 7, the loan of a video with Battle of Britain to a boy with an interest in aviation and ww2, led to an enduring love of all things Spitfire  and the the purchase of this same kit with saved birthday/pocket money for the princely sum of $10 (ironically this one only cost me 3x that including postage!).

From there I have bought and built numerous spitfires over the years, but I always remember my first one fondly!

will do this one without too many bells and whistles. Just to channel that inner 7 year old. Been looking forward to this one!

Nostalgia build!

Hasegawa Spitfire old school!

Welcome aboard, and with out first of no doubt many Spitfires. I have no doubt that there will be more builds inspired by that classic film.

A smashing kit ,Great back story,  it always amazing how some of these oldies can fetch that much more than they're original cost

Glynn

Another great choice and one I recall building (badly) when I was young. I loved the flat canopy and two blade prop option and I credit this kit to my longtime love for early Spitfires. 
Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

Nice kit and box art - I don't think I would have been happy being chased by a Fw 190 if I was in a Spitfire MK.I though!

I think this calls for a battle of britain trailer...

10 minutes ago, Dansk said:

think this calls for a battle of britain trailer...

Cor, that was a good watch, it doesn't matter how many times  we've seen it either 👍

John Menzies, which was a big Scottish newsagents chain, sold a lot of kits in the 1970s and were the first place I ever saw Hasegawa stuff, including the Spitfire. The first Hasegawa kit I ever got was from Menzies in Falkirk,  the Fuji T-1 jet trainer. It looked like a 2 seat Sabre. Nice little kit. 

John 

Posted (edited)

Have not forgotten this GB!

Finally on leave and underway. 
After a hectic few weeks of children’s birthdays, parents visiting, assignments and all the bumf of adulthood it’s therapeutic to get reacquainted with an old friend and put down some paint and glue something spitfire shaped together!

Old school Spitfire

going together nice and quickly!

Quick build!

Edited by Rafwaffe

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2020 at 1:55 PM, John said:

John Menzies, which was a big Scottish newsagents chain, sold a lot of kits in the 1970s and were the first place I ever saw Hasegawa stuff, including the Spitfire. The first Hasegawa kit I ever got was from Menzies in Falkirk,  the Fuji T-1 jet trainer. It looked like a 2 seat Sabre. Nice little kit. 

John 

Hi John.

The local Menzies closed about 30 years ago - are they still in business? I picked up an Airfix B 29 in a battered box for a few quid in their closing down sale - must build it sometime. I seem to remember somebody on TV saying their name should be pronounced "Minghiz" - the English language is bad enough at times (Mainwairing = Mannering, Cholmondley = Chumley etc) but throw in Scottish local variations and no wonder visitors get confused, and that is before they come down here to Wales! 

Apologies for thread hijack.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

I still have one of these in the shed, along with the P-51 Mustang.  It's the sack cloth weave "fabric" control surfaces that get me. :hmmm:

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi John.

The local Menzies closed about 30 years ago - are they still in business? I picked up an Airfix B 29 in a battered box for a few quid in their closing down sale - must build it sometime. I seem to remember somebody on TV saying their name should be pronounced "Minghiz" - the English language is bad enough at times (Mainwairing = Mannering, Cholmondley = Chumley etc) but throw in Scottish local variations and no wonder visitors get confused, and that is before they come down here to Wales! 

Apologies for thread hijack.

Pete

John Menzies got out of the retail business about 20 years ago and sold their shops to W H Smith. They have since concentrated on their airport services and logistics business.

The name was always pronounces Men-zeys hereabouts but in some parts of Scotland it was pronounced the same way the politician Menzies Campbell pronounces his name.

John

Posted (edited)

Some more progress this morning. 
Received valuable assistance from Merlin the aptly named cat! (Purrs like a Merlin!)

Merlin approves 50041541518_04fc4fb6fe_b.jpg More assembly

Edited by Rafwaffe

Hi @Rafwaffe, if you 're going for an early war Spitfire you should trim off the reinforcing bars over the wheel wells.  They were fitted to surviving early marks later in the war (by which time the planes were unlikely still in frontline use), so Hasegawa and Tamiya and others duplicated them from warbird survivors.  The early bulges for the tyres were much less pronounced too, a mod for the geometry change for concrete runways.

Of course if you're duplicating your childhood experience keep them on!  Or for a warbird, at least one has the bars fitted to only one wing...

Cheers

Will

1 minute ago, malpaso said:

Hi @Rafwaffe, if you 're going for an early war Spitfire you should trim off the reinforcing bars over the wheel wells.  They were fitted to surviving early marks later in the war (by which time the planes were unlikely still in frontline use), so Hasegawa and Tamiya and others duplicated them from warbird survivors.  The early bulges for the tyres were much less pronounced too, a mod for the geometry change for concrete runways.

Of course if you're duplicating your childhood experience keep them on!  Or for a warbird, at least one has the bars fitted to only one wing...

Cheers

Will

I’m just going for ‘spitfire shaped’ 7 year old me only worried about whether it looked like a spitfire, whilst 39 year old me knows better I’m going to leave it as is. It’s satisfyingly spitfire shaped if I channel inner 7 year old me even with the inaccuracies we all know the kit has...

Major assembly done

Certainly is Spitfire shaped, and coming along very nicely too.

Good to see you getting some valuable modelling assistance from Merlin. :) 

Getting a bit behind so some rattle can dark earth to get  a base layer down.

Dark earth

Some work on the topside tonight.
Dark earth down (Realy liking the Italeri acrylics. Go on very nicely by brush)

Dark earth

First layer of dark green on in approximate of a camouflage pattern.

True to what might have happened in childhood I accidentally ended up following a and b scheme instructions  and have come out with neither!🤦‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

50139869423_38edeef51d_b.jpg 50139868303_f9a88745fa_b.jpg

27 minutes ago, Rafwaffe said:

True to what might have happened in childhood I accidentally ended up following a and b scheme instructions  and have come out with neither!🤦‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Been there, done that!