Italeri B-57 Canberra

Well now that I have finally finished my Harrier I have been able to give my B-57 some long overdue attention.

I replaced the solid resin tubes with the straws I ordered as replacements and I am much happier with them than the resin, for one thing they are actually straight! The fairings where the tubes attach to the fuselage were removed from the wiggly tubes and then super glued to the replacement straws, once dry theses assemblies were then attached to the fuselage using the clearest pictures I could fine on the internet to guide where to put them as there are no instructions given.

Yesterday I gave the airframe a coat of black thinking it would give a nice smooth finish for the metallic paints to follow but unfortunately the can I used gave a terrible result which I then had to spend hours smoothing to a usable finish and today I have given her the first coat of metallic paint, which is Vallejo's Duralumin and I think a second coat is needed, there is also at least one gap which needs sorting on a tube but nothing drastic. 

Here are the pics of how she looks so far starting with general top and bottom shots;

spacer.png

spacer.png

And a couple of closer shots of the tube assemblies;

spacer.png

spacer.png

A bit of filler and a second coat and she should be ready for a gentle polish and some masking, probably after a coat or two of klear to protect the finish.

Thats it for today folks so as usual thanks for looking in and all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 7

Well actually more sideways today.

Whilst polishing the previous coat of paint some of it went through to the black underneath, and I also thought that the colour was a little dark so after cleaning up all the previous paint I went for a re-spray of a different colour on top of it today and used Chrome from Vallejo and am happier with the result.

spacer.png

I will wait a full 24 hours before giving it a polish, then I have to look through the paint stash to see if I have a Dayglo Orange.

• Like 6

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Shes looking good Craig, the straws look way better and the second coat helps. 

Thanks Dennis, the straws really do look a lot better than the resin ones and I have enough left over to convert another 498 B-57's to target tugs!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

1000 was the smallest they did, though I must admit they are the perfect size.

Damn you’ll have to build another 499 canberras to use them up 😁

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Well I am very sorry to have to report the sad demise of my B-57.

She met her end at the hands of (or rather paws of) our Labrador who trod on her with vigour as she rushed to the window to tell the post man exactly what she thought of him. The B-57 was minding it's own business on the floor at the time as I was in the process of masking her for the dayglo areas (I often model in our front room when masking etc as it keeps the good lady happy) and there was an almighty crack as the full force of an outraged Labrador stepped on it and it is now minus one wing (damaged as well) and split the fuselage. This is the only time in 10 years that she has damaged a model and you could tell by her face that she new what she had done, I didn't need to tell her off.

I have a plan B, but unfortunately the B-57 will not be making the gallery. :( 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 7

Hi  Craig,

Sorry to hear that. Over the last 30+ years we have had a total of 7 cats, and so far the score is the top wing knocked off a Bristol fighter and the undercarriage of a Dauntless broken,, both hit by cat No 3 when she decided to investigate one of my display shelves and a Black Widow reduced to parts (but repairable) when one of the latest pair decided to have a look at it. All in all not too bad a record I guess - just one of those things that happens! Suppose I am lucky in that none of my cats has weighed more than 14lb - not in the same league as your Labrador. Our first cat used to regularly take a stroll round the 4" wide elevated section on my model railway layout but managed to walk over all the fragile signals and telegraph poles in an almost unbelieveable display of coordination - still have not worked out how he knew exactly when to lift his back legs to avoid things - something to do with his hairs I suspect. My wife has actually caused more accidental damage than all the cats put together - dusting should be banned!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

That is a darn shame Craig, it was looking really good too. There is a reason even while modelling in the basement everything gets packed away at the end of the day least our uber inquisitive Burmese should choose to investigate things when he is allowed down there.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a darn shame Craig, it was looking really good too. There is a reason even while modelling in the basement everything gets packed away at the end of the day least our uber inquisitive Burmese should choose to investigate things when he is allowed down there.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, a lesson learned the hard way.

I'm not binning her yet as I want to try and repair her in the future but it will take far longer than starting another kit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve only just caught up with this and the catastrophe craig.
Oh no im so sorry what a terrible shame it was looking awesome and promising to be superb!

i hope you do remake this or another exactly the same some day soon, you still have the straws and the decals! 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I’ve only just caught up with this and the catastrophe craig.
Oh no im so sorry what a terrible shame it was looking awesome and promising to be superb!

i hope you do remake this or another exactly the same some day soon, you still have the straws and the decals! 

Cheers Paul.

I shall try to resurrect her at some point in the future but there was no way I would have got her finished for the GB deadline, which is why I built the Helldiver.

Yes I still have the decals and all the parts I need, including a plentiful supply of straws! :) 

• Like 1