Airfix Lockheed Hudson

11 hours ago, CedB said:

I've always loved the Hudson for some reason - all the bits of a 'proper bomber' but somehow more 'cuddly'.

Strangely enough, I always thought the opposite. Not a proper bomber at all but an over-inflated airliner with an over-inflated turret!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Superglue emits a vapour when curing which attacks transparencies.    One of those things that "everyone" knows  - unless they don't.  Your nose ones were just lucky.

You could always do a wartime civilian one which would have black-out windows.  Or fill the nose and call it a Lockheed 14.

• Thanks 1

A shame with the glazing Adrian. if the clear plastic sheets is a pain to fit have you considered, If the apertures are small enough, the old glazing from PVA glue trick or alternatively glue ‘n’ glaze?

Edited by Dansk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

Superglue emits a vapour when curing which attacks transparencies.    One of those things that "everyone" knows 

do know that! I’ve been a fool. It’s also a good job that I checked whether acetone* dissolves polystyrene - I will put that bottle back in the shed. I didn’t get around to putting superglue on the front windows luckily.

Meanwhile the windows Have been removed mechanically:

D8073720-CA4-F-4016-85-C1-3756-FEAFBAEE.

If I ever want a convincing “fragments of old glass in a wreck” effect I will know how to do it. I’ve got loads of flat clear plastic so putting some new windows together should go a bit better next time...

Regards,

Adrian

* nasty stuff - half of it has evaporated In a closed plastic bottle since I bought it and the bottom doesn’t sit flat any more. Rather the shed explodes than the house!

• Like 6

When i saw your fogged up transparencys i thought you were going for a genuine period build, imagine my disappointment when, I'm on catchup and you've  removed them 😳

😋

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hewy said:

genuine period build

There is actually a very nice model here of an abandoned Hudson wreck, complete with sheep. Tempting though a sheep diorama may be, let’s see whether this bubble bursts first:

D28-DB628-1-C5-D-4-CCF-BC58-3-C4-CB6-C5-

• Like 8

If it works it might be worth doing them all after paint, then you dont need to mask them 

Edited by Mike
Removing unnecessary photo quote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rats. I wonder if there are different types of 'superglue'? 

Perhaps only the Martian brand works… although I think I've tried it and it was OK?

Perhaps it's the plastic? :shrug:

I've used Humbrol Clearfix for windows before and, if you follow the Humbrol instructions, it works well IMHO.

If you can get some…

Application

A cocktail stick is usually the most practical means of application. Run a small drop of Clearfix around the edge of the window then draw across the opening to produce a thin membrane

Drying Time

24 hours

How to clean

Excess product should be wiped away using a damp cloth. Product is permanent once dry.

HTH :) 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, CedB said:

different types of 'superglue'?

Hmmm, maybe I needed odourless?

57 minutes ago, CedB said:

Humbrol Clearfix

Thanks. I’ve got “Glue’n’Glaze” from the makers of PPP and I did a test last thing last night on some scrap:

6-AEE30-C1-8447-42-EE-B8-D4-AD73-B3-EBA8
The right hand one was made using the least amount of glue possible and is thinner and  optically much clearer Than the others, so that’s where I’m headed, after painting. No masking for me! I will thin the edges of the windows from behind to reduce the meniscus at the edges too. The windows are surprisingly resilient after they are done, as I found out when I tried to remove the test one I did.

I think I have some Clearfix downstairs in the garage, so I may do a comparative test.

Cutting out little rounded rectangles of PETG and then having to mask them all doesn’t appeal at all. That fiddle time is going to be spent cutting out the fixed leading edge slots...

• Like 9

Looking good. I have had this in my stash for years but don’t have the courage to tackle it. Not wishing to put you off, but externally the following are noticeable and need attention....

* passenger door - the top is flat not rounded (it’s only right for a civil Lockheed 14)

* engines - totally wrong shape for a Cyclone engined version. The only conversion sets I’ve seen are for the Twin Wasp version.

* bomb bay door. Too small. Needs to be longer and the back end ‘chopped off’ at a 45 degree angle to avoid being fouled when open and parked. 

* canopy is too squashed 

* turret is the wrong shape

* there is only one continuous elevator and not split as per the moulding.

* from the Mk.III onwards,  there is an offset  and retractable ‘scare gun’ 

I contributed the photos to the  Britmodeller walk-around, which will show firstly where the Airfix kit is wrong and then where the ‘real thing’ is a lousy reference source!

If you have any questions, please ask!

Trevor

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Not wishing to put you off

Not at all Trevor! I’d picked up most of them except for the canopy, which seems a bit too wide anyway. Shame, because it’s the only half-decent transparency in the kit! I would add to that list the fixed slots in the wing, the horrible propellers and the crude undercarriage. I have found some plans on t’web that I’ve scaled and printed:

70-EB487-A-3-A60-4-BD8-8-EF5-DA32-FE93-C
so I’m in the process of working out what else to  do and what to ignore. I will consult the walk around too.

[edit - I’m not sure I trust the plans that much either!]

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 5

So it turns out that the Grumman Duck uses the Wright Cyclone too, and I have one lurking in the stash. So I’m borrowing the engine (cowling is too short sadly) and I have my Oyumaru:

23-A21023-6740-4-FA4-9429-AC47984-BC414.
Today I took delivery of my Sylmasta resin moulding kit. The Oyumaru mould is ready, so I’ve mixed some resin (badly, but I’m just having a play with a tiny splash from each can) and tried a cast:

CE1-CB9-EE-EA41-4-FB3-B840-B926546766-D2

I have some other topical moulds to fill too.

• Like 4

Well I’m going to give myself an F:

2-E8-D862-F-3-E6-D-463-C-B010-38-B3-D770

poor mixing and possibly ratios too. Even then it might have worked if I left it overnight. I’ll do it properly tomorrow. Ironically the Empire seat frames, of which I have enough plus spares, came out fine.

I've got into some slapdash habits with Milliput and Isopon P38, both of which are very easy and forgiving in mixing and ratios. Need to fix that!

• Like 6

'F'? That's a bit harsh Adrian, the engines look OK?

I have the same problem mixing small amounts of resin - the little pots I use don't do less than 10ml accurately… perhaps I should try pipettes… :) 

• Thanks 1

This is intriguing. Never heard of Oyumaru before (sounds like something you get with sushi!). I’ll be making notes for future reference.

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that the undercarriage cut-outs are wrong. In real life they are the shape of the retracted undercarriage and not a ruddy great hole as depicted.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

'F'? That's a bit harsh

29 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

F is far too harsh

I’m afraid it isn’t:

898-A0-EE0-AD51-4226-B845-C5-CC2084-BDF3

C0-F11-FF2-D8-A5-4886-ACC0-5-B40493914-B
The Mercury mould still has gunk in it and some more has set overnight. It’s Goodnight Vienna for that mould - I have more Milliput Mercuries than I have projects. And the engine and fin are still blobby and sticky. So I’m going to make new moulds for the lot. 

But first I have to put it all one one side and crack on with work, because I have a deadline coming up at the end of the week and I’ve got loads to do still...

28 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

One thing I forgot to mention earlier

I’ll just add it to the list :)

• Like 5

Deadline met, another crack with Oyumaru and properly measured and mixed resin this time:

0-EC9-AD3-C-0-BD7-4-A35-8-CE0-3438-CDF00

The engines are... OKish.

The Airfix Duck donor doesn’t have the best model Cyclone ever, and the Oyumaru can’t really squish down between the cylinders because they have a back plate so there’s nowhere for the trapped air to go. But I think they will look fine painted up inside a cowling. I’m not going to do a silicone mould for two copies of a mediocre original.

With a new canopy master for my Empire build (easier to sand smooth than the balsa master), and I realise I need some more seat backs...

• Like 9