Bronco PzKpfw. 35(t) Shelf Queen revisited

I pretty much gave up on this one four or five years ago after putting in a lot of work on the interior and engine compartment. I haven’t built any German armour in years because I wasn’t happy with the very flat, lifeless-looking monochromatic grey finish I had sprayed back then. I pulled this one out of mothballs and repainted it using techniques I’ve worked on in the past few years and I’m now much happier with things and am finally motivated to finish it.

Bronco 35(t) Bronco 35(t) Bronco 35(t) Bronco 35(t) Bronco 35(t)

I put together a crewman out of spare parts and a Hornet head to give the project some scale.

Bronco 35(t)

• Like 10

Hi Matthews, 

When I saw the first photos with a bluish tint, I thought it was a model of mine, specifically a CMK 35t, which I started to test how to treat the Panzer gray color, and I also left it aside, because I had not finished like how it was.
I left it at the point of your bluish photos, hence my surprise to see it.
By continuing with the process, your model has gone from a bluish shade to another leaden gray, which definitely, IMHO, you have nailed, and those points of rust and dust, are already the icing on the cake.
What escapes me, is that you have done to get that good look.
I think you have managed to make a "minor" tank become a little gem.
Cheers and TC
Francis

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 5:51 PM, FrancisGL said:

Hi Matthews, 

When I saw the first photos with a bluish tint, I thought it was a model of mine, specifically a CMK 35t, which I started to test how to treat the Panzer gray color, and I also left it aside, because I had not finished like how it was.
I left it at the point of your bluish photos, hence my surprise to see it.
By continuing with the process, your model has gone from a bluish shade to another leaden gray, which definitely, IMHO, you have nailed, and those points of rust and dust, are already the icing on the cake.
What escapes me, is that you have done to get that good look.
I think you have managed to make a "minor" tank become a little gem.
Cheers and TC
Francis

What started out as a lifeless dark grey was “ruined” by using a commercially-produced filter “for Panzer Grey”, which is a strong blue tint, unlike the real Panzer Grey. This made the tank look light blue, and just not correct.

That flub shelved this project back in 2018 for the second time (I put it aside in 2015 because I wasn’t happy with the finish).  I pulled it out of mothballs this time, determined to wither fix it or bin it and gradually worked the finish out with different browns, tans and greys to get it back where I was happier with it.  

The “blue” photos above appear much bluer than they were live, those were taken outside under sunlight.  It still needed toning-down.  In-progress photos are a great way to see where you’re screwing something up or missed a spot.

Thanks for the comments-it’s getting there finally! Hand-painted the numbers on the turret (I’m not a fan of decals).

49831818018_bbd9029d83_b.jpg 49832660247_c04d606046_b.jpg

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 6

Hi mate,

I have also tried those or that filter, (Mig), and it has totally disappointed me, it may not be used correctly, but apart from the lousy finish, if you are not careful, peel the paint from below ... thus ruining everything previous work.
Cheers
Francis.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this project and hoping to finish it up this year. There is an embarrassingly small amount of work to do to complete things, but I can’t seem to focus long enough while bouncing between three or four other projects. 

Roland has a head, btw...

35(t)

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Between the numerous active projects that I have on the workbench, I was able to finish up the tank and the tanker and get started on the base.  When the groundwork is dry, I will paint it and then add grass, etc.  Getting there, but I am determined to finish this five-plus year project up this month.

35(t) 35(t)

• Like 5

finally a finished tank... and very nicely finished it is. I have a couple of german grey kits in the pipeline for next year so need to find a cheaper test bed for grey painting (I was another where grey was very flat in the past and now wants to look at it with modulation etc)...

• Like 1