"A Bit of Lace" the boys own B-17 **Finished** 👍

This is a placeholder till I complete some of the builds in virtually every other GB that running at the moment !

The aircraft and kit need no introduction from me, it was pride of place on my bedroom ceiling with Jerrys attacking from one side and Japs from the other, suspended with fishing line and drawing pins. 

I wonder if Mrs Jockney would be amenable to allowing this one to go on our bedroom ceiling....

Heres the kits, love the box art, good luck everyone

IMG_4354

Picture from Scalemates

Cheers Pat

• Like 19
  • Haha 6

Ahhh, “The Kit You Weren’t Allowed As A Kid” as I came to know it. Deemed as a wild extravagance by my (Yorkshire) parents. I’m in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

A firm favourite of mine too Pat, so thanks for bringing it to the party.

I built mine in a small caravan (Sprite 400), whilst on holiday somewhere in the UK.  It was raining at the time.  The glue fumes probably cheered us up :hypnotised:.

Cheers

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

A smashing choice pat, i hope it goes smoothly for you

Glynn 

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

A firm favourite of mine too Pat, so thanks for bringing it to the party.

I built mine in a small caravan (Sprite 400), whilst on holiday somewhere in the UK.  It was raining at the time.  The glue fumes probably cheered us up :hypnotised:.

Cheers

Ooh cliff  you just spurred a flashback, 1976 ,a red hot summer on holiday at california sands caravan park in great yarmouth, and building an airfix angel interceptor at the table before bed 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Best Airfix Box art ever. The kit was one of my favourites - loads of guns and moving parts. 

Great choice 👍

Edited by GREG DESTEC
Spelling
  • Like 3

My Dad spawned a whole generation of family modellers and this was a kit my cousin Richard built when he was about 13. Rich still talks about my Dad inspecting it when finished and recalls his quite brutal and honest comments that made him cry. Thankfully Rich still builds models to this day and I’m sure Dad would be proud of his work should he still be with us today.

So all the best Pat, make us proud and bing this great kit home... Dave (who’s thinking about joining for nostalgia’s sake!). 

• Like 8

Just now, vppelt68 said:

(8< means of course scissors or cutting...) :hmmm:That could explain many a tricky thing about you Aussie Britmodellers... 

No, not that Rich V.P... we’re not all related you know, just those good folk that come from Tasmania! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

My parents weren't from Yorkshire, but I am secretly jealous of anyone who is entering a kit above Airfix series 3 in this GB...

(I wanted the Lancaster, another contender for Best Boxart Ever)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

Totally on board with this, great choice! 

I remember building this aged about 10. Felt really clever because I used green insulation tape for the green stripes 😂

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

Totally on board with this, great choice! 

I remember building this aged about 10. Felt really clever because I used green insulation tape for the green stripes 😂

As an Electrical Engineer myself, i think thats inspired !

cheers Pat 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 19/04/2020 at 20:52, JOCKNEY said:

I wonder if Mrs Jockney would be amenable to allowing this one to go on our bedroom ceiling....

You would be a very lucky man if she was Pat. When I asked Mrs N, she started packing my suitcase. :shrug: Good luck with your build of this classic buddy.

• Haha 4

I do remember getting this kit, must have been a present because I couldn't usually afford anything over Series 1.

I remember the half tone painting instructions being completely baffling- and my dad's paint box didn't have any purple. 

Love the box art too, but there's going to be a very expensive noise in a fraction of a second when the 190 hits the tail 🙂

John 

• Like 1

Well done, Pat, an inspired choice. I'm looking forward to this one as it's a kit I still have never built. The box art is fantastic! Best of luck. Mike.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 1

I think I remember making this one afternoon with a mate who’s dads had just bought it for him.   We made a complete mess of it.  Looking forward to you making a much better job of it than me and Donald did....

• Like 1

If I was do one kit in this GB and I had it in the stash it would be this. I think the first kit I tried to paint in the "genuine" colours. I loved it. I can't remember what happened to it - that was a long time ago.

Ray

• Like 1

Mine used to hang from my ceiling too, but all too frequently, upon returning home from school, my mum would greet me with "one of your aeroplanes as come down" and I'd dash upstairs, hoping against hope that it wasn't the B-17 (again). Invariably, it was. Once it was a real basket job, and I never ever found the rear gunner. I think the cat got him.

It was the first time I had mixed paints too: blue and red to get the purple control surfaces. Well chuffed.

Do us proud Pat, and built us all a cracker!

Mike.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1