Sturer Emil.

Just finished this ugly brute, I originally was about to reboot an old Elefant but then I saw a photo of this and wanted to try it. I found Trumpeter's kit at a very cheap price. Not a bad kit for its age, everything fit really well. I swapped the old rubber tracks for their own upgrade set. A bit of Aber etched for clamps and exhaust. I wish I had changed to an upgraded barrel but that was an extra expense that I felt wasn't warranted at the time. Too late now.

Tamiya paints Nato Black base, German Grey and Ocean Grey 2 highlights. Tracks AK Chipping Coour as a base and finished with a very dark wash, mixed pastels and a smear of Burnt Sienna oil. Mixture of all sorts of paints for the rest.

p?i=32a54f680d9a9e32c19f6069a7e22b80

p?i=eb92f79ba720c3cd766b8ab977c74925

p?i=f33fd15f7905767aa7be17428ccf4ae5

p?i=446609e7268fba0f61aa55c2bf5bd25a

p?i=5a6aa2e7fab15e863f98657e8edc262d

p?i=726ccb2743e078303282f15e060cd39b

Self critique time. The back door is ill defined. A bit of chipping/wear and tear wouldn't go amiss, espeially te gun. I forgot the aerial. I haven't painted the gun sight and I need a better camera.😀

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Stef N.
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Lovely gradients, you've managed to achieve a certain tension in a monochrome vehicle in such a subtle manner, well done. I find german dark grey one of the more difficult colours somehow. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your recipe for future projects. Great job on the wooden tool handles too.👍

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ernst said:

Lovely gradients, you've managed to achieve a certain tension in a monochrome vehicle in such a subtle manner, well done. I find german dark grey one of the more difficult colours somehow. I hope you don't mind if I borrow your recipe for future projects. Great job on the wooden tool handles too.👍

Thanks Ernst. 👍

The colour combo was one of those lucky accidents. Nato Black I bought for something else but as it turned out to be basically charcoal grey so thought it would be a good base for Panzer Grey. And I found an old unused pot of OG2 at the back of my paint shelf so I thought that would be better than just lightening with plain white. Beware as it is quite a 'powerful' colour and it is easy to overdo it.

Lovely job!

You've got the tonal variation just right I think. I often see builds of mono colour schemes where the modulation has been taken too far. 

Regards

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Thanks diablo. It's one area I have been practising on. A few disasters along the way, wrong colour choice, too thick paint, poor airbrush control etc but slowly getting my head around it.

• Like 1