"A Bit of Lace" the boys own B-17 **Finished** 👍

Hi Pat,

Always liked the original Airfix B-17G. You probably know this already but sources say that the "lady" should be wrapped in red not white!

Pete

• Like 1

On 28/04/2020 at 23:47, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

Always liked the original Airfix B-17G. You probably know this already but sources say that the "lady" should be wrapped in red not white!

Pete

Hi Pete

Yes I believe @vppelt68 was the first to bring that to my attention, however as @Jinxman has been a star and made me some copies of the Airfix decals as mine were missing and my original was a lady dressed ( well nearly ! ) in white I will be sticking with the original as provided decals.

My apologies to the B-17 fan base, no slight intended on this iconic aircraft,

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

I dug the kit out from the stash tonight, I'd forgotten how many parts are in it, so with a Lancaster already on the go in the Lancaster STGB, I have let nostalgia get the better of me by even attempting this !

Heres the box, which is just how I remember it

IMG_4935

Had to check on the year of manufacture and yes at 1975, I would have been 10 years old, my first Series 5 kit

IMG_4936

Some of the parts are loose in the bag, which I hadn't realised had been opened, but delighted to say it all appears to be there apart from the decals

IMG_4934

IMG_4933

Its going to be really tempting to start this one but I must get my Lancaster finished first.

Couple of questions, what colour do I paint the crew figures, what about the interior, all help / recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers Pat

• Like 12

As far as I know, most of the interior apart from the flight deck is aluminium. This site is a good reference: B-17 Interior Colours

The crew should be in high-altitude (brown) leather trousers and jackets with sheepskin lining and leather helmets. 

img_1702.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The box you show is known in collecting circles as a Type 5.

I think it's the best looking Fortress box Airfix did. The slightly larger size gives more room for the Roy Cross artwork to really come to life. The banner headline across the top adds to the impact. Lovely stuff.

Tony.

• Like 3

So having finished my Seafang in the Spitfire STGB, I've made a small start on this one.

So far figures have some paint on, props painted and started assembling the cockpit, is there any of that vivid green that can be included in there ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Hi Pat,

a fair percentage of the world population is color blind. So assume, because you are a lucky man, that most of the people who will look at your B-17 will belong to that category. So go mental!!!!

And have fun!

JR

On 5/10/2020 at 1:51 PM, JOCKNEY said:

is there any of that vivid green that can be included in there ?

• Haha 1

I do believe I've made an important historical discovery whilst building this kit....

As I was painting the figures, in what passes for their leather sheepskined flying kit, it occurred to me that it seemed strange that the feet were moulded in one bit, see picture below

IMG_4950

I knew I had seen this before somewhere and then eureka :like: Here we are

s-l400-1

Picture from Ebay 

Now while these no doubt keep your feet nice and warm it can't have made manoeuvring about trying to defend yourself from fighters very easy !

Cheers Pat

• Like 3
  • Haha 16

On 5/17/2020 at 12:24 PM, JOCKNEY said:

I do believe I've made an important historical discovery whilst building this kit....

I knew I had seen this before somewhere and then eureka :like: Here we are

s-l400-1

Genuinely made me laugh out loud, you genius 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

Reminds me of Billy Connelly skit The Big Slipper. I liked the line that you buy two and leave them out side by side as it scares the poop out of the burglars 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Please forgive the shocking lack of progress posts from yours truly, first of all some of the part painted crew members

IMG_4972

Both main wings assembled a start on what will no doubt be gallons of yellow paint, and yes the undercarriage does retract, although hopefully not of its own accord when it's finished !

IMG_4973

Finally lots of sub assemblies which are all waiting on the crew members being finished before I can get any further.

IMG_4974

Cheers Pat

• Like 9

Hi Pat,

As MM said all that yellow could be a pain and I seem to remember a "mauve/lilac" chevron on the wing and a pale green (Willow Green?) stripe or two on the fuselage. Perhaps that will be colourful enough for you and Jean! Just had a quick look in the Osprey Combat Aircraft B17's of the 8th AF Pt2 and they seem to show the green stripes as OD though.

Incidentally, just noticed the Cybermodeller Paint chart has been updated and gives a lot more colours - https://www.cybermodeler.com/resource6.shtml

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I recall right I remember seeing a photo of her with the caption that the outer wing (port I think) was a battle damage replacement from another aircraft and you could see on the surface where not all the olive drab paint had been fully removed.  Looked like scuff marks if I think back.  must see if i can find that photo.  It would add to a build of her methinks maybe?

There is a good colour photo of her here on this site showing what I mean and weathering / paint loss

https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/2016/boeing-b-17-flying-fortress-new-models-and-august-bank-holiday-sale/

and also in fact a full discussion on a less than reputable site here - er this one actually 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235024786-old-airfix-b-17g-bit-o-lace-paint-question/

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much Gents for all the reference material.

My notes so far are, the yellow wingtips, stabiliser and tailplanes are a given.

However the rudder etc is quoted as violet ! But the pictures show more like an OD green from an earlier aircraft  ?

The wing chevron is again quoted as violet, but looks again OD green.

3 engine cowlings in white, one looks OD green.

The anti glare panel in front of the cockpit is yellow in some pictures and again OD green in others.

Now my interpretation of events would be that the aircraft was subject to different repairs and so colours changed as parts were replaced.

I have a feeling there isn't going to be a definitive colour combination that will please everyone so if its possible could you help me with the colour choices, so i can see if i have the right colours and if not i can get them.

Many thanks in advance 

cheers Pat 

• Like 1

I'm quoting Chris French from the B-17 Scale Modellers fb group:

"On the mission to Kiel on 4th April 1945 the aircraft suffered serious flak damage to the tail but managed to return home. It was back in combat four days later after having parts replaced from an ‘Olive Drab’ donor aircraft."

So, you can paint the tail control surfaces olive drab or silver, depending on the lenghth of the mission marker tally board! V-P

• Thanks 1

Blue, even of the Insignia variety, is nicer than OD!!! 

Great progress so far.

Really enjoying your thread. It must be nice to have a big mansion to park all these ginormous models...

Have fun!

JR

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, jean said:

Blue, even of the Insignia variety, is nicer than OD!!! 

Great progress so far.

Really enjoying your thread. It must be nice to have a big mansion to park all these ginormous models...

Have fun!

JR

Thanks mate

Not all of us have our own Chateau in the grounds of our main house, like some we could mention !

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2