Broplan Fokker F.VIIa Airliner, 1/72 vac

I've been working on this for the past month or so and just finished it up today.  This particular model depicts the Lorraine-Dietrich engined version as flown by LOT, the Polish national airline in the mid 1920s.  The kit is nicely molded but the fuselage halves were quite thin in places so I basically built a box out of sturdier plastic within their fuselage halves.  I also added quite a bit of internal stiffening to the wing as you can see.  Definitely a fun project!

-Dan

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Dan Hayward
Added Photos
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Very nice indeed! It's particularly interesting to see how you handled the exhausts, which are very effective, and the subtle control cables. The paint finish is likewise excellent. Great result.

Jon

Wow, that is really great result! 

I have this kit in my stash, so I hope one day I will follow you, but I am not sure that result will be so nice as yours...

Regards

J-W

Excellent build. The varnished natural plywood colour couldn't be closer to the prototype.

This pre-1930 Lot (it isn't an acronym BTW) scheme with white tail is much more colourful than the later one (with SP- registrations), when both rear fuselage and wing uppersurfaces were painted "silver". 

It's incredible that last of these Polish single-engined F.VIIs (re-engined with radials in the meantime) were still used as bomber crew trainers in 1939...

Mind that several Broplan (I know, not only theirs) kits feature incorrect prop turning direction. Have you checked this one? 

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m

9 hours ago, KRK4m said:

Excellent build. The varnished natural plywood colour couldn't be closer to the prototype.

This pre-1930 Lot (it isn't an acronym BTW) scheme with white tail is much more colourful than the later one (with SP- registrations), when both rear fuselage and wing uppersurfaces were painted "silver". 

It's incredible that last of these Polish single-engined F.VIIs (re-engined with radials in the meantime) were still used as bomber crew trainers in 1939...

Mind that several Broplan (I know, not only theirs) kits feature incorrect prop turning direction. Have you checked this one? 

Cheers

Michael

Thank you for the correction on Lot, I have to admit that I did all of my research on this via Google and Bing image searches and should have dug a little deeper to get some of the background info.

I wondered if anyone would catch my incorrect propeller!  The vac prop was too small so I looked through my supply of Aeroclub props to find one of suitable diameter.  All I could find was the one that is now on the model temporarily and you can see that not only does it turn the wrong way, but I've painted the brass guards on the blades on the wrong edges.  I'm afraid I'm probably going to have to carve one myself to get it right and that will take a while.

-Dan

Edited by Dan Hayward
typo

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Here are articles on Polish Fokkers F VII, unfortunately in Polish, but I belive  that web translators work better and better...

http://www.samolotypolskie.pl/samoloty/1038/126/Fokker-F-VII2

http://www.jura-pilica.com/?rabin-herszel-rozynes,451

Cheers

J-W

Excellent info!  Thanks for those links, I was able to put some dates to some of the changes I saw in photos. 

-Dan

• Like 1

Definitely a non run of the mill airplane. Most assuredly an exceptional build. I didn't even know the real airplane existed!

Dan, what a delightful model!

Excellent build of a refreshing subject, thanks for the in-progress photos.

May I ask next time to have an extended step-by-step WiP?

They are so useful for learning how other modelers deal with construction issues, new approaches, techniques, materials.

There is a not small fraternity here of Vac builders, and a growing interest in civil types, of which this is a classic example.

Thanks for the treat!

Cheers