"A Bit of Lace" the boys own B-17 **Finished** 👍

oh I just found this one...a really nice model Pat, it really brings back some memories for me!

I remember my father building this one sometime in the mid 60's, gosh it was a nice model. He still had it when we donated what was left of his collection to the "Caboolture Warplane Museum" (try pronouncing that name :D) 6 or 7 years ago.

For interest sake this is the mission list for this aircraft,

http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/plane.php?plane=fingelly-bitolace#.XtGsAi2r3UI

AS far as I know or have found out the rudder was OD, not sure where Airfix got their colour from....though I remember my father did it in the weird colour per the instructions!

• Like 2

Not much progress I'm afraid, starting to fit the crew members

IMG_5006

I had forgotten how many windows were on a B-17 and they are taking a long time to get to fit unfortunately 

More later

Cheers Pat

• Like 9

Here's mine I built a while back used the  spare canopy, nose blister and chin turret from the new revell B17F as they leave all the G variant stuff on the sprues. Painted as  SallyB after the filming of the we'll meet again tv series:

IMG_20200604_124612

Hope it helps getting those modelling juices flowing! 

• Like 9

Time for an update, having finally finished painting all the crew, it's time to put everything inside the fuselage before the juggling act begins trying to get the 2 sides together without the lower ball turret, tailwheel rear guns etc falling out !

IMG_5010

IMG_5011

IMG_5012

Cheers Pat

• Like 15

1960's style superdetailing that would have your mates green with envy! Maximum playground bragging rights achieved here Pat, well done.

I do love the original Airfix B17. That sounds a bit daft but the kit is what defines Airfix to me. I could happily build another today and it would be Bit 'O Lace again as well!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

it's time to put everything inside the fuselage before the juggling act begins trying to get the 2 sides together without the lower ball turret, tailwheel rear guns etc falling out !

That was always the fun part, and I was often far from successful!

Nice work Pat, I'm sure you will get her together.

• Like 1

With Britfix 77 you'd have enough time (and glue) in your hands to pack it all in while it sets. Looking lovely Pat, that crew doesn't deserve the eternal darkness and oblivion of the buttoned up fuselage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's really put a smile on my face - good luck getting the fuselage halves together without anything dropping out, (or worse dropping in!) 😃

• Like 1

Thanks very much for the encouragement. 

My ipad is flat so will post more pictures later.

Quick questions

What humbrol colour should i use for OD Green & insignia blue.

The 2 green bands round the fuselage look different to OD Green, which is quoted in some sources. Thinking of a brighter green, any suggestions 

How do you get the paint peeling off effect i need on one main wing ?

As a nipper I just remember piling Humbrol 11 silver on and trying to avoid the windows !

Cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Not sure about the blue - perhaps 104 unlless you have an old tin of Hu189 which is still viable, as that was labeled Insignia Blue? As to the green you may wish to consider Medium Green as this was a stock paint used as patches over the early OD forts  - 101 used to be labelled mid  green but I think that may be too light however IPMS Stockholm seem to think that Hu149 is close(ish) . If you want something a bit lighter as on the box art then maybe 117 or even 131 which is also labelled mid green and again rather light - all a matter of taste. Even the old basic 30 might do. If you want a lighter "OD" try 86 or perhaps 150. Never tried "peeling" but there have been a few methods (hairspray?) on various builds so I expect somebody can give you some tips.

Good luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

So, the fuselage sides are finally together, I can't tell you how many times it was nearly together when something fell out !

IMG_5014

Some gaps to fill

IMG_5015

And all the turrets turn !

IMG_5016

Tomorrow, engine assembly and silver in abundance 

Cheers Pat

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

looking good pat. Cant beat bit o’ laces big yellow tail.

what will you do about the raised rivets when you fill and sand the join?

Hi Paul

That's a good question which I have to say I haven't got a clue !

Any ideas ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Paul

Any ideas ?

You could get some archer 1/72 raised rivets and lay short lines of them down

spacer.png

• Like 1

Pricking the surface with a pin makes a hole (obvs) but also makes a tiny raised rim. That might be good enough under a coat of paint to fool the eye across a seam.

Exhibit A, done just now:

2024-D3-F5-7-CDD-483-C-96-B3-C9-EAD640-A

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Any ideas ?

A thin coat of something like Tamiya extra thin will bring up some of the rubbed down detail - unfortunately it won't match what hasn't been rubbed down in height. It might look ok with a NMF though.

You'd have to sand the whole kit to get an even 'rivet' finish. 😀

• Like 1

So today will see an experiment using a product I've never used before but read about it somewhere for getting a natural metal finish (NMF) see below

IMG_5018

WARNING !

However a word of warning, be careful what you type into your search engine Google etc on the internet...

"Rub 'n Buff" brought me to some very unexpected places, where lots of young ladies who don't seem to have much to wear are desperate to meet me and all seem to live locally apparently  ! :oops:

This was unfortunately the time when Mrs Jockney happened to look over my shoulder to see what boring rubbish I was looking at on my iPad, no amount of explanation would save me from a night in the spare room with a double helping of hot tongue and cold shoulder ! :chair:

I'll let you know how this goes later on,..... sorry that's the model not whether Mrs Jockney has calmed down !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 11

Great stuff - though I haven't used it for years as the finish is quite delicate, and accepts finger marks quite readily. Perhaps it might coat up with aqua coat gloss or something similar to make it more durable?

Good luck with the better half as well!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Rub 'n Buff" brought me to some very unexpected places, where lots of young ladies who don't seem to have much to wear are desperate to meet me and all seem to live locally apparently  ! :oops:

This was unfortunately the time when Mrs Jockney happened to look over my shoulder to see what boring rubbish I was looking at on my iPad, no amount of explanation would save me from a night in the spare room with a double helping of hot tongue and cold shoulder ! :chair:

Actually made me laugh out loud!

Good job you weren't looking to use it on a B-58 Hustler!

Hope you're allowed out of the spare room soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/6/2020 at 11:54 AM, JOCKNEY said:

How do you get the paint peeling off effect i need on one main wing ?

I managed a passable effect when building the exact same aircraft by ‘painting’ Vaseline on to underlying metal colour and then carrying on all the way through painting, decalling and clear coating before chipping off to reveal the metallic paint.

Looking at photos of the aircraft at war’s end the weathering on the tailplanes doesn’t match and nor do the areas painted yellow: it encroaches on the fuselage on one side. It’s a detail that often seems to be missed.

• Like 1